Tail Lights Stay ON!

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so heres a curveball, no recent problems, I am on the road for work, and can't get my tail lights to cut off, i have already had one jujmp, another 149 miles to go, but i would love to fix this problem asap. Any help is greatly appreciated! as for being on the road I have to be their within 3 hrs, so no time to search! thanks guys!

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nned some help with this one guys, cant seem to troubleshoot anything wrong here. Looking @ relays and wiring, brake switch...aghhhhhhhhhh!

ngtvghostrider

7ҧĢɜɴ
Found it online somewhere. Myself and my friend had the same problem as well. idk if this will help but good luck
"There is a switch located under the dash, where the brake peddle-arm comes down. That switch is probably stuck. It’s, usually a spring-loaded switch, that the brake peddle-arm makes contact with. Follow the brake-peddle arm up underneath the dash and feel for the switch. Jiggle the switch and it’ll probably come loose and your lights will go off. If it’s an older car, it may be dirty. If that’s the case. go to an auto-parts store and buy some contact cleaner. If your flexible, you can get your head underneath the dash, so that you can see the switch."

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Found it online somewhere. Myself and my friend had the same problem as well. idk if this will help but good luck
"There is a switch located under the dash, where the brake peddle-arm comes down. That switch is probably stuck. It’s, usually a spring-loaded switch, that the brake peddle-arm makes contact with. Follow the brake-peddle arm up underneath the dash and feel for the switch. Jiggle the switch and it’ll probably come loose and your lights will go off. If it’s an older car, it may be dirty. If that’s the case. go to an auto-parts store and buy some contact cleaner. If your flexible, you can get your head underneath the dash, so that you can see the switch."
:word:

This happened to me a year or so ago. Put a new switch in for a couple of bucks and all was good.

ayzayz

so heres a curveball, no recent problems, I am on the road for work, and can't get my tail lights to cut off, i have already had one jujmp, another 149 miles to go, but i would love to fix this problem asap. Any help is greatly appreciated! as for being on the road I have to be their within 3 hrs, so no time to search! thanks guys!
happend to me once.but in my case, there is a plastic/urethane clip in the brakelight pedal that was broken (dunno how) that's why the switch wont got off and brakelight is always on. :D

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
happend to me once.but in my case, there is a plastic/urethane clip in the brakelight pedal that was broken (dunno how) that's why the switch wont got off and brakelight is always on. :D

Yeah, this is a possibility as well. Happened on my mom's car a while ago.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This service manual diagram should help with locating and identifying the parts:

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The little rubber peice that pushs in the switch to turn off your lights could have possibly fell out. Thats what happened to mine, just another idea.

tcflorida

Honda's RULE
I totally just had that problem. I couldn't believe how easy it was to fix but so frustrating to solve. I wonder why everyone is having one break right now. I found another person who had it break weeks before me.

rebirth

5+ Year Member
Sure you got it by now. Seems like it's happened to a lot of people. It was the brake light switch for me. Honda replaced it for $3. Took 5 mins.