1996 Civic LX D16Y7 Exhaust Manifold

JPW77

5+ Year Member
Car and engine are all stock. Exhaust manifold has the infamous crack right above the O2 sensor. I've read that the manifold and cat are "together". Are they bolted together or somehow forged together? Searching some of the online parts stores and eBay I find that you can buy replacement exhaust headers only that look like they bolt up to the cat. Will this work for my car or do I need to buy a new manifold/cat assembly?

Manifold only:

Maniflod/cat assembly:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you might be better off getting an eBay header and an ex cat.

JPW77

5+ Year Member
Wow, thanks for the fast reply! I'm just trying to go the cheapest route possible and really would like to stay as stock as possible to keep the 36 mpg's I'm getting. How much would an eBay header and EX cat run me? Would it bolt up directly to the stock exhaust? Would it affect my mileage any?

Sorry if these questions are dumb but I'm a diesel truck guy that bought the Civic to drive back and forth to work to save money on fuel so I know nothing about these cars. :oops:

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow, thanks for the fast reply! I'm just trying to go the cheapest route possible and really would like to stay as stock as possible to keep the 36 mpg's I'm getting. How much would an eBay header and EX cat run me? Would it bolt up directly to the stock exhaust? Would it affect my mileage any?

Sorry if these questions are dumb but I'm a diesel truck guy that bought the Civic to drive back and forth to work to save money on fuel so I know nothing about these cars. :oops:
buying an ebay header will be your cheapest route. You can get an EX cat or you can take it to an exhaust shop and have them fab up a length of pipe to eliminate your cat. Depending on you DMV restrictions, this may be okay and it may not be. I know my car passed in Delaware without a cat on stock exhaust.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
All you'll need is the header. The y7 exhaust system is already extended to the header since there is no cat under the car.

The header will cost around $50 shipped.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All you'll need is the header. The y7 exhaust system is already extended to the header since there is no cat under the car.

:?: There is an "A" Pipe that is there on the cat that is removed with it. At least all of the non vtec 6th gens ive done have been.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

not true. if you just buy a header and a new cat the stock LX piping unnder the car will be too short. there will be a gap of about 4 inches or so. you will need the complete exhaust for an EX, either used or aftermarket.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not true. if you just buy a header and a new cat the stock LX piping unnder the car will be too short. there will be a gap of about 4 inches or so. you will need the complete exhaust for an EX, either used or aftermarket.
wrong. all 92-00 2 and 4 door exhaust systems are the same. the cat length makes up the difference

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wrong. all 92-00 2 and 4 door exhaust systems are the same. the cat length makes up the difference
wrong.

i have a 97 HX and bought a cat-back exhaust from a friend with an EX. when i went to install it, it was too short. i had to buy an EX header and cat to make it fit.

the point where the exhaust joint under the car is on CX/DX/LX versus EX/Si is about 4 inches.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wrong.

i have a 97 HX and bought a cat-back exhaust from a friend with an EX. when i went to install it, it was too short. i had to buy an EX header and cat to make it fit.

the point where the exhaust joint under the car is on CX/DX/LX versus EX/Si is about 4 inches.
dude, cant you read? its plainly stated in plenty of posts about this..... the CAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!

ALL 92-00 coupe and sedan cat backs are the SAME SYSTEM.

you said it yourself that you had to buy a EX manifold and an EX cat to make it work.

READ READ READ :roll:

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in post number 9, if you plan to get technical, i meant to say that all 92-00 2/4dr CATBACKS are the same.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
www.autozone.com

altho i dont get my stuff from there, but being in the aftermarket parts business for nearly 5 years, i think i know what part numbers mean.

IF you can read what is below this, the same part numbers are listed for DX which is 2 or 4 dr, LX which is JUST a 4dr, and an EX which is obviously the argurment youve come up with.

Maremont / Exhaust Pipe 379820

Application:
DX, LX model
Sedan
Note:
Exhaust pipe-center

Maremont / Exhaust Pipe 379820

Application:
EX model
Note:
Exhaust pipe

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
then why didnt my cat-back exhaust fit my car at first? why did i have to change to an EX setup?

maybe because they are different? :what:

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
www.directtuning.com

A'PEXi N1 EXHAUST: CIVIC 92-95 DX CPE/92-00 EX CPE/99-00 SI
APX-162-KH01

A'PEXi N1 EXHAUST: CIVIC 96-00 DX CPE
APX-162-KH05

ooohhhh look! i can get part numbers too. and they are DIFFERENT!!!

JPW77

5+ Year Member
Damn, I didn't mean for this to turn into a pissing match! I still haven't received an answer to my original question on whether I can buy a D16Y7 manifold only or if the manifold and cat are inseparable and I have to buy those two items together. I appreciate the eBay header, EX this and that suggestions but that was not the intent of this thread. I've seen the manifolds only priced under $50 and the manifold with cat for under $200. Which one of these two choices will I need for my car?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if your car has under 150k miles, i think that youre able to take it back to honda and they will replace it. Its part of their emissions deal.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nevermind your cat is not bad.

they can be seperated. All you need is the upper manifold. I might even have one for you. Pay shipping and you can have it. Ill just have to check if I have it. PM me if youde like

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
...Which one of these two choices will I need for my car?
if you just want a new manifold because your current one has the crack in it you're going to need to buy a new mani-cat assembly. the second picture looks like it comes apart, but its an aftermarket piece. from the honda factory the cat and the manifold are not separable. the two picture you posted are not the same things even, pic 1 is NOT the top half of pic 2.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How bad is your crack, you can get it welded. I did that and it held up fine.