Keyless Entry

Monis98

5+ Year Member
Hello guys. I need some help. I just bought a stock radio for my civic, because I want the keyless entry and I hate the way the after market radio looks. I have a question, for those of you who had the keyless entry and removes the radio, did the radio come with something else on top? I was looking on ebay and noticed that someone was selling the keyless entry thing but no radio. I read all the forum and they all say that the keyless entry is the radio, but no mention on the other box. I also noticed there is a space for it. Just want to make sure. Also I got the honda cd changer but I can not find any info on it. If you guys have any info, I would love it. Thanks :oops:

SSM_DC5

5+ Year Member
As far as i know, for 96-98, all you need to have keyless entry is the radio and the remotes. and of course power locks.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its on top of the raido. but to my knowledge its part of the radio. pm me ad if you really want i can take mine out and look.

Monis98

5+ Year Member
I was looking at the pic from ebay and I noticed that the guy wrote to make sure of the connection because they are two. Now. The connection that it had is the same as the one that my radio has. Why would it be the same? Can it be that for some radios it is a add-on? I am sad now.

Monis98

5+ Year Member

TurboDriver369

5+ Year Member
The only thing you need for keyless entry on a 96-98 Honda Civic is the factory radio that has the little black antenna on the back, and of course the remotes. That little area that has two screw holes is for an alarm module that bolts on. I am in the process of purchasing the alarm part right now. Should be fun...

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My UK EK3 keyless entry thingie is on the roof by the rear-view mirror. i've changed my cd player twice and it hasn't affected my keyless powers!

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what no way i wasnt aware of this. i have a genuine honda 1 button remote. how does this keyless entry work?

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
arh rite my understanding of keyless entry is you just walk upto the car and it opens knowing your present.

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i call this remote central locking.
yeah it is remote central locking, but these are the yanks we're talkin to here, they say aloo-minum instead of aluminium, they refer to cars with a manual gearbox as having 'stick-shift', here we just know it as a car ;-)

SSM_DC5

5+ Year Member
The only thing you need for keyless entry on a 96-98 Honda Civic is the factory radio that has the little black antenna on the back, and of course the remotes. That little area that has two screw holes is for an alarm module that bolts on. I am in the process of purchasing the alarm part right now. Should be fun...
is the little black antenna the one that's right above the green and white harness connectors?

What needs to be done to get the keyless entry working on my car after i get a hold of the radio + remotes? Would i only need to follow these steps for it to work?

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah it is remote central locking, but these are the yanks we're talkin to here, they say aloo-minum instead of aluminium, they refer to cars with a manual gearbox as having 'stick-shift', here we just know it as a car ;-)
absolutely fair comment

TurboDriver369

5+ Year Member
All you need to do is give the factory radio power so that it turns on along with plugging in the green plug-in, and then follow the instructions and enjoy. You do not need the module that bolts into that empty space in the radio if you're just looking for keyless entry.

And I'm pretty sure that only 96-98 keyless remotes work with the 96-98 Civics. I could be wrong though...

SSM_DC5

5+ Year Member
All you need to do is give the factory radio power so that it turns on along with plugging in the green plug-in, and then follow the instructions and enjoy. You do not need the module that bolts into that empty space in the radio if you're just looking for keyless entry.

And I'm pretty sure that only 96-98 keyless remotes work with the 96-98 Civics. I could be wrong though...

Is there a How-To on powering the radio, without buying a full harness for it? the module that bolts into the empty space on the top of the radio is where the alarm portion is right?

How do i differentiate 96-98 remotes from others?

Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the module that goes on top of the radio is for the security system.
If you just want keyless entry you only need the radio like everybody else said.

SSM_DC5

5+ Year Member
the module that goes on top of the radio is for the security system.
If you just want keyless entry you only need the radio like everybody else said.
So say i found a radio with the module for the security system attached on top. would the security portion be plug and play too? or is there other components to make it all work?