New guy with a 2000 Civic EX!

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just picked this car up 2 weeks ago. Love it already! No mods and don't plan any. Pics in the garage.

JDM-JNKY

In JDM We Trust
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Maybe some ppl just like their car stock nothing wrong with that.GL with your new car OP.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice car you got there, enjoy the fuel economy.

J_Uhrig87

bestofbothworlds
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, even if you don't want to change the motor, you could go for some cosmetic stuff...that doesn't affect the MPG's. i have the slowest honda motor made, 70HP, i know it, so i just work on the outside stuff. all show and no go. but it's a nice looking base.

Jas0nEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just a nice drop and some rims would look bueno.. but thats how it starts.. lol
Yep.

And in all seriousness, minor suspension mods and some new wheels/tires will make worlds of difference for your car not only in appearance, but also in safety and in FUEL ECONOMY.

Like, if you get a set of good, high-quality springs and struts it might cost you $500. And the added stiffness and the difference in how well you can control your car may save your life. You can get wheels that weigh significantly[/ii] less than stock wheels. You can easily cut your unsprung weight in half by getting a decent set of lightweight rims on properly-sized tires. The stock steel wheels weigh something like 20 or 25 lbs. A popular upgrade seems to be the Konig Helium, they're reasonable in quality and weigh 10.5 lbs apiece for a 15" rim. Tires weigh comparably less as well, considering that there's less sidewall there.

Unsprung weight is where you'll see the biggest differences not only in your car's ability to react to input but also to be generally efficient. Once again, for not much more than $500, you can have not only the bonus of looking sharp, but also the added security in handling and better economy.

With the above mods and an AEM cold-air intake, and otherwise the exact same car as you, I managed to get 43 mpg. That was my peak, I started significantly lower.

Just trying to make the argument, of course. You can do what you want with your car, nobody's going to hate you for not modding it. But a mild drop and some sane but sporty wheels look SOOOOO GOOD on a Civic man... and the benefits definitely seem to outweigh the costs, especially in the long run. You're gonna have to buy new tires and struts anyway, right?

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yep.

And in all seriousness, minor suspension mods and some new wheels/tires will make worlds of difference for your car not only in appearance, but also in safety and in FUEL ECONOMY.

Like, if you get a set of good, high-quality springs and struts it might cost you $500. And the added stiffness and the difference in how well you can control your car may save your life. You can get wheels that weigh significantly[/ii] less than stock wheels. You can easily cut your unsprung weight in half by getting a decent set of lightweight rims on properly-sized tires. The stock steel wheels weigh something like 20 or 25 lbs. A popular upgrade seems to be the Konig Helium, they're reasonable in quality and weigh 10.5 lbs apiece for a 15" rim. Tires weigh comparably less as well, considering that there's less sidewall there.

Unsprung weight is where you'll see the biggest differences not only in your car's ability to react to input but also to be generally efficient. Once again, for not much more than $500, you can have not only the bonus of looking sharp, but also the added security in handling and better economy.

With the above mods and an AEM cold-air intake, and otherwise the exact same car as you, I managed to get 43 mpg. That was my peak, I started significantly lower.

Just trying to make the argument, of course. You can do what you want with your car, nobody's going to hate you for not modding it. But a mild drop and some sane but sporty wheels look SOOOOO GOOD on a Civic man... and the benefits definitely seem to outweigh the costs, especially in the long run. You're gonna have to buy new tires and struts anyway, right?

I guess I forgot about rims. I woulld like a set of HX (or similar) rims. When I get new tires I will some with low rolling resitance. I'm not dropping it. I almost scrape pullingouto fthe driveway as it is! I thought the EX had a factory alarm. Does it not?

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dump it on some 15s, turbo, roll cage, put 3 12s in the trunk and get side pipes. no alarm tho

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
FYI, while 43 mpg is way above EPA estimate for the car, I know people that have gotten 50+ mpg without all the mods. Just changing driving habits to essentially simulating what a hybrid motor does.