valve cover bolts

Blk05Civic

Reppin HX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i opened my hood today to find my valve cover was leaking oil by the gasket..im like s**t

so i take it off and see the my rubber seal is ripped...ordered a new one but it wont come till tomorrow!:(

so im putting back my valve cover, and one bolt outta nowhere ( i have a 97 hx, theres 5 bolts...2 long and 3 short ones) and a long one breaks at the thread..so the thread is stuck in the head and the bolt came off

i was f**ked..so i go to honda and get a replacement for $10..whatever i needed it..my buddy somehow gets the broken thread out and im on my way

my question is...

how much do u torque the valve cover bolts? are you even suppose to torque them? lemmi know so maybe i can stop the leaking

thanks!

sidewayzinCA

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im gonna guess 15-20 but lemme look it up.

cant find it, anyone?

Blk05Civic

Reppin HX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i did about 13ish-14 anyway..so im good i guess? but damn the bolt broke i have no clue how..i wasnt careless but i seriously dont know..maybe it was crooked or somethin

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NO DON'T DO 12 OR OVER THAT! They will break again, I don't know why honda made the bolts so fragile but this topic looks exactly like a post I made a week or so ago.

You don't really need to torque the valve cover bolts, just use a rachet and your better judgement.

sidewayzinCA

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
7.3 ft.lbs
go from middle, to back right, to back left, to front right, to front left. if your standing in fron of your header.

Blk05Civic

Reppin HX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
holy s**t..im at 13...ahhh i wont do it as much when my new rubber seal comes in..thanks!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn my cars leakin oil somewhere too. looks to be leaking somewhere on top of the tranny near the engine. i heard a lot of y8's have this problem. i use mobil synthetic for the past like 60k+ miles and motor has 162k currently.

im assuming its the gasket cuz b/t the head and bottom end of the block, i can see lil bits of rubber pokin out the sides :???:

i think ill take it to a shop to change the gasket haha

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if its a sohc. it should be a cake walk to get the stud out. i wouldent worry if you have a semi-competant mechanic with you. s**t, you could even afford to put your beer brakes on and still fix this with ease.

make sure you dap some rtv on the sharper 4 corners of the gasket where the cam seals are. youll be fine!

gatlax83

TEAM FUSION
5+ Year Member
while the topic is up. im getting ready to put ina new valve cover in my 99 si. how hard is it to change valve cover?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
while the topic is up. im getting ready to put ina new valve cover in my 99 si. how hard is it to change valve cover?
lmao this topic was up in 2006

gatlax83

TEAM FUSION
5+ Year Member
so instead of being douche you couldve answered the question well have fun being assclowns

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so instead of being douche you couldve answered the question well have fun being assclowns
It's 5 bolts, a gasket and a little bit of silicone. Remember the firing order is 1-3-4-2 in case you mix up the plugs.

gatlax83

TEAM FUSION
5+ Year Member
thanks man i appreciate the help. good to know there are still some honda people willing to help eachother out