Hood Release Cable

SoJ1Ro

just sit back and enjoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sup guys, so i recently just bought a new hood release cable kuz mine broke like most hondas. i was wondering if there is a thread about how to install it. i've done my homewok and found other websites that explained how to install it, but not for a honda. Im pretty sure its the same. I just want to know if you guys ever installed one before and how hard is it? whats your experience with this?

toxicity359

5+ Year Member
im doing this on my car soon, when i figure out ill send you a holler.

SoJ1Ro

just sit back and enjoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im doing this on my car soon, when i figure out ill send you a holler.
sweet yeah tell me how it goes. i already know where its goin in and all but if you could take pics. that be awesome. thanks

mitka

5+ Year Member
It is easiest to replace if you took your fender off. In fact it is self evident how to do it then. You will need to get two plastic retainers under fender to hold it (I never was able to remove existing ones w/o damaging them). The rest of plastic retainers (on the bulkhead) can be taken off easily w/o damage.

w/o taking fender off:

you need to pull out old cord (you basically unscrew the release lever, cut the cord from inside, pull out rubber grommet that plugs hole in the firewall, and pull the cord out from the outside). Then thread in new cord from inside the car, when you need to catch it from the hole in front which is tricky thing to do. This way of course you bypass the retainers under hood, which is not important - it will work w/o them.

You need to take hood latch out in order to attach the cord to the latch properly. Take marker and mark the contour of the latch on the bulkhead, so you know how to position it in the same place when you reattach it.

SoJ1Ro

just sit back and enjoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It is easiest to replace if you took your fender off. In fact it is self evident how to do it then. You will need to get two plastic retainers under fender to hold it (I never was able to remove existing ones w/o damaging them). The rest of plastic retainers (on the bulkhead) can be taken off easily w/o damage.

w/o taking fender off:

you need to pull out old cord (you basically unscrew the release lever, cut the cord from inside, pull out rubber grommet that plugs hole in the firewall, and pull the cord out from the outside). Then thread in new cord from inside the car, when you need to catch it from the hole in front which is tricky thing to do. This way of course you bypass the retainers under hood, which is not important - it will work w/o them.

You need to take hood latch out in order to attach the cord to the latch properly. Take marker and mark the contour of the latch on the bulkhead, so you know how to position it in the same place when you reattach it.
is there any size bolts i should have to be ready for this? and thanks for the info

jerzfinest13

5+ Year Member
Would it be difficult to put in the hood latch b/c I need to install 1 since the previous owner broke the stock and added some random Hood latch. Any help? Or would I have to replace the whole thing (latch & cables)

mitka

5+ Year Member
Would it be difficult to put in the hood latch b/c I need to install 1 since the previous owner broke the stock and added some random Hood latch. Any help? Or would I have to replace the whole thing (latch & cables)
No need to replace the cable if cable is not damaged and works. you take off grille to get access to two bolts that hold latch.

sixwhip14

5+ Year Member
Mine is broke as well, but I don't mind. It would take that much longer for some scumbag to get at my engine.

jerzfinest13

5+ Year Member
Ohhh ok, it still opens its just that damn latch is a cheap ass 1 and sucks when I have to open my hood.

thambi23

on my 2000 civic the same thing happened the plastic part broke off can i just buy the plastic part or need to replace the cables and everythin else..

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
holy thread resurrection...!

if you're talking about the little handle you pull to open the latch, i believe you have to replace the whole cable. I recently did a cable-relocate but left the little handle off, it'll make it just a tad bit harder for a thief ;)

tomrip1

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
great info....BUT my hood is closed, cable broken, how can I release the hood now??

Ej8civic96

great info....BUT my hood is closed, cable broken, how can I release the hood now??
that had happen to me i had to opening it by removing the grill and using a wrench and a 10 mm socket i think thats the right size .... after i removed the grill i took out the Hood Latch has like 3 or 4 bolts then it should easly slide out you might need to move it around or ill try to take sum pics tommrow on how to open it with a flat head long screw driver hope it helps a lil =)