XpL0d3r's Build.. Rice to Swapped to Boooost ;)

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's all over, folks. Motor has been sold, car has been delivered to a junk yard.

RIP, Gertrude!

Oh and warning, this will probably be a long read. I'm bored at work, and if I can make over $17 an hour to write this, I'm all for it..

A little background information:
1997 Honda Civic LX Automatic. BONE STOCK.

Car was purchased by my parents in 2000 fresh off a 3 year lease.
In 2005 or some s**t like that, I turned 16 and got my permit. My mother, who can no longer drive due to MS, offered me a choice of one of their cars. The all-mighty cool Chevy Cavalier, or that there Hunduh. Keep in mind I knew nothing about cars, but I took the Honda because it was blue. Cavalier is an ugly tanish looks-like-doogie color... eff that.

OK now that you all know the toughness of the choice I had to make, it's on to details and pictures..!

Like 2006ish
Had the terrible idea to put on a fake eGay EX wing, and the Euro "Altezza" Lights... we all make mistakes right?

AND got some super cool subs by a very good brand (sarcasm included)..

Senior Year Rice-Mobile!
Senior year coming a long, went all out and got the worlds best rims! I even painted my calipers a completely non-matching color for style points! (Driveway shot FTW)

But then I drive into curbs. Sucks to suck, right?

But have no fear! My friend Handy Man Dan and a little bit of paint and bondo fixed 'er right up!

13th, 14th, 15th, and into 16th grade... (I really just didn't keep track of the years, even the ones above are probably wrong... shut up.

At this point the rice was at its max.. even my good asian friend started getting sick of the rice, so I told him I would get him pizza. And by pizza I mean new tail lights:

Then the rowdy fellers at ClubCivic kept telling me to lower the car. So I took my moneys and did three things. I got the worlds cheapest suspension (WHICH, btw.. I still rock today..).. Me and a buddy went slightly gangster and got our windows tinted.. AND I put on some ClubCivic decals (and another one from a site that Petey the O-ishG kinda sorta made.. whatever I still rock that today too). Thanks to Sady on the help for the suspension and letting me use your walls to shoot my springs at.. who needs spring compressors anyways?

Said pic of above update:

I also thought I was a BA (not quite yet a BAMF) at my first Honda meet...

At this point I was in touch with Sady, you may know him as being one of the most knowledgeable D-series guys on this site. I decided I didn't want to be a b***h anymore, and wanted to drive a 5 speed. Well instead of throwing away a clearly awesome car, I got a parts list and collected a bunch of s**t to make my car standard. Once I got e'rything I needed.. it was off on a ~2 hourish trip to upstate NY, where Sady and I would make magic happen (...no homo).

Too rusty to screw out, just bang on it!

Of course it needed a new ISB, because the inner part of the bearing fell out. The only way to get the outer part off... JB weld it together!

OK enough pics of turning my car into what 95% of you already have...

So.. that used tranny I got from a member on this website "Perfect condition EX tranny" for sale.. whoever sold it to me can lick my dog's chin. Needless to say synchros were bad, popped out of 1st and 5th and even when I was in REVERSE it would somehow manage to go forward at times... don't even ask.

So I got a used tranny that didn't have aids, and finally got the car running well... Until I decided to d**k around with my car some more. I wanted a little Honda add-on to my car, also known as Vtech minus the h.

So... got another parts list, and went to see that D-series professional in the lamest state in the US, home to the worst baseball team in the US... and I don't mean the Orioles.

But because I'm too lazy to delete what I just typed above, just pretend this next sentence is before that.. I got new wheels!

Okay thanks. Now moving on to Vtak... yo.

OK so days went by, car is still slow. Picked up a header and a few other things like a new sub (Just one 12" JL Audio) and a header. I Daily drove the car at work delivering for Domino's Pizza ($7.99 carry out special large 1 topping, go get it).. went some places and did some things. Saw Special Edition 40th anniversary Lambo's get totalled.. yea know the usual.

..Until one day delivering pizza.. I ran out of coolant. And the motor ended up getting hotter than Adriana Lima back in 2007. Which BTW, is hot. Needless to say, and I quote my mechanic here "I got some bad news for ya, motor's toast".

At this point, I decided to be slightly awesome and go B-series. Found a good deal on a GSR block.. and picked it up. Then I got lazy.. Good thing that same Mechanic knew a guy selling a complete B18 setup.. literally everything I needed except for motor mounts and an ECU.. and half shaft and axles.. and probably some other stuff.. for $1500. So I paid the guy a visit, and found out it's a JDM B18B, and only has 36k on it. I pulled some strings like Chad Kroger or whoever the f**k he is from Nickelback, and talked him down to $1100. Got a truck and a muscular man, and took the motor back to my house. Keep in mine the head and tranny were already bolted to the block, so it was a heavy f**ker. Sold the GSR motor to some dude... got the rest of the s**t for the new heart... and paid yet another visit to a really cool guy with a terrible football team choice (Really? The EAGLES?!) But I rather describe the next process in pics. Sooo:

Don't mind the Eagles fan in this one, just ignore him like he doesn't exist :lol:

Then I decided to paint the VC instead of the terrible idea of dirty white.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So.. I decided to be cool and get a lip like everyone else. And a grille. And go a little lower with the same DropZone coilovers.. why the eff not. "Lip needs paint" - shut up it's painted now just not in these pics. Say Hi to the S2K and the Subaru! :hi:

OK so now I remember.. the pics above were from this spring.. I think. Anyways continuing on...

