Advantages of VTEC

ShadyLurker69

5+ Year Member
I'm doing a senior project on VTEC and would like to know what all of the advantages of having VTEC are.

Last edited by a moderator:

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know I know..... vtec and vtec ain't s**t especially if you're boosted imo. Nothing but noise if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I know I know..... vtec and vtec ain't s**t especially if you're boosted imo. Nothing but noise if you ask me.
wha wha WHA?? :shock:

vtec loves boost. boost loves vtec. how do you think i made over 300hp on a measly 7 psi of boost. a stock LS wouldnt come close to that, no way no how

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not gonna lie, I love the VTEC in my unboosted B16. Now that I've gone VTEC, I ain't going back!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
to answer the op:

the only advantage that vtec gives over a standard engine is the addition of a second power curve created by the hi-cam lobes. a typical engine begins to lose power at the top of its rpm range, but a vtec engine is given a 2nd power curve increasing its ability to make power at higher rpms

i love this dyno: :D

just when the first power curve beings to taper off vtec engages at 5400 rpm, almost instantaneously changing the intake and exhaust valve timing and duration which you can see by the sharp increase in power. the power band jumped from 115whp to 137whp in about 100 rpms

Last edited:

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
that is a terrible tune, smooth is skill, that is kinda amateurish tuning. Wanting the most noise not making the most usable power.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There's only one real advantage to variable valve timing: increased fuel economy and decreased emissions under normal driving, and increased power during spirited driving. Oh, and the sound!

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
only advantage is fuel economy really. It'd be better without it, and have just a aggresive cam profile throughout the whole rpm range. But some gay little b***h would complain about the noise and wasting too much gas when they're trying to pick up some groceries.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wha wha WHA?? :shock:

vtec loves boost. boost loves vtec. how do you think i made over 300hp on a measly 7 psi of boost. a stock LS wouldnt come close to that, no way no how
i beg to differ. mike (handlebars) made 300+ on a bone stock b18b stock map sensor, crome street tune.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that is a terrible tune, smooth is skill, that is kinda amateurish tuning. Wanting the most noise not making the most usable power.
its not a tune. its a base run of a nearly stock motor
i beg to differ. mike (handlebars) made 300+ on a bone stock b18b stock map sensor, crome street tune.
on .5 bar of boost?