Head lights and instrument control lights flickering?

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
Does anyone else have a problem with head lights and instrument control lights flickering?

This doesn't happen all the time, it happens intermittently. But it drives me crazy. The back light for the speedometer and revs and the headlights themselves go brighter then darker then brighter then darker.

Has anyone seen this or heard of this before? How do I fix it and what is going wrong?

Thank you.

RonJ

Banned
Does the battery light in the cluster stay on or flicker on and off while you are driving? You may want to have the alternator tested.

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take your car to o riellys or autozone or pepboys..ask for a alternator test...

dragonfly7518

5+ Year Member
same issue

I am having the same problem - have noticed it periodically for awhile. Alternator is fine according to Auto Zone though. If I drive for more than 30 min or so sometimes my right turn signal stops working also.
We've replaced the fuses and the headlight bulbs. Any suggestions on what else could cause this problem?

jay192

5+ Year Member
im having that problem now with my hatch my mechanic said it has something to do with one of my sensor wires being burnt out because its under the car I'll find out more on Wednesday and posts

RonJ

Banned
im having that problem now with my hatch my mechanic said it has something to do with one of my sensor wires being burnt out because its under the car I'll find out more on Wednesday and posts
Check 7.5A fuse 15 under the dash.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, here is the problem. you all have d16y7's. they made shitty intake manifolds and shitty wires behind it. a couple wires have rubbed through and are now grounding or sending power to where it shouldnt be. the wires are for your eld and gauge cluster

you might also notice your mph acts as a tach. just find the wires that are rubbed through and wrap them with electrical tape. there below the intake manifold. good luck getting to them. =)

RonJ

Banned
ok, here is the problem. you all have d16y7's. they made shitty intake manifolds and shitty wires behind it. a couple wires have rubbed through and are now grounding or sending power to where it shouldnt be. the wires are for your eld and gauge cluster

you might also notice your mph acts as a tach. just find the wires that are rubbed through and wrap them with electrical tape. there below the intake manifold. good luck getting to them. =)

This is mostly correct. Several 96-99 engines are affected. Read this TSB.

HondaD16y8

Black Dragon
i have a 97 Honda civic d16y8 and my lights flicker too. i changed my alternator and it fixed it for a while and started again. i looked at the wires behind the motor and it looked fine. it keep s blowing my alternator speed sensor fuse. the check engine light gives me a code for a o2 sensor. i still cannot figure it out. if anybody has any ideas, please let me know. it only has 117,000 miles on it with all new belts. so i cant be the timing belt.

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if the answer is yes to the above question ^^^^ find yourself a dual stage alternator...ive got friends who work at Electronic stores and specially the 06+ the alt. sucks. find a dual stage run you close to 300

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am having the same problem - have noticed it periodically for awhile. Alternator is fine according to Auto Zone though. If I drive for more than 30 min or so sometimes my right turn signal stops working also.
We've replaced the fuses and the headlight bulbs. Any suggestions on what else could cause this problem?
i had this problem with my right turn signal but it was a lose wire from when i disconnected the halo's on my old headllights, check to make sure all wires are tight.

(may not be the issue in your case, but it cant hurt to check!)

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if the answer is yes to the above question ^^^^ find yourself a dual stage alternator...ive got friends who work at Electronic stores and specially the 06+ the alt. sucks. find a dual stage run you close to 300
Also make sure all your connections are right and tight. If you got s**t wigglin around your amps will try to draw more power, if you don't have a capacitor, get one. So many people think they know how to work a stereo system and they really don't make sure you have a decent inline fuse and all screw are tight on your distribution block(s).

HondaD16y8

Black Dragon
i have a system but its not hooked up. i also have a radiator leak that when i drove antifreeze was all over the place. would that be the problem? it only started when the check engine light came on, and the code reader said malfunction on o2 sensor 1 bank 1. help me on this please. thanks.

mikemo

5+ Year Member
check engine ground my 00 ex ground was loose ,caused all the samethings gauge ,lights