97 Civic Window goes off track!!!!

19josh97

RaWr Vtexz
5+ Year Member
Ok guys...I need some help here.. My windows keep falling off track! And even if they stay the top left of the window wont go into the seal I have to pull my window when I roll it up.
I have a 97 ex coupe. Any help???

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Put some lube on the window track and problem solved. It is very common for this to happen on 6th gen Civics.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stolibears did a great write-up on this, search it in the How-Tos.

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
spray silicone on the tracks. you might have to remove the interior door panel, so that you can put the windows back on track though.

19josh97

RaWr Vtexz
5+ Year Member
I have fixed it 4 times now. but it just wont stay in track. like towards the seatbelt side the window is out of the door.

Commodore

back again
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The best thing to do is not to roll it down all the way. I've had to fix my window 6 times already, due to people rolling it down all the way (valets, mechanics, friends, etc). I usually leave it half-way open at most, so that the problem does not occur.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The best thing to do is not to roll it down all the way. I've had to fix my window 6 times already, due to people rolling it down all the way (valets, mechanics, friends, etc). I usually leave it half-way open at most, so that the problem does not occur.
LOL I know how that is. Whenever someone rides with me, I always tell them not to roll down the window.

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have fixed it 4 times now. but it just wont stay in track. like towards the seatbelt side the window is out of the door.
Both my windows did that no matter how many times I put them back on track (it takes me about 4 minutes now lol) or how much wd-40 or silicone/grease I applied. The only thing that worked was taking it to a shop and having professionals do it. Think they replaced the motor and the track

waay fu*king frustrating

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Make sure the scissor mechanism that lifts the windows up isn't bent or loose.

dontknow

5+ Year Member
Ok guys...I need some help here.. My windows keep falling off track! And even if they stay the top left of the window wont go into the seal I have to pull my window when I roll it up.
I have a 97 ex coupe. Any help???
Mine does this too, a right pita :evil:...

I'm the same, Iv'e got to flick the button as I "pull" the glass up from the front of the door so as to get it seated in the top corner (above the lock).

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine used to do that. I just sprayed some Wurth HHS 2000 on the tracks and never had a problem ever since. that was like 4 months ago and i roll the windows all the way down and no problems.

guachi

5+ Year Member
This is a known issue for this 6th generation civics, actually i had all of those simptoms that you are describing....
On my case i was able to fix it... basically i noticed that there are issues with the rails that guide the windows through the rubber seals, the seals need to be sprayed with graphite, go to a hardware store and get some of that, if you use oil or other kind of lubricants it could damage the seals, the sliicone spray on the brushes is also a good move this will reduce the friction between brushes and the glass window as well as the graphite will do with the glass and the rubbers...
Take your door apart, open it and take a look at the scisor like mechanism, put some grease on those...
and last but not least you will notice that the window has a specific curve, that rail must also have the curb, from time to time and door slams witht he window up that rail tends to straighten up, so you need to find which point of that rail is bent and try to slowly and smoothly move it to its original possition, on my case i used a piece of wood, i found the right spot where the rail would bent and located a specially sized piece of wood there that i glued in, i actually did that about a year ago and it has been working ever since, i even put in new tinted windows and it still works great... Give a shot!!

greent

5+ Year Member
Yea mine did the same thing. i just ended up getting new window regulators and that did the trick for me.

whiteej8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn mine too.......i fixed my passenger window about 5 times now so what i do now is put the lock window switch on it so no one can open it.....

Eng. Tariq

5+ Year Member
I had this in my car also, and it happened in both sides

i did solve it and i did not have any issue in the last 9 months, what i did is used two washers (you can use less or more) to bush rail tracks (one or both of them) inside the door space to allow smooth movement of the window and then used some lub to reduce the friction between the dry rubber and the window

you should use oil or silicon lub especially at winter time because of water/snow dirt

check:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=61119

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=94392

good luck

Last edited:

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it happned to me too. you will have to put the window back on track and then put grease on. its just something you have to expect frm a 6th gen,lol.

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had this problem too... turned out the motor grinded a few of the gears off of the regulator...