when to use different gears(D4, D3, 2). and how to save gas

pfos

5+ Year Member
hey guys, i have a honda civic 1999, and i have 3 different gears D4, D3, 2, i'm always running on D4, but i was wondering when should i ever drive on the other gears, and whats the best way to save gas driving a honda civic.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Dont let the big arrow on the left go past 2500!

leftywill3

I AM TAMARACK!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea shifting threw the gears in an auto will f**k the tranny
I know from experience haha

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
drive like a grandma that's how you save gas chief :cool:

6thGenFerio845

5+ Year Member
keep it in d4.. if u shift it like a manual ur trans will be f**kED.. even in d4 its starts in 1st then moves up ect as if u were shifting it just does it AUTOMATIC. drive calm and keep it in d4 and ur good.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You really should only use D4.

Unless you're going down / up really steep hills, then shifting into a lower gear to help you slow down / go up might not be too bad. But for regular driving, shifting an automatic like a manual isn't a good idea.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow someone is asking how to save gas in a HONDA????? Really? I get like 16-20mpg in my Trailblazer and thats good compared to some lol....

ForrestRanger

5+ Year Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission

" * D5 – In Hondas and Acuras equipped with 5-speed automatic transmissions, this mode is used commonly for highway use (as stated in the manual), and uses all five forward gears.

* D4 – This mode is also found in Honda and Acura 4 or 5-speed automatics and only uses the first 4 gears. According to the manual, it is used for "stop and go traffic", such as city driving.

* D3 or 3 – This mode is found in Honda, Acura and Pontiac 4-speed automatics and only uses the first 3 gears. According to the manual, it is used for stop & go traffic, such as city driving. This mode is also found in Honda and Acura 5-speed automatics."

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
there is no D5 in the new accords, it's just D which uses all the gears., they totally skip D4 and have D3 right under the D and then it goes 3-2-1, i dunno why they dont have a sportronic mode in the accords or civics yet with auto trannys, atleast in the Accord V6 cmon. the acuras all have them.

If you read the manual that comes with your honda it actually RECCOMENDS shifting the auto trans if you want to engine brake or stay in a gear to climb a hill or something same thing as those stupid crappy paddle shifters in some cars, it wont harm anything maybe wear a your tranny a little bit more but nothing like you guys are talking about, it's the same thing as the transmission being shifted by pressing the gas a little harder or holding the gas to the floor. The only problem with someone people driving their auto like a manual is neutral dropping it at any rpm besides the idle range, that will really ruin your trans.

el_betiyo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used to drive in D3 in the city, and once I hit the ramp on a freeway I would go to D4.
Don't know if I was doing it right...........but car felt good

leftywill3

I AM TAMARACK!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used to drive in D3 in the city, and once I hit the ramp on a freeway I would go to D4.
Don't know if I was doing it right...........but car felt good
This is the best way to save gas and not f**k your tranny

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Your owners manual should go over this too.