Loose shifter even in gear?!?!?

forcdincivic

Needs More Snail
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So i Just picked up a 93 ex coupe 5-speed. Stock tranny, motor, etc. As I drove it home I realize how loose the shifter felt. Even when in gear it felt like it was in nuetral. It would move to left and right at will with no real friction. In any gear it did this, all while still staying in gear. Are there any bolts that could be tightened? Maybe replace the linkage. I just got home and havent had a chance to throw it on the lift yet to see if anything is loose under there but just wondering if anyone else had this same problem at one point. I searched and found nothing so if anyone could throw some ideas that'd be great. Thanks

1FastEX1994

^ROFLcopter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
might be your shifter bushings

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would look to see if someone has replaced the "b***h pin" with a bolt. That would cause the shifter to feel loose and would cause it to move around alot. If there is a bolt i suggest purchasing a pin from your local dealership. They cost roughly 2 dollars.

forcdincivic

Needs More Snail
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would look to see if someone has replaced the "b***h pin" with a bolt. That would cause the shifter to feel loose and would cause it to move around alot. If there is a bolt i suggest purchasing a pin from your local dealership. They cost roughly 2 dollars.
Thanks, I will definetly check that out. Are you talking a pin underneath where the shifter connects to the linkage? Sorry not familiar with the b***h pin although I have heard of it.

RonJ

Banned
I think Traction is referring to the spring pin, but definitely also check the bushings.

forcdincivic

Needs More Snail
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If the bushings are bad, maybe it will be a good excuse to get a short shifter and new bushings =)

MrSamNC

Anyone have any suggestions/information on how to remove the Spring Pin? I am trying to replace my '86 Civic Hatch's clutch but cannot get this pin out... what's the secret?

Thanks!