gas gauge needle wont work

civic914

5+ Year Member
ok so i have an si cluster in my 97 dx and i just recently put gas and when i went to turn my car on the gas needle didnt move at all:( can anyone help me and tell me what can i do? or what should i fix?

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Try this...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^ Yeah that's way too much work for me lol. Don't you have to pull the carpet and rear seats? No thanks lol.

My gas gauge broke many years ago. I just go by my trip meter now.

emerican

Registered VIP
It is a pain never did a honda one, but did the sending unit and the floater in the tank itself in my 5.0 worth it to me just to have everything work. I hate looking at gauges that i know dont work.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Would a bad fuel gauge sending unit cause the fuel gauge to read beyond full and stay there? Not WAY past full but a little past where it would read when the tank is full. Mine comes down and reads the correct fuel level a couple times a year.

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ More likely your cluster,.....Do the test, it's not a scary as it looks....:mrgreen:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
After helping my friend do my timing belt and such over the weekend, I actually really miss working on my car. I might put this on my list of things to do once the weather gets warmer.

How do you test the gas gause on the cluster if that's bad?

(Sorry for the thread jack civic914)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Check out RonJ's post #7 here...Click
Excellent. Thanks! I'll have to add that to the list of things to do when the weather gets warmer.

Maybe it'll even give me an excuse to switch to a CRV cluster at the time I inspect it and find that the gauge itself is bad ;). That's if I can find a manual one...

emerican

Registered VIP
That test cant be near as bad as dropping gas tanks man trust me lol. I have had to do that s**t for friends and to one of my cars not really difficult, but it always ends up being a huge pain in the ass somehow.