Cost to change the timing belt?

Crazytut

5+ Year Member
I just got a 99 honda civic ex with 96,000 miles on it, I know it's time to change the time belt. Does anyone know the avg. cost range to change a time belt w/ water pumps?

Also my driver window always get out of place when I try to close it, and the window kinda stick out of the car door, does anyone know what's wrong with it?

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's like $600 at the dealership. :(

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its arond 1k in lower NY

its really not that hard tho. if you can break the crank pulley bolt loose its a breeezzee

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got mine done for 250...it took like 12hrs for them to get around to finishing but it was cheap.

remixboy

5+ Year Member
around chicago, i got a price for 550-600. Your window is prob off the track.

Buckeye07

5+ Year Member
x2 on $600, that's how much they charge in Ohio. Never actually had to have it done though, but I was lookin out ahead cause I have like 85,xxx :S

slo4drcivic

5+ Year Member
i work at a dealership so i get charged 100$ to get it changed. make friends with mechanics hehe

Crazytut

5+ Year Member
great lots of money... do they have to take the Engine apart?

I asked around, a mechanic said 350, and another person said 260 and it would take him like 3.5 hours i think. I don't know the guy really well, but im worried he might be pulling one on me :-S

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I heard it's like over 1k around here for timin belt, water pump, etc :( I know I can't do this myself.

1Draw

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honda Dealer charges 258.00 tax included here in Montreal Canada Quebec

Commodore

back again
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here in SF, I got quoted for $474.10 for the timing belt and water pump change. Not too bad. The dealerships here ask for at least 600.

As for the window, do it yourself! Its a whole lot cheaper and not hard at all to do. The only hard part would be putting the door panel back after you reset the window. There are threads here that can help you with that.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
where in the bay area...i live out there, i can get you the hook up

llumley

5+ Year Member
I called a dealership yesterday and they said 580.00. Then I informed him I have the DOHC B16a2. Then the price went up to 880.00. I ordered the parts and a service manual. I have faith.

firetyphoon1

5+ Year Member
finaly made it on the site, :cool:
yeah your going to have to at least throw down $200... and you need to just replace the window... :D

chunktwo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when you guys get these quotes.. what does that include?? parts and labor??

if i recall last year when i did my wife's timing belt.. it cost almost $300 for parts... (timing belt, water pump, all new belts for ps/ac/alt, new tensioner.. coolant, and maybe some other stuff) I figure if everything was apart.. i might as well change those things anyway...

i assume the dealer does not change those things when they replace the timing belt???

but like someone mentioned if you can break the crank pulley bolt loose, the rest is pretty straight forward...

Crazytut

5+ Year Member
Here in SF, I got quoted for $474.10 for the timing belt and water pump change. Not too bad. The dealerships here ask for at least 600.

As for the window, do it yourself! Its a whole lot cheaper and not hard at all to do. The only hard part would be putting the door panel back after you reset the window. There are threads here that can help you with that.
I don't know the problem for the window, like it's out of place, or something wrong and i have to buy a part?

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea. just buy the window regualator if your motor is still good. lube the sides on the window. your good. i got a quote of 500 for a timing belt.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DIY is the CHEAPEST!

45 bux for a belt and then like 30 for the waterpump. and roughly 3 hours work if all the bolts come out right. the crank pulley will be the worst one. a friend who knows cars will help. do like the one guy just said... he ordered the parts and a service manual and has faith... hes going to attemp the DIY. i did it to a B18B1 last year for 200 bux plus parts. she said it was an excelent deal considering noone wanted to do it for less than 600 and she sould have to get it towed there. i towed it myself and did it for her... i think it was a great deal.