Fuse 56 keeps blowing and stopping my A/C Compressor from running

tcflorida

Honda's RULE
I have a '97 EX Coupe with 167,000. My Condenser Fan fuse #56 keeps blowing. I've narrowed the problem down to either the condenser fan motor, the A/C compressor clutch, or the A/C compressor thermal protector. Those are the only parts on the circuit. When I replace the fuse the A/C runs cold for about 5 min, then the fuse blows. Somewhere there is too much power being drawn.

Three weeks ago I had my timing belt replaced and my water pump too (I think it had never been done). Is it possible that when my mechanic did that work he created a short in the system or are one of those three parts bad?

If one of them is bad, how do I check? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've seen other people have this similar problem but nobody has been able to say how to clearly check the three parts to see which one is bad. I even have access to alldatapro.com and I can't figure it out.

RonJ

Banned
1) If you unplug the condenser fan, does fuse 56 still blow when driving the car with the A/C on?

2) If you unplug the compressor clutch, does fuse 56 still blow when driving the car with the A/C on?

tcflorida

Honda's RULE
I haven't tried that yet. There are two electrical connections to the fan in the front of the car. I'm guessing those are the two pieces to unplug and try running the ac? I'm still a bit confused as to where the compressor clutch is. I'll give it a try and post back. Thank you so much for your help. Ron, I've seen your advice here before and it seems invaluable.

RonJ

Banned
There are two electrical connections to the fan in the front of the car. I'm guessing those are the two pieces to unplug and try running the ac? I'm still a bit confused as to where the compressor clutch is. I'll give it a try and post back.
Post pictures of the fan connectors.

Only one wire (Red) runs to the compressor, and it is for the clutch.

tcflorida

Honda's RULE
So I just ran a test for both connections. First I unplugged the clutch connection and drove three miles. The first thing that happened was the fan did not run at all. The second thing that happened is the car started smoking, not sure what part. The A/C ran fine infact very cool. The smoke however made me very nervous so I plugged the clutch back in and drove home without the A/C on. When I got home I unplugged the fan and ran the A/C. Again the fan did not run (ofcourse it didn't) but the A/C did not cool down. So far nothing has burnt out the fuse. I'm not sure what to do next. I'll keep trouble shooting.

I can't figure out how to post pictures here. I can take great photos but they won't show up. Any tips on that? I know they need to be very small.

Thanks for all your help.

TC

tcflorida

Honda's RULE
So I bought a voltage meter reader and tested all the things it said to do in the manual. I'm pretty sure that the result is I need a new Field Coil.

Now I have an even bigger issue. My compressor is a Denso and it seems like they don't make that part any more. Wow! This just keeps getting better and better. I don't think they even make the compressor any more either, which might include the clutch. Who knows.

I'll keep you updated.

tgoodw

I have a '97 EX Coupe with 167,000. My Condenser Fan fuse #56 keeps blowing. I've narrowed the problem down to either the condenser fan motor, the A/C compressor clutch, or the A/C compressor thermal protector. Those are the only parts on the circuit. When I replace the fuse the A/C runs cold for about 5 min, then the fuse blows. Somewhere there is too much power being drawn.

Three weeks ago I had my timing belt replaced and my water pump too (I think it had never been done). Is it possible that when my mechanic did that work he created a short in the system or are one of those three parts bad?

If one of them is bad, how do I check? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've seen other people have this similar problem but nobody has been able to say how to clearly check the three parts to see which one is bad. I even have access to alldatapro.com and I can't figure it out.
Definitely is the clutch coil, I have the same problem with my 88 civic and am looking for a coil. What happens is it draws too many amps and blows the fuse.