anyone take there PWR Steering out?

vertech0

5+ Year Member
hey guys, dose anyone have a 99-2000 si or ex that took the power steering out of the car?, my pump is about to go and how much i would like to get it fixed, i really dont have have the money at the moment. bills bills bills. i wanted to know how hard it would be steer without it? thanks.

jams_ek

Banned
its a pain in the ass.. mine went out a few months back and I tried to deal with it but I broke down and fixed it after just a few days

harne_kyle

5+ Year Member
i have a 96 EX that im taking it out on... im taking the power steering and the a/c pump out for better gas millage and more POWA!!

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its alright. I'll admit its kinda a pain in the ass, but hey its builds some muscle! lol I took it out when i put in my NRG quick release, short hub and lock. It aint that bad, I felt like PW is a little fancy once you get used to being without it lol

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here is how it is.

if your steering rack was made for power steering and you remove it, it will be hard as s**t to turn, unlike if you have a manual rack, its not that bad.

your best bet is to keep the PW steering.

i lost power steering in my 89 accord once, its was a mofo to turn, my 91 civic has manual steering, its not bad, but its made like that.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
here is how it is.

if your steering rack was made for power steering and you remove it, it will be hard as s**t to turn, unlike if you have a manual rack, its not that bad.

your best bet is to keep the PW steering.

i lost power steering in my 89 accord once, its was a mofo to turn, my 91 civic has manual steering, its not bad, but its made like that.
exactly.

vertech0

5+ Year Member
yeahh...ok well thanks guys. ill see, hopefully the pump will hold up long enough to where i can get some $ and replace it.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
on a civic, not having PS isnt a problem as long as the car is in motion. if your at a complete stop its a little annoying but still doable. i would recommend just keeping it, taking it out will add like 3 hp which isnt really much. however the 3 hp i gained from taking out my silencer was definately noticable to me so to each his own...

vertech0

5+ Year Member
well, maybe i can take it out and see how it is for me. i know at a dead stop its bs, but yeah like you said once you get mving it gets better. i talked to a guy that had a 99 si b16, he took it out and siad he dident have a probblem with it, but everyones diffrent.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you search google enough, you will fin the PS removal kit someone sells, ive seet it before, i think it just loops it around

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i didnt have any power steering in my past 3 civics, just got used to it. Just got power steering going in my hatch and its so much better. If you can get used to it, do it.

vertech0

5+ Year Member
yeahh..but i know some of the hatchs have rack and pinion steering. so its not bad steering becuse well thats hows its made to steer. like i said ill give it a shot and if not then ill suck it up and wright the check for a new one. thanks for all the replys and advice!!

ryanM

your NOT going to get better gas mileage

your NOT going to make more power

whats going to happen is your going to go pick up some chick, but on the way there your going to get all sweaty and nasty trying to turn your wheel without PS and AC

then she's going to be like, EWW your gross and your car doesnt have AC, why are you so cheap, dont call me, i'll call you.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get the CTR Pulley, they are made for a reason. no power stearing and no a/c. and lighter than your stock one. mine is on order. jdmland.com has them for cheap, as well as ebay.

-another thing too. that s**t is heavy. all that weight adds up. my s**t is scrapped out. my old d16y8 was the same way and was pulling hard on Stock Si's Stock.
even loosing items you dont need like seats, or other parts really help. even if it doesnt add horsepower, it will still help with the horse power you have.
put your car on jenny craig

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get the CTR Pulley, they are made for a reason. no power stearing and no a/c. and lighter than your stock one. mine is on order. jdmland.com has them for cheap, as well as ebay.

-another thing too. that s**t is heavy. all that weight adds up. my s**t is scrapped out. my old d16y8 was the same way and was pulling hard on Stock Si's Stock.
even loosing items you dont need like seats, or other parts really help. even if it doesnt add horsepower, it will still help with the horse power you have.
put your car on jenny craig
not everyone here is toretto, i like my power steering and full interior.