B20B non vtec turbo

Gmoney

Hey guys, i am new to this site so i have no idea what im doing right now, but i have a 2000 honda civic sir that is currently boosted with a garrett t3/t4 turbo kit, i blew the engine in it, but i am purchasing a B20B and just wondering if it is a good engine to boost and whats the horsepower and turque im going to be expecting, stock internals, stock engine, i will be running it on lower psi, probably like 7 or 8...

paulx022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
b20's are the most reliable motors to boost, they are around 130 or so whp but you wont be pushing much to be honest, maybe 250? i dont really know much about b20's other than them being in crv's are kindof sucking.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
b20's are the most reliable motors to boost, they are around 130 or so whp but you wont be pushing much to be honest, maybe 250? i dont really know much about b20's other than them being in crv's are kindof sucking.
This statement is false... B20s have thin walls and are known to blow under boost unless FULLY built properly with adequate attention to sleeving with something stronger than stock.

Gmoney

i heard its alright to boost though if you are running low boost.. damn ehh

paulx022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This statement is false... B20s have thin walls and are known to blow under boost unless FULLY built properly with adequate attention to sleeving with something stronger than stock.
no? i'm pretty sure b20's actually have the thickest walls. maybe im wrong but thats always what vie heard

CO-EM1

b20s are not good for boost....with that said ive had good experience with a gsr engine. but who knows u might have great luck with the b20 but thats my op.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Taken right from G2IC's turbo intro thread:

Most stock Honda motors take boost quite well (the B20 being the exception)
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

That's not saying they're not good.. any motor can run boost fine if properly built and tuned. A b20 just will not handle boost as reliable as an LS motor would.

I'm running an LS motor right now all stock internals @ 10psi on a t3/t4 60 trim. It handles boost very well MINUS the head lifting from the block slightly causing a little bit of a leak.. I have stock head bolts though which is why.. (I need ARP head studs).

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Taken right from G2IC's turbo intro thread:

http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

That's not saying they're not good.. any motor can run boost fine if properly built and tuned. A b20 just will not handle boost as reliable as an LS motor would.

I'm running an LS motor right now all stock internals @ 10psi on a t3/t4 60 trim. It handles boost very well MINUS the head lifting from the block slightly causing a little bit of a leak.. I have stock head bolts though which is why.. (I need ARP head studs).
excellent resource, thx for the link.