00 Ex Coupe has vtec?

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
Hey i'm getting mixed answers as to what engine my car has. it is a 2000 Civic Ex Coupe. I believe that it is the d16y8. but is it vtec?

thanks.

slomotion

Banned
k

there are several different ways to indentify your engine, seeing as im a lazy ass and dont want to type it out, I will say buy a manual or google honda engine identification codes. IMO go buy the manual and get under the hood of your car and learn it inside out! youll save tons of cash on repairs if nothing else.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there are several different ways to indentify your engine, seeing as im a lazy ass and dont want to type it out, I will say buy a manual or google honda engine identification codes. IMO go buy the manual and get under the hood of your car and learn it inside out! youll save tons of cash on repairs if nothing else.
X2

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
Sorry i'm kinda new to civics. just got mine a bit ago. I thought that if it was vtec it would say it on the engine?

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It does say it, there's a very-visible vtec solenoid 'right there'!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the older civic EX's had a valve cover that said VTEC on it. your model year didnt have that valve cover, but basically its the same motor

brent_si™

Ballers roll 20+ psi
5+ Year Member
It should say your engine code on the engine block on the left side under cyl # 4 exhaust port. and civic HX is a d16y5 is VTEC-E d16y8 is full sohc VTEC.

daishi17

5+ Year Member
yea it has the almighty vtec in, i have the same year and model. d16y8 the only way it wont be the same motor is if it was swapped or something.

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
Alright thanks guys. i'll check the side and see what it says. and it isn't a swap. not fast enough...

again. thanks

J_Uhrig87

bestofbothworlds
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it could be a swap to a non vtec motor like the d16y7 and you probably wouldn't know the difference, especially if your the type of person who has to ask if their d16y8 is vtec

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This thread is full of: :smackself

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
alright guys i'll admit that i don't know much about the engines ok? you don't have to bash me cause you know more than me.

so i checked on the side and it says (D16y8-5510281) it does not say vtec.
and there is a barcode next to it that is (S40-1885607)

i searched online and couldn't find anything with those numbers.

does that mean that it is a vtec or a not? because i can't see it say vtec anywhere... i'm still lost. any more help would be great.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just because your valve cover dosent say "Vtec" on it (it wont, b/c its a 6th Gen D16), dosent mean it dosent have Vtec. We're not bashing you. If you did a simple google search, you could find out A)what engine you have in your car, and B)if it has Vtec or not.

D16y8 = SOHC (which the D stands for), 16 (means its a 1.6lt, and the y8 means it has Vtec.
D15b7 = SOHC, 1.5lt, non vtec.
D16y7 = SOHC, 1.6lt, non Vtec

See the forumla?

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
ok well thank you. i just thought that they would all say vtec on the valve cover if they have it. my bad.

thanks for clearing this up for me.