Random Misfires!!!!!

dabz1981

5+ Year Member
2000 civic Lx auto with 95k miles - no mods

CEL came on.. took it to autozone and i got 6 codes: random missfire, missfire on cylinder 1, 2, 3 and 4, and EGR valve/incorrect valve clearance . The car runs crappy all the time missfiring when it's hot or cold. i've tried everything (well almost everything as i know this can be caused by many diff things) in the following order sinse the issues began:

Ignition switch - i heard civics of this generation has ignition switch issues/recalls (mine did not have a recal but the symptoms matched)
Spark plugs/wires - replaced with NGK plugs and OEM Honda wires
Fuel filter
Distributor rotor and cap
Distributor - brand new distributor not refurb (included new coil, new cap, new rotor - adjusted timing after)

After i replaced the distributor there was no CEL!!! So i decided to drive it round for 30 mins up to 70mph to make sure all was fine, car ran perfect. But then pulling from a stop sign the CEL started blinking again and eventually stayed on.. took it back to autozone and i'm now getting 4 codes: random missfire, missfire on cylinder 1, 2 and 3... i'm inclined to rule out the bad EGR valve code i first got because it's no longer showing up but i dont know anymore... any assistance/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

brian762

5+ Year Member
Are you sure the wires are on the plugs all the way and they didnt pop off? thats what happened to mine after i replaced my plugs and wires, also check the dizzy cap to make sure they didnt pop off there.

dabz1981

5+ Year Member
yes the plugs are on the right place on the cap, everything is tight. i just confirmed that this 2000 civic lx does not have an EGR valve.. .only the HX models did so i'm ruling that out completely, which makes me even more confused now.... also to add, the car runs rough on idel and acceleration (missfires)

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Where does your car idle at?

brian762

5+ Year Member
the only other thing i can think of is timing, but if it ran fine for a bit, i think that would rule that out.

dabz1981

5+ Year Member
the only other thing i can think of is timing, but if it ran fine for a bit, i think that would rule that out.
i've beein thinking about that but it did run fine before the cel came back on. now i'm thinking it may be the map sensor but i'm not getting codes for it or the cat converer or o2 sensor... just stupid misfires and an egr valve i dont have

RonJ

Banned
What are the specific CEL codes? Did a previous owner install and HX ECU into your LX?

dabz1981

5+ Year Member
when the issue first started i had 6 codes: misfire codes for all cylinders (po301, po302, po303, po304), another that said incorrect valve clarance/EGR valve, and the random misfire code. after replacing the distributor I currently have po301, po302, po303 and the random missfire codes after about 30 minutes or so of driving it with no CEL. Could timing cause this issue? i feel comfortable with the timing adjustment i did after replacing the distributor, and as previously mentioned the car did run great right after i did.

RonJ

Banned
P0171 is not a CEL code for the EGR system. As you said, an LX has no EGR system. The code instead tells you that the engine is running lean. Start by replacing the fuel filter.

dabz1981

5+ Year Member
already did. replaced the fuel filter, ignition switch, spark plugs (ngk), wires (honda oem as the after market ones did not fit properly), replaced distributor cap and rotor, and when this did not work decided to replace the entire distributor and adjusted the timing just to be safe.