Is the crankshaft bolt left or right hand thread?

suntoy68

5+ Year Member
I am trying to change the timing belt on my 98 Civic EX and I am not sure whether the bolt has left or right hand threads. Anyone gotta an idea?

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
loosen it like any other bolt(counter clockwise). but you need a crank pulley tool. go to ebay and look up a honda one. its much cheaper. it has a lot of torque on it and you wont be able to get it off without the tool

cvnig89

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
either a real powerful gun or the honda crank tool, sad to say i the honda crank tool didnt work for me i broke 2 rachets

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
buy the tool, it has its own breaker bar system. the bar is about 3 ft. long. that holds the pulley,then use a big wrench...3/4".. put a metal pipe on it, about 3 ft.... buy it at home depot and that will be the breaker bar system for the wrench. done and done. easy

suntoy68

5+ Year Member
You guys rock !!

Thanks for the quick replys. I know which way to go from here, Thanks Again

RonJ

Banned
buy the tool, it has its own breaker bar system. the bar is about 3 ft. long. that holds the pulley,then use a big wrench...3/4".. put a metal pipe on it, about 3 ft.... buy it at home depot and that will be the breaker bar system for the wrench. done and done. easy
The hex tool that I posted a link for does not come with its own breaker bar system. The OP would need a separate 18" breaker bar to use with it.

You may be referring to the special Honda crank tool, which is considerably more expensive.

suntoy68

5+ Year Member
I bought a large nut that was 2" across on the flats, plus a 2"x 5/16" x 36" piece of steel. 10 minutes with a welder and torch and problem was solved. $14.00 total cost.

juxstapo

5+ Year Member
Welders rule... I'm halfway through my SMAW certificaiton, then on to MIG.

Anyway, props for answering my question, I'll quit with the antique thread jack now.

*edit* and at school they even make me spell "Certification" properly.. the fiends.