how to replace a brake light switch

irbryanxp

5+ Year Member
The break light switch on my 88 civic is stuck, and leaves the break lights on when the car is on or off.. Any diagrams on how to replace it? Is it easy to replace?
thanks

WBJ

Registered VIP
LOL - this is a common issue that has a simple fix.

I dont have diagrams, however if its like most other cars (I know the 92-95 Civics are like this) then what has probably happened is the little rubber piece has fallen off the arm of the brake pedal. Get in the floor board where you can see the arm and look for a hole in the arm and a little switch that lines up with that hole. It works the same as your door light switch. So when you press the button in the light will go off. When that rubber wears out the button doesnt have anything to push it in to turn off the lights. SO, take and either buy that peice from a junkyard or where ever OR do the ghetto fix and glue a penny over top the whole so that it lines up with that switch/button. I did the penny method....ghetto I know but it works! Also I chose a penny with the same year that I glued it just in case anyone ever looks under there and is wondering how long its been there! LOL

irbryanxp

5+ Year Member
LOL - this is a common issue that has a simple fix.

I dont have diagrams, however if its like most other cars (I know the 92-95 Civics are like this) then what has probably happened is the little rubber piece has fallen off the arm of the brake pedal. Get in the floor board where you can see the arm and look for a hole in the arm and a little switch that lines up with that hole. It works the same as your door light switch. So when you press the button in the light will go off. When that rubber wears out the button doesnt have anything to push it in to turn off the lights. SO, take and either buy that peice from a junkyard or where ever OR do the ghetto fix and glue a penny over top the whole so that it lines up with that switch/button. I did the penny method....ghetto I know but it works! Also I chose a penny with the same year that I glued it just in case anyone ever looks under there and is wondering how long its been there! LOL
the penny worked but the crazy glue didn't hold. It fell off 5 minutes later...maybe ill try some ducktape.

WBJ

Registered VIP
Part number 10 looks correct.

LOL at the penny. I did mine a few years back and it stuck just fine. Try something stronger like Super Glue. Crazy Glue just does what it wants! Its too crazy to be trusted!

99_EK20

I actcually have the opposite problem. Rear (both) tail lights work (parking lights) but when I press the breaks they won't get brighter like they should. The spoiler break light bulb was burnt. I replaced it thinking that was the problem so when I press the breaks the only one that comes on is the spoiler break light. I don't use the rear break light due to type r spoiler. Thanks for the diagram