Helping With CEL Code # 7

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
Help With CEL Code # 7

OK just checked CEL code and it gave me 7 short blinks I'm guessing #7: TP Sensor (Throttle Position) defective circuit or unplugged/ defective sensor.. Question is how do i go about fixing that?

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
Just wait for RonJ so see this thread, then you'll have your answer

94civickid

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes indeed ron j where are you i need to know the procedure on how to set the tps or if anyone else can help me and the op would be greatly appreciated

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
All fixed now, cel code # 7 was correct and it was the tp sensor, i got the brand new tps in today and replaced it and the light is gone now. thx for everyones help.

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
All fixed now, cel code # 7 was correct and it was the tp sensor, i got the brand new tps in today and replaced it and the light is gone now. thx for everyones help.

by the way, umm is it really important that the tps is giving the .45v's? i wasn't able to get the the 45 out of it while measuring , so i gave up and said to myself " let me just adjust it while the car is on and checking out the reaction, but when i turned it on the cel light was gone and car was idleling smooth.

RonJ

Banned
What TPS voltages did you measure at closed and WOT?
What are the answers to the questions above? Also make sure that the throttle cable has about 1/2" slack in it and that the throttle plate is fully closed when you do the TPS adjustment.

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
What are the answers to the questions above? Also make sure that the throttle cable has about 1/2" slack in it and that the throttle plate is fully closed when you do the TPS adjustment.
o sorry i dont have the car with me to test now. so you want me to check for voltage when the throttle is fully closed and open? is that what you mean by WOT? and yeah i was adjusting the tps while plate was fully closed. I'll wait on you're answer and than check when i have the car with me.

RonJ

Banned
WOT = wide open throttle

You said you were unable to adjust the TPS to 0.45V at closed throttle. What was the voltage closest to 0.45V that you were able to achieve? An what was the voltage at WOT?

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
WOT = wide open throttle

You said you were unable to adjust the TPS to 0.45V at closed throttle. What was the voltage closest to 0.45V that you were able to achieve? An what was the voltage at WOT?
Well at closed throttle the closest i seen was like 43v but it was like for split sec, haven't tried at WOT its too dark for me to take a look now, plus ill have to borrow the meter again, but tomorrow it will the first thing i do.

RonJ

Banned
Well at closed throttle the closest i seen was like 43v but it was like for split sec, haven't tried at WOT its too dark for me to take a look now, plus ill have to borrow the meter again, but tomorrow it will the first thing i do.
Close to but not exactly 0.45V is perfectly fine. It's an approximate voltage. What was the steady reading at closed throttle and WOT? Does the engine run fine? Any CEL codes?

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
Close to but not exactly 0.45V is perfectly fine. It's an approximate voltage. What was the steady reading at closed throttle and WOT? Does the engine run fine? Any CEL codes?
the engine runs fine, i don't have any CEL now other than the one i just got rid of which was CEL code # 7 TPS, but i didn't have a steady reading at al,l it was everywhere.Should i do it while the plug is connected to the tps or not, i wish there was videos on these types of things.

RonJ

Banned
Reset the ECU and check whether code 7 eventually returns.

The TPS voltages are measured with the sensor plugged into its connector and the key turn to ON(II). Read the link in post #5. Scrape a small amount of the insulation away from the two relevant TPS wires to make the measurements.