I painted my VC again.. this time in the color of Porcupine Purple. And moved my license plate that way --->

I found someone locally that I knew, who paints.. and decided to get the ENTIRE car painted. Took the wing off, painted all the trim, fixed all the dents, etc.. I still have one more coat to do soon so I don't really have any pictures right now.. except for this one with no lips on. And yes I will paint the wiper arms back to black eventually.. keep in mine the level of effort required (minimal) and the effort I wish to use (minimal -1)

JK I found a pic of the car in progess of paint.. here look:

OK so.. I then decided I wanted more giddy-up! A b-series is nice and all.. but just upgrading to a b-series from a d-series is like upgrading from Rosie O'Donnell to Queen Latifah.. pretty much the same minus the gay. and slightly more gangster, but still a bad performer overall.

So I went and got some moneys and then got rid of the moneys the next day by going on a shopping spree. Which includes but is not limited to:

Thanks to Greg from Go-Autoworks for a GREAT quality kit and a great price!

So I made sure Latifah was ready for a pacemaker (I'm trying to prevent heart attacks here).. and took another visit to NY to see the only cool Eagles fan this side of the Mississippi:

So after the install.. we hoped and prayed the f**ker would start up. Converted to OBD1 running a chipped P06.. basemap on there so I can get the car to the tuner. And (for once) things went my way and the car ran like a champ! So I drove the car 45 minutes with an OPEN header down I-87 to the great tuners at Synapse Motorsports in like Saratoga-ish NY...

Turns out I had a dirty injector (shun the man on here who sold them to me!).. but they were still able to tune to car with a clogged injector and no IAT plugged in.. a long with random Lean issues and electrical overloads... I set my goal at 250 whp and was pretty close for a bad injector:

Where I'm at now, yo CURRENT AS OF 9/14/2010

OK so.. I picked up some new cleaned & flow tested injectors... and because of that the car is running super rich. I will be bringing the car back to Synapse soon, however I need to get my brake lines replaced they were so rusted they've been leaking fluid.. I'm talking the lines running to the rear wheels too. Getting the IAT sensor hooked up soon (just ordered a flange from Xenocron), and I have new rotors and pads ready to go in. I will also get better pics of the paint once I get the lip put on.

So for now.. stay tuned for updates!

BIGGGG Thanks to Ryan for help on like.. everything!
Thanks to Greg from Go-Autoworks, and to Morgan and Greg #2 from Synapse Motorsports!
And thanks to some of my friends for helping out.. and for the ones just telling me to get a new car and stop spending money on this one: :moon:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Without that Eagles fan, none of this would of happened. And IF it would of happened, you'd be broke, like the guys in brokeback mountain.

Good s**t Shaun. Get 'er retuned, then see the only cool Eagles fan this side of the Mississippi, for a nice foe-toe-shoot.

Oh, and your welcome for all the hard labor, blood, sweat, and tears put into your car. :thumbs up

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thank you sir! :thumbs up Definitely would have not been able to do much of any of it without your help!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Good s**t here :thumbs up.

Wish you were coming to the WNY Honda-Tech meet again this year man. I'd love to see the new bewst. I should have Ryan do some work for me too! :D

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
very nice, glad everything went ok!

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nice time line op reminds me of my time line thread too

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks sick, makes me want to do more to my sedan.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good s**t here :thumbs up.

Wish you were coming to the WNY Honda-Tech meet again this year man. I'd love to see the new bewst. I should have Ryan do some work for me too! :D
You know how to get ahold of me, bro. Just LMK! :thumbs up

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Car is in the shop getting new brake AND fuel lines from the motor back. Hopefully will get the car back and the IAT flange welded in and hooked up next week, and then finally retuned so I stop getting 15 mpg... lol

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Couple nice pics, taken by Sady a couple days ago :thumbs up

Car needs a final wetsand and respray, and the lips will be back on the car soon..!

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Excellent thread! I was kinda bummed when you decided LS vs. GSR, but you clearly made up for it lol. Nice work. Looks great and good luck with the retune! Any plans for another set or wheels or anything else?

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
nice work, im just getting the ripped skin off my knuckles from tearing down my ls turbo this evening. your build looks as if you put some heart into it. Whats next for you?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks man!

Excellent thread! I was kinda bummed when you decided LS vs. GSR, but you clearly made up for it lol. Nice work. Looks great and good luck with the retune! Any plans for another set or wheels or anything else?
Yeah I couldn't really pass up the complete motor nice and local (which is rare here, not much of a Honda scene). No plans on changing the wheels for now, but next summer I hope to get some of the suspension stuff taken care of.. I've been rocking cheap DropZone suspension for over two years now, and I honestly can't complain too much - just looking to upgrade!

nice work, im just getting the ripped skin off my knuckles from tearing down my ls turbo this evening. your build looks as if you put some heart into it. Whats next for you?
More money than heart, unfortunately... lol. But all my friends who just tell me to "buy a new car" or get rid of my car.. don't really understand. I rather put dedication into something like this and know it's something I can say we built and be proud of. It definitely still needs some work, but I'm very happy with it right now. Plans just really to get it running right for now (running super rich), and put the lips back on. Next summer I would love to redo the suspension, and if I have money to do a mild build on the block.

Andddd an update. Car goes to tuner October 13! Getting a ~10 lb wastegate spring, so I can run a little more boost (whatever tuner feels safe). I'm only boosting 5.5 lbs right now, so I'm guessing somewhere around 8 maybe? We'll see..!