mechanic salary?

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I'm thinking of going to get my associate degree on automotive technician at a community college.

Just want to know what is the starting pay rate of a mechanic working at a dealership?

A lot of people told me that they start at 15 an hour and gotta work your way up to the 20's.

hope yall mechanic peeps could help me out:???:

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
off topic already, but where's h-town?

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Houston :what:

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no, its in theright place. i just have no clue. i was answering Rippin's Q

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think salaries are based on location as well. you might get paid more here than there. so and so. having connections would help a lot too. from wat i hear, unless you've gradutated from a reputable school and got a job from your school, then i hear being a mechanic is a whack job. you get dirrty working under hot ass cars. in stinky ass environments.

Tiso

Tello !
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For me at a Audi/BMW dealership.
Entry level: 9bucks an hour for the first few weeks.
After a month bumped up to 10
And when I actually get to do some warranty work and other easy stuff I was going to get 12 bucks an hour and that was after 3 months

This is in central Ohio

I said f**k that and now a soph. in college and majoring Marketing.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^Smart move
That's questionable. While i would agree that getting a college degree is the smart thing to do 99% of the time, a marketing degree at most colleges really doesn't translate into anything. Most end up getting jobs paying ~$30-35k in a completely different field anyway. You can make more that pretty easily at most dealerships as a certified tech, especially at nicer dealerships (such as an Audi/BMW dealer).

Depends on where your interests lie though.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
f**k, i need to figure out what ima do when i get out of the military. any ideas :rolf:

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well my cousin is making 20buck an hour at carmax and he doesn't have a associate degree more of certificate only.

guess my dream job went to s**t!!!

I still don't want to get a degree in accounting s**t suck balls being in a cubical.

so what is another degree that pay pretty good with less work?

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the certified mechanic at my work makes flat rate. Gets a percentage of all the labor he turns. Labor at my shop is 84/hr. So he gets a percentage of that. Doesn't get paid hourly. So whenever my shop is slow he doesn't make much money. Varies a lot.

Tiso

Tello !
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's questionable. While i would agree that getting a college degree is the smart thing to do 99% of the time, a marketing degree at most colleges really doesn't translate into anything. Most end up getting jobs paying ~$30-35k in a completely different field anyway. You can make more that pretty easily at most dealerships as a certified tech, especially at nicer dealerships (such as an Audi/BMW dealer).

Depends on where your interests lie though.
I was a service writer for 5 months at a honda dealership and then made that leap to a tech job(the audi/bmw dealership). I was standing there in the garage and knew this is not what I wanted for the rest of my life, getting underneath cars trying to find little bullshit noises, and dumbass warranty work. I did crunch the numbers before I left and in my area it will be very very hard to make 100k a year as a tech. This dealership sold ferrais too and those techs were making close to 100k or less, but they didn't always have a ton of work either. The guy that was walking me through the paces was prob. close to 45-50 years of age and still working on Audi/Bmws for rich assholes. I know there is always the service manager position but that is nothing I want either. As for my career path, as of next summer I will have an intership at victoria's secret(corp. offices in columbus, ohio). Not really sure what all I would be doing there yet but its a start. In thee end....way to much kiss ass in the dealership world for me.

Tiso

Tello !
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well my cousin is making 20buck an hour at carmax and he doesn't have a associate degree more of certificate only.

guess my dream job went to s**t!!!

I still don't want to get a degree in accounting s**t suck balls being in a cubical.

so what is another degree that pay pretty good with less work?
fedex and ups are good jobs.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was a service writer for 5 months at a honda dealership and then made that leap to a tech job(the audi/bmw dealership). I was standing there in the garage and knew this is not what I wanted for the rest of my life, getting underneath cars trying to find little bullshit noises, and dumbass warranty work. I did crunch the numbers before I left and in my area it will be very very hard to make 100k a year as a tech. This dealership sold ferrais too and those techs were making close to 100k or less, but they didn't always have a ton of work either. The guy that was walking me through the paces was prob. close to 45-50 years of age and still working on Audi/Bmws for rich assholes. I know there is always the service manager position but that is nothing I want either. As for my career path, as of next summer I will have an intership at victoria's secret(corp. offices in columbus, ohio). Not really sure what all I would be doing there yet but its a start. In thee end....way to much kiss ass in the dealership world for me.
Making $100k a year isn't going to be easy with a marketing degree either. Unless you happen to be very good and work your way up you aren't going to make that kind of money.

If that's what you'd rather do, then you definitely should, but you have to be realistic about it. A college degree doesn't necessarily guarantee $100k/yr.

Tiso

Tello !
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Making $100k a year isn't going to be easy with a marketing degree either. Unless you happen to be very good and work your way up you aren't going to make that kind of money.

If that's what you'd rather do, then you definitely should, but you have to be realistic about it. A college degree doesn't necessarily guarantee $100k/yr.
I never said it does. It does allow you to have a better shot at that though. I was just using that figure as a benchmark of what the highest paid techs are making, which are Ferrai. I'm saying in the long run a 4 year degree will help you finanical more than a tech/service writer job would. Sounds like I am all about the money, but I'm really not and just want a comfortable job/salary whenever I get done with school and somewhat like my job with more to advance. Dealership you have: Tech>Master Tech>Service Writer>Service Manager. That is the progress most people would go through in a dealership and that would be over a 10 year period atleast. I already have a 2 year technical degree in Applied Service Service Management from Wyotech, which I regret doing. You live and learn I guess. damn.....I need more money