Alternator Belt Squealing

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys my alternator belt just started squealing randomly one day. It doesnt do it all the time either. If I rev the motor to like 4 grand then it'll go away for the time being. I checked the tension on the belt and it is fine and I tried belt dressing, and what do you know, it's still squealing. Could it possibly be the alternator itself? Or maybe the pulley itself? Any ideas? Thanks ahead.

Kyle

RonJ

Banned
If you remove the alternator belt temporarily, does the noise go away?

iBeast

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would try tightening the belt anyways it might go away

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just be careful,

I had new belts on, and overtightened it, it squaled, I thought it'd just go away so i'm on the high way and it isn't going away then it does and my battery light comes on, unfortunately my water pump is on the same belt and I overheated and had to get towed.

Sometimes they just squeal if they get wet, I don't have a belly pan on mine so water can do it sometimes.

If it's an old belt and is glazed just buy a new one.

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the belt is practically brand new.. i am going to try and tighten it just a bit.. we'll see.. i was thinking maybe the pulley itself?

RonJ

Banned
Again, how do you know the alternator belt is the problem as opposed to one of the other drive belts?

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I don't have AC and I took the power steering belt off and started the car and same thing happened. But It seems to have gone away, I was able to get a better shot of the pulley to spray the belt dressing on. It only squeaks every now and then.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Belt dressing is what used car lots use to quiet their crappy auction peice of s**t cars.. it doesnt do anything but sometimes makes the problem worse.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Belt dressing is what used car lots use to quiet their crappy auction peice of s**t cars.. it doesnt do anything but sometimes makes the problem worse.
How could it make the problem worse?

Just because you just replaced it doesn't mean it isn't the cause... Not saying it is either... Just don't rule that out.... Tighten it, but not too tight... If it is still happening take it off start it up and see if it still happens, if not, just go buy a new belt, get a good one, or even OEM... Try Gator back or gates... Maybe the belt you put on is junk? Just some suggestions...

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It won't make anything worse. It does help to quell some squeals, and may hide a belt that needs to be replaced. If this belt is not ever replaced and keeps being hidden with belt dressing, this may create the issue. It helps to prolong the inevitable.

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
where on the 6th gen Honda repair manual does it show how to tighten the serpentine belt for a 97 Dx coupe? I can't find it.

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
where on the 6th gen Honda repair manual does it show how to tighten the serpentine belt for a 97 Dx coupe? I can't find it.
Time to start a new thread for that ?. (The AC belt is in the section of heating and Air conditioning, the alternator belt is in the electrical section just after the pages on the alternator and the timing belt is in the engine section)

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Time to start a new thread for that ?. (The AC belt is in the section of heating and Air conditioning, the alternator belt is in the electrical section just after the pages on the alternator and the timing belt is in the engine section)
ahhh, I understand how the manual is organized now. Thanks for showing me that.