Cost of engine rebuild?

2fast.

5+ Year Member
I have a d16y8 and i was planning on rebuilding it, than getting a turbo.
Does anyone know what it would cost to do a rebuild? (new pistons,rods, valves,valve springs&retainers, camshaft/cam sprocket, etc.)

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it all depends on the brand you want..i guess we cant really tell you the exact cost since we dont know the parts you really want and the brand you want to go with...dont forget to find a good shop to install the parts for you

it might be cheaper to just buy another motor though

2fast.

5+ Year Member
well i know how much its going to cost for the parts, i wanna know how much it will cost for labor to install all those parts?

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am having JUST my bottom end rebuilt for turbo, with parts and labor I'm looking at around $2500. The head would prolly cost about another grand or so then they will charge to reassemble, maybe $5-600...

OH, don't forget the most important part, the tune...I know Inline Pro wants $550 for a tune on pumpgas...

Other things, are you pulling out the motor yourself and reinstalling it or do you want them to do it?? That's another $1,000-$1500.....

Those numbers have come from my research, what Inline Pro said it would cost..

Nosepicker

5+ Year Member
I am having JUST my bottom end rebuilt for turbo, with parts and labor I'm looking at around $2500. The head would prolly cost about another grand or so then they will charge to reassemble, maybe $5-600...

OH, don't forget the most important part, the tune...I know Inline Pro wants $550 for a tune on pumpgas...

Other things, are you pulling out the motor yourself and reinstalling it or do you want them to do it?? That's another $1,000-$1500.....

Those numbers have come from my research, what Inline Pro said it would cost..
What?!!! $5500?!!! Give or take.

Wow! :shock: That's more than what my car or what the OP's car is worth.

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Save money, pull the motor yourself if you can. Good motor work isn't cheap. Def gotta do it right or TRUST me you will regret it.

badasscivicsi

I had the same d16y8 engine you have (2000 civic sig- canada) 218,000km ran great. The other week I took a big drink of water with the cold air intake and hydrauliced the engine. i sourced a shop to put a jdm gen 3 b16 engine in my car for $3090. the b16 has only 80,000km and packs 170hp. way better then the 127hp of the d16. the only problem i have is that the transmission is geared very low, great for driving around town but the hi-way is lame. 100km and I am at 3800rpm. does anyone have any thoughts on this?? sorry I did not mean to jack your post just letting you know what i did in your situation

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That trans makes it quick. It's an Si...not made for great mileage...Y do you think the H2B swap is so nasty???

raysteve

Hi there. same rebuild was done on my engine. the parts cost me around $3500 bucks. This is because I bought genuine honda auto parts /engine parts. It cost me much but I guess it was worth it. The labor back then reached up to a thousand.

2fast.

5+ Year Member
I have decided to just do an engine swap! JDM B18c! If anyone has does this swap before it would be very helpful to let me in on what extra parts were needed to complete it.

Thanks!