water in trunk

J_Uhrig87

bestofbothworlds
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey everyone, so before I start buying parts for my wife's coupe thought I'd see if anyone has had the same problems we're having.
so my wife has a 2000 civic coupe ex and she's been getting alot of condensation and water in her trunk. now when we actually open the trunk, water poors out from where the lights are attached on the trunk itself. now my first thought was tail light gasket is bad, need new tail lights. the weather stripping around the trunk looks good, and I'm thinking new tail lights should do the trick. has anyone else had this problem before?
their stock lights but I have noticed there is a little bit of condensation inside the lense of the tail lights so i figured the lights are the source of the leak.
thanks for your help

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
have someone go in the trunk with a flash light and close it then have another person hose it down. thats what we did to find the leek in my bros prelude

-civic-

Paintball is better
5+ Year Member
when it rains the floor of the trunk in mine gets wet. and brother said my tail lights leaked, and i ignored it. And they condensate some times. That was my thought also

AGD202

5+ Year Member
I have heard that the seal around the tail lights go bad and allow water to leak into the trunk on civs. My car has the same problem but not that bad.

Jaybo

5+ Year Member
Sunroof drains.
+1... i've got the same problem right now and im pretty sure its my sunroof. if i feel around the ledge that runs along the rear quarter panel, i can feel moisture resting there. it drains from the sunroof back along the rear window and then into the trunk.

J_Uhrig87

bestofbothworlds
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmmm, I hope it's not the sunroof. the only thing I would say about it not being the sunroof is that when I open the trunk, the amount of water that poors out from where the tail lights are. you know how the back of the tail light comes through a hole in the trunk? the water poors right from there. I'm going to replace the tail lights anyways cause my wife wants the smoked red/clears than hopefully it'll get rid of it. I was also thinking of taking the whole trunk off and maybe drying it out completly so I know if it's the lights or not. also, if it is the sunroof what do you think would be the repair cost on that? It can get pretty expensive? well I'll take it back to the dealership and make them pay for it, or at least get it fixed at their cost. I mean, I payed almost 7k for the car after tax and license. they should give me some s**t in return.
thanks for the suggestions everyone. much appreciated.

00 Coupe Turbo

5+ Year Member
how to fix

I know this is kinda dumb idea but al i did was drill 4 hole in the bottom of the trung where the spare tire use to be located, and sealed aroung the holes and under the car with sealer and it doesnt fil up but i also locked myself in the truck in the rain and found the leak and fixed it but it the trunk keeps filling up then dril a couple holes i use 1/2 inch hole but thats just me hope you can fix the problem :twisted:

Jaybo

5+ Year Member
hmmm, I hope it's not the sunroof. the only thing I would say about it not being the sunroof is that when I open the trunk, the amount of water that poors out from where the tail lights are. you know how the back of the tail light comes through a hole in the trunk? the water poors right from there. also, if it is the sunroof what do you think would be the repair cost on that? It can get pretty expensive? well I'll take it back to the dealership and make them pay for it, or at least get it fixed at their cost. I mean, I payed almost 7k for the car after tax and license. they should give me some s**t in return.
thanks for the suggestions everyone. much appreciated.
the rear drains for your sunroof go through the c-pillar and down into the fender. they empty behind the rear wheels. if it was wet behind the outter portion of your taillights (closer to the fender), i'd suspect drains. but from the sound of it, since it's actually going into the center portion of your taillights, i'd kinda doubt it's the sunroof. i think trunk seal and the lights are most likely.
good luck!

J_Uhrig87

bestofbothworlds
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah thanks for the help. I think for now I'm just going to change out the lights. It doesn't pool up a lot needing to drill extra holes. actually the center of the trunk stays pretty dry. it's mainly around the edges and when I open the trunk it drips into the center. it just keeps making the rear window fog up crazy. it's more than fog too, like really really thick condensation. I'll start with the lights, and if that doesn't help, I'm taking it back to the dealership and slapping the guy in the face.
thanks for the help.

VIPEk00

Banned
Im actually having the same problem.
when it rains or i wash my car water comes in the trunk...not dramatically like OMG..FTW..
but when i open my trunk water poors in on the outter sides of the tailights.
were they come thru on the inside..
And they leak on the outter sides of the inside of my trunk, if that makes any sence.
it sucks because i just built a custom box for my sub an etc and i dont wanna get it wet.

but i hear it may be the tail light seal's which i want my Si tail's but dont know where to get seals.?
mabe adavanced or Oreily's?

LMK

mok890

5+ Year Member
I had the same problem in my 99 ex couple i ended getting locked in the trunk with a flash light but i noticed the right inner lip had a slight crack so i siliconed every crack and taped up all the holes from the trunk siliconed the lights but it fixed it....so cover all holes and cracks lol

xirixh3x

5+ Year Member
It could be if your car is debadged it can go through the two wholes in the trunk where the badge goes

Justfuz

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just looked at my trunk this weekend and WTF!! Water was trickling in around the clip that hold the bumper up just behind the wheels, its a little white clip. There had been some bubbling and rust areas around the perimeter of the trunk. I started wire brushing every spot I could see from the inside and rust just started crumbling off, which I had holes going thru. This was at the seams of the panels. Looking underneath really showed more of the issue. After taking the bumper off, I was able to wire brush both inside and outside. Then sprayed some rust inhibitor inside and outside. Hopefully tonite I can use some seam sealer and close up all the holes/gaps. The drivers side rear inner wheel well was the worst, below the gas tank. Once I get everything sealed up, some zinc primer and then a few layers of rubberized undercoating. That had better work.

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine was in an accident, rear end completely redone, when it rained trunk litterally filled w/ water it leaked so bad. the two pieces of metal on the edge outside of the trunk seal werent even touching so water poured in there and about 5 other places.

long story short i had it all redone and sealed for $450 and wallah now i have subs

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Check the weather seal around the trunk. Get in the trunk and have someone pour water outside the car to see where it's leaking from. Check the sunroof drains. Check to see if there are any holes in the floor on the trunk.

Justfuz

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After my failed attempt at filling the gaps/holes with the seam sealer, water is still coming in. Maybe I should have done it during the day and not at nite. At any rate I'm thinking about cutting out the areas and either replace with sheet metal & JB Weld or fiberglass it up. Then use some undercoating. I hate it cause I have no extra time and now I have to do it again!!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i've never seen anyone have such a problem with a leaking trunk like youve got. mine leaks too but damn i just keep a shop rag in the spare tire well and let it soak it up. also i drilled some 1/4" holes in the well so water can drain out.. no problems for me to complain about :what: