Boost up d16y8 horsepower without turbo or supercharging?

swiditg

Wsup guys, I was just wondering what I can do to boost up my horsepower for my d16y8 besides turbo or supercharged (N/A). What would be the best set up? I also heard about p28 and does anyone use the combination? Let me know and thanks you for the time.:???:

WillyBigNut

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sadly the only real way and most efficient way to get good power out of your dseries is turbo/sc my friend.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BigNut's right, the only effective way I've found of increasing your engine's power output is through some form of forced induction.

Nitrous is another option. Although it won't give you the same consistent and high gains that turbo or supercharging will, it's far easier to bolt on a bottle for a quick power increase when you want to feel the "go". It's also considerably cheaper in the short run. Obviously if you want lots of power all the time you should seriously consider the turbo/supercharger route, because eventually the cost of filling up NO2 bottles will add up. But for occasional and decent gains over the stock setup nitrous is a viable option.

eg6white305

Nitrous is cheap, easy, and safe if done right. NNAAAWWWWSSSS ftw!

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Be sure to check your state laws on Nitrous in my state its illegal to drive around with it hooked up, its a pretty big fine if your caught with it.

eg6white305

In florida nitrous is perfectly legal. I have been pulled over for speeding with a a nitrous bottle behind my seat. Cop saw it and didnt say nuthin. Cali is way different though.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It is possible to build a fast N/A Y8. It's also very expensive. Why don't you want forced induction?

swiditg

I was actually thinking about turbo, but all around how much would it cost and I'm pretty sure at Cali its illegal to have nitro or even turbo? I'm not sure but with an intake, and headers how much hp will boost up and would p28 do anything? I heard it wouldnt function right with d16y8?

eg6white305

It is NITROUS, not nitro. Nitro is a type of fuel. If u go turbo in Cali you need a kit that is card certified. Greddy comes to mind, u can find a used greddy kit for under 1k.

eg6white305

When u say p28 do you mean converting your car to obd1 and using a p28 ecu? Doing that would make the car easier to tune, but would not be smog legal in Cali from what i know. In florida there is no smog tests and cops dont hassle us bout our cars. Not me anyway, maybe im just special.

swiditg

Thank you @eg6white305 but I really dont know difference between turbo and nitrous, Which one would be cheaper and is there certain kinds thats good for my engine?

eg6white305

Nitrous is way cheaper and easier than turbo, but turboing a d16 is still pretty cheap. A used nitrous wet kit go's for $300.00 , and u should keep the shot to 40hp to start. A used turbo kit, like a greddy, can be had for about $900.00 or so. Turbo is way more work, but not to bad. U sound like u need to do alot of research before doing anything. Both forms of forced induction can damage your engine very easily if not done right. SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH.

swiditg

Damn, yeah. Cops are really strict around here... especially where I live. What do you think I should do?

eg6white305

Nitrous bottle was hooked up and everything, cop was fine with it. I think u should do alot of research. There is alot to learn.

demarcuspz

5+ Year Member
build internals , to start off with, better to have strong internals weather goin n/a or forced induction

eg6white305

If u build internals u need to know wether your goin forced induction or n/a before. Cant turbo a 12.5.1 comp car safely and u aint gonna have a fast n/a car thats been built with 9.1 comp pistons. Visit turbod16.com for alot of good knowledge.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cant turbo a 12.5.1 comp car safely
Yes you can.

OP, what you need to do to your car right now is nothing. Before you make any mods, you need to learn about their benefits, consequences, and logistics.

I don't know of a good nitrous guide, but here is some light reading to start with for turbo:

http://beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

Don't put anything on your car until you know everything about it, unless you like wasting money.

eg6white305

A turbo 12.5.1 car? Not a dd on pump gas! I agree though with whoopnip, dont buy anything and do a ton of research.