driving in the snow

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok im new to snow this year. tonight was my first time driving in the snow. it sucks, but im sure you all know this. lemme start by saying i know how to drive stick properly ( not mashing the clutch, releasing the clutch and pressing the gas correctly etc) what i found that happened is my tires would spin just getting out of first with me doing like 5mph. now is this due to my tires sucking and i need winter tires? ( i plan on doing this anyway because i havent changed them since moving from florida) or do i need weight in my trunk or something? I dunno theres gotta be another way to deal with this. The slow driving doesnt bother me. the lack of control does. any help is appreciated.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Driving in the snow takes skill. Yes, skill. Most cars you see off the road are 1. idiots 2. people who can't drive 3. SUV's who think they own the road.

There's no way around losing control. Just drive slower. You obviously have to take your turns slower, you have to be careful how you approach stop signs and red lights that are on hills, etc. You might even have to take different routes to avoid hills if you're having a tough time starting in first. When you're actually moving though, the lower the RPM's, the better. So, the higher the gear, the better. Same goes with starting. Try starting in 2nd. Don't romp on the gas. Spinning will get you no where. If it's cold enough, all you're doing is heating up your tires, melting a little of the snow but more so packing it down, and it's already cold out enough to freeze again and it'll just create a layer of ice for you to slide on.

You don't need snow tires. They are nice to have and they are a world of a difference to drive on over all-seasons, but you don't need them. In the 6 years I've been driving in the snow here in NY (and trust me, we will get feet upon feet, massive blizzards), I have never used studded or snow tires and I get to where I need to go with no problems. You just have to be cautious and drive better.

And also, using your e-brake around corner MAY help at times. If you start to understeer and slide, DO NOT SLAM ON THE BRAKES. Pull up the e-brake to swing the ass around, and then compensate. Or "drift", if you will.

When you need to stop, don't rely on your regular brakes as much, engine brake. You'll notice you stop a lot faster if you downshift and engine brake than if you try to use regular brakes (with no engine brake) to stop. Hell, I even dump the clutch into 1st gear and it stops me a HELL of a lot faster.

SketchyyySi

w00t, sold me 88 hatch :)
I'm new to snow this year too. I don't have a civic yet, but my car is automatic and the tires still spin just coming from a stop light. But, i don't have any problems controlling. Idk, this probably didn't help whatsoever.

p.s. parking lot sliding is fun as hell. first time was today. lol.

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yesterday was my first time driving on ice and snow this year. It's a lot different now with newer tires.. :lol:

As John said, engine braking is probably one of the best ways to stop down a hill. From my experience, I had to go over a huge bridge yesterday, and I couldn't stop to take the corner, so I engine braked, and "drifted" the corner. Sounds like a ricer, I know.. But hey, it got me safely around the corner and stopped me from nailing a Prius.

ALSO, I advise you not to yank the ebrake twice though, I did that also.. got about 6 inches from nailing a pole in a parking lot :lol:

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for the replies guys. I was doing like 20 the whole way home and at least 3 car lengths when i could. call me extra cautious but it would really suck if i hit something/someone. ill def try the higher lower rpms in higher gears thing. that sounds like that may have alleviated all of the 1st gear spin trouble i had. and if i can swing it ill just take the hit on snow tires. a lil more control couldnt hurt.

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for the replies guys. I was doing like 20 the whole way home and at least 3 car lengths when i could. call me extra cautious but it would really suck if i hit something/someone. ill def try the higher lower rpms in higher gears thing. that sounds like that may have alleviated all of the 1st gear spin trouble i had. and if i can swing it ill just take the hit on snow tires. a lil more control couldnt hurt.
Don't worry about you driving slow. If you wanna drive like a grandma, s**t.. go for it. I do it all the time in the snow because I don't want anything to happen to my car. :lol:

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't have much experience in the snow, but I do this:
In adverse conditions, slow down.

Engine braking is your best friend, but know when to use it and HOW to use it. You don't want to slam down a gear, rather, let the clutch out slowly, you don't want to let it out quick and have a chance of your drive tires spinning/slipping.

Drive slow. In snow ABS can actually INCREASE your braking distance, in an emergency situation, lock your tires up and keep the steering wheel STRAIGHT, it'll cause a snow plow effect and slow the vehicle down.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont think its very difficult. just drive slow especially around turns. it also helps to practice in an empty parking lot to learn the feel of your car/how much gas you can give before spinning the tires, etc.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, because I don't have enough time to read through every post....but when starting out, it really helps to start out in a higher gear. Start in 2nd but drive like you normally would.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I find that pace is what helps me drive in the snow best. If the roads are bad and i'm approaching a red light I will downshift and coast without touching the brakes. The worst thing you can do in snow and ice is hit your brakes.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol yeah it was. Some cities dont allow chains on your tires i think? atleast ive been told that

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
what always worked for me is i pump the brakes real light also start slowing down like 3-5 car links then normal. Im going on my 4th year in the snow never had any problems. wondering how it will be in brockton tho seeing as i heard they dont really plow and my car is stuck slammed for now. can you say free snow plow fml.

sampsas

I got lucky when i got my Civic a month ago and found someone who recently sold his Si and kept the winter rims and tires (thinking they would fit a 350z) They only had about 150 miles of use and I got them for $300 and THEY do make a world of differance when driving in the snow and ice... Also as everyone has stated do the engine breaking, starting out in 2nd gear, leave plenty of room for stoping... Nothing worse then haveing an idiot in front of you slam on the breaks and they slide into on coming traffic and then suddenly see headlight from on coming cars starring at you!!! and the most important thing DRIVE SLOW... I see it all the time people in the monster SUVs going to pass someone on the highway and they end up in the ditch... Or watching a dually's rearend fishtaling badly and almost taking me out when he tried to pass me.. PEOPLE IT IS SNOWING!!!! it is not summer anymore!!!!! and always drive the conditions of the road not the capasity of the car!!

Good luck my friend in this wonderful with weather!!