Gas Pedal Sticking

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
I have noticed that my gas pedal is sticking a little bit. It is when I take my foot off of it, and I put my foot back on it, I have to push a little harder to move it, then it functions fine. But initially, I have to give it a little more of a push.

This doesn't happen all the time, but it is beginning to happen more frequently.

Any one else had this problem, or can tell me what to look for?

Thank you very much.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would first try the cheaper options: check your throttle body rotating assembly (valve plate inside, interior walls), spring, etc. if its gunky/dirty, clean it up with some throttle body cleaner.

if that doesnt work you may need to replace the cable

redexcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have the same problem, and its not that bad, but its just kind of annoying. I cleaned out my TB and it seemed to help alittle bit, but not completely gone. I was gonna try and adjust the throttle cable, but then i noticed the nut around the cable is like super rusty and i didnt wanna deal with something breaking. How hard is it to replace the cable?

Does your car have cruise control? if it does? does it work really shitty? Mine works but it doesnt like to keep a constant speed very well, it will speed up and then slow down and then speed up again and then slow down. It does that every time i use it. anyone else having this problem? or now how i could fix it?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mine does the same thing from time to time. Cleaned my TB and it was much better.. still happens a little bit though

r34civic

5+ Year Member
well bro, not going to lie, my civic did the same thing, and yes, it was the floormats being a little to big and when i pushed the pedal down, it would get caught under the floormat lol, just check that out, cheapest fix you can do

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
Excellent answers everyone. Thank you very much. I will check out all of these things and get back to you!

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have the same problem, and its not that bad, but its just kind of annoying. I cleaned out my TB and it seemed to help alittle bit, but not completely gone. I was gonna try and adjust the throttle cable, but then i noticed the nut around the cable is like super rusty and i didnt wanna deal with something breaking. How hard is it to replace the cable?

Does your car have cruise control? if it does? does it work really shitty? Mine works but it doesnt like to keep a constant speed very well, it will speed up and then slow down and then speed up again and then slow down. It does that every time i use it. anyone else having this problem? or now how i could fix it?
get some pb blaster for that rusty nut.
ive personally never replaced a throttle cable but it can't be very hard. all it does is connect to the pedal, through the firewall, and to the cable stay/tb rotor.

well bro, not going to lie, my civic did the same thing, and yes, it was the floormats being a little to big and when i pushed the pedal down, it would get caught under the floormat lol, just check that out, cheapest fix you can do
:word: i need to move my floormats back from time to time as well

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just took mine apart and did a complete over haul with cleaning it and polishing it up. i forgot to lube it up after wards so mine sticks when i punch it to the ground from time to time.

just needs oil/grease

RonJ

Banned
When all other options are exhausted (e.g., thoroughly cleaning the TB), then the next step would be to replace the throttle cable, which can get notchy over time. A new OEM cable is about $30 if I remember correctly. This TSB describes the replacement procedure. It's pretty simple.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mine does it too. Kind of annoying. Last time I had it happen (on my old motor), the the throttle plate inside the TB was closing too much, causing it to bind/stick to the walls of the TB. I adjusted it so it didnt close as far, but still shut completely, and the issue was gone. I need'a take a look at mine and see whats up....

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the info everyone. I have cleaned it a couple of times both where it attaches to the gas pedal inside the vehicle and under the hood. It is still sticking. It is my car, but my wife was driving it and she actually was remarking on it this past weekend. When mama ain't happy, no one is happy. ;-)

I am going to use RonJ's Service Bulletin above, order the throttle cable and replace it.

I will report more later. Thanks everyone and especially RonJ for the exact specific instructions.

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
1. When installing the new throttle cable do I need to add any lubrication?

2. If yes, what exact name and type of lubrication?

Thank you.

305ej6

5+ Year Member
check your floor mats, throttle cable.... or just contact Toyota they might be able to help you...

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
Installed the new Throttle Cable. Was an easy installation. It took me about 15-20 minutes, and this was the first time I have ever done it. So, that means it was easy!

$25 Throttle Cable from my local Honda Parts Shop.

Gas pedal functions perfectly now! I have been testing for the last 3 days.

Thanks to everyone who helped me finally solve it!

(As a side note to all the nerdy people like me, my old throttle cable had the 3 inch rubber boot where it attaches to the throttle, ripped and torn. And this perhaps was part of my problem. In addition to what Ron J pointed out that no one can see but inside the plastic cover of the cable itself, the wire of the cable could be fraying and binding inside.)

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The problem is most likely to be a dirty throttle body. Cleaning the throttle body is not a difficult job, but your dealer may charge a lot of money to do it for you. Here's a procedure for how to do it yourself

"Try to park the car so that the drivers side is slightly downhill. Open the hood and find the clamp that holds the big rubber air intake hose to the throttle body (the big rectangular aluminum "box" that sits on top of the engine). Loosen the clamp a few turns until you can work the hose off. There isn't much clearance around the opening, but if you're careful you can move it slightly off to the side. Place an old towel under the opening, and using a flashlight if needed, spray carb cleaner like Gumout

all around the butterfly valve and the related linkage. You'll be amazed at the crud that will run out. Have someone work the gas pedal back and forth a few times while you spray until it seems to be clean. Allow a few minutes to dry and *lightly* spray a pure silicone oil on the point on the inside that the linkage enters the throttle body. Dispose of the towel safely (it will be combustible) and replace the air intake hose and tighten the clamp securely."