what is the best/brightest headlight bulb on the market?

knivesout

¬ µ ∫ ç π
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was thinkin about getting the osram silverstars, sylvania silverstar ultras or phillips extreme. possibly PIAA but not sure if they're worth the money. don't have time/money for the HID retrofit and no ebay PnP HIDs for me, so just gettin bulbs for now....basically just lookin for the best bulbs out there and i do like a tinge of blue to the light output, but just as long as they're quality!

just lookin for people's experiences and opinions on what they've tried. thanks!

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:word: I was about to offer the same link. I'm running Phillips Extreme Power +80% bulbs and I'll never use a different halogen bulb, they're that good!

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i ran the osram night breakers for a while before doing my hid retrofit. the osrams are definitly a great upgrade over stock. albeit, my stockers were probably 10 years old and faded but i was very impressed with the osram bulbs.

-Luke

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:word: I was about to offer the same link. I'm running Phillips Extreme Power +80% bulbs and I'll never use a different halogen bulb, they're that good!
I kinda want some, where'd you get em at?

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I kinda want some, where'd you get em at?
I got them from autolamps-online.com. I highly recommend them, they were the cheapest I found online, $40 shipped from the UK. Customer Service was great, answered my emails promptly and politely (I emailed first to make sure they had them in stock as they're pretty popular overseas). What's even better, they took 5 business days to get to my door (Royal AirMail don't play)!

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Technically, 4300K HID's are the brightest.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got them from autolamps-online.com. I highly recommend them, they were the cheapest I found online, $40 shipped from the UK. Customer Service was great, answered my emails promptly and politely (I emailed first to make sure they had them in stock as they're pretty popular overseas). What's even better, they took 5 business days to get to my door (Royal AirMail don't play)!
Nice!! $40!! Sold!!

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is true, but a retrofit is expensive for most of us and PnP kits suck.

What kind of headlight bulb does you mx5 use? The Phillips Extreme Power only comes in 2 sizes, H4 and H7.
H4 yo! Lets put one or your bulbs in to see if I like it :D

knivesout

¬ µ ∫ ç π
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, i think i'll go with the phillips x-treme then. nobody thinks the PIAAs are worth the extra cash? haven't seen much in the way of reviews on those bulbs...

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ok, i think i'll go with the phillips x-treme then. nobody thinks the PIAAs are worth the extra cash? haven't seen much in the way of reviews on those bulbs...
I had PIAA Extreme 4300K bulbs when I had Denji projector headlights. While they were whiter in color than stock bulbs, they sucked in inclimate weather. They weren't much brighter than Silverstars, and even those suck. Go with the Philips, you won't regret it.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:word:

I rock Philips XTP +80%'s and they're HELLA bright. Throw in foglights with PIAA H3 Ion Crystal's wired so they stay on with highbeams, and night driving is pure sex. I love driving at night in my car, whether its in good weather or bad. I can see everything.

I got mine for about 40-45 shipped off www.powerbulbs.com.

knivesout

¬ µ ∫ ç π
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:word:

I rock Philips XTP +80%'s and they're HELLA bright. Throw in foglights with PIAA H3 Ion Crystal's wired so they stay on with highbeams, and night driving is pure sex. I love driving at night in my car, whether its in good weather or bad. I can see everything.

I got mine for about 40-45 shipped off www.powerbulbs.com.
nice. phillips it is! what's recommended for fogs? i've got a 00 ex with no fogs...should i go ebay or OEM? and is it a fairly easy DIY?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Driving in front of you must be pure f**king hell!
I've had someone drive my car while I was in another car. Man is it annoying :lol:.

nice. phillips it is! what's recommended for fogs? i've got a 00 ex with no fogs...should i go ebay or OEM? and is it a fairly easy DIY?
OEM. www.handaacessories.com

Install is very easy. All you need to do is cut the bumper and the lines are already there on the back, inside the bumper as long as you have the OEM bumper.

NoBoost

138,000 Mi. EM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In addition i would reccomend Silverstar Ultras. The ouput is the best i've seen for 50 bucks!

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sorry, but the light output on Ultras is less than regular Silverstars. I know because when I was working at Autozone, a coworker blew one of his silverstars and decided to replace it with an Ultra, the older silverstar was noticeably brighter than the brand new "brighter" Ultra. Plus I hate to break your bubble, but Silverstars are no brighter than regular standard Halogen bulbs, they just have that stupid blue tint that's useless in the rain, fog, or worse a snow storm.

knivesout

¬ µ ∫ ç π
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks guys! just ordered my phillips x-tremes from powerbulbs. looking forward to seeing how they compare to my stock bulbs :thumbs up
they are also including some phillips 5w wedge bulbs for free, are these the bulbs that are used for the turn signals or??