How to test radiator fan

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I changed my coolant today and let it idle for a while and filled it up when it needed it but i never saw the fan turn on. The top hose was hot and could barely touch it and the bottom hose was also hot. I couldnt find any bleeder screw near the thermostat. It never got above what it normally does on the temp gauge though so i dont tihnk it overheated.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to bleed it just let it sit with the cap off for a bit
try positive negative to the battery and see if the fan kicks on that way

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to bleed it just let it sit with the cap off for a bit
try positive negative to the battery and see if the fan kicks on that way
cap on to the "first stop" That way you don't have radiator fluid boiling over all over the place

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i tested the fan at the ECT plug on the thermostat housing and it came on so the fan works....maybe its just not gettting hot enough??? or the temp plug might be bad

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you fflip your switch to HOT inside the cabin? it kinda takes a long time w the cap off and your filling it w fresh coolant for the fan to come on. like. 15 mins.

zeroarmy27

5+ Year Member
It does take quite a while for the fan to kick on on my HX. I replaced the radiator in it about a year ago and had the same worry, but the fan kicked on when it needed to. Take it for a small spin around the block and come back, if the fan still doesn't come on... wait a while. Watch the temp. gauge.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i drove around the block afterward and i didnt hear it turn on but it seems the temp gauge on the dash was right about where its supposed to be. I just dont want it to overheat. The top hose was really hot though im not sure how hot its supposed to get.

zeroarmy27

5+ Year Member
it should be hot, bottom colder. That's the point. I had to let mine idle for about 10 mins after a 2 mile journey until the fan kicked on. I was worried about wiring/relay until it kicked on.