please help me find out if my civic is vtec?

milagro33

5+ Year Member
Ok guys so i just bought a used 96' EX coupe with a d16y7 swap i was told it has vtec but after reading about the d16y7 engines everyone says their not.vtec. Is there anyway besides the engine code to find out? I know it could have a different head but dont know how to tell. It seems pretty quick. Alot more peppy than people describe the d16y7 but i wanna know for sure. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Im a noob to the honda world but loving it so far!

Thanks!

Ed[K*]

GO! GO! GADGET VTEC!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lulz at "peppy"

anyway, welcome =)
wth would they swap a y7? did you ask why they did that? just curious :P
if im not mistaken, all ex's 96-00 came with a d16y8 stock and yes those are vtec only
d16y7 do not have vtec BUT can be installed...simply look under your hood and look for
this green solenoid:

orrr just go into an overpass and floor it and wait for vteeeeeccc to engage lmao

use this btw, should help :thumbs up good luck!:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=554053

emerican

Registered VIP
welcome
I would have defintly asked them why they did that swap and why they lied to you telling you it was vtec.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^ not always, you can just put a differnt valve cover on to be cool

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^cuz everyone knows if u don't have vtec, then u ain't cool :thumbs up:

emerican

Registered VIP
^ of course man you cant be cool without vtec lol
Some auto tranny models dont say vtec either, but they are

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
[QUOTE='Ed[K*];3095672'...simply look under your hood and look for
this green solenoid:

[/QUOTE]

The green plug goes to the oil pressure switch, I believe. The vtec solenoid is the little rusty brown cylinder looking thing just above that (top right corner of the picture).

FRBOET

LOL @ OP for not using Google. Another easy way to tell if it is v-tech is the sunroof then it is a ex trim. d16y8

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LOL @ OP for not using Google. Another easy way to tell if it is v-tech is the sunroof then it is a ex trim. d16y8
Lol @ you for not fully reading. He said that the motor was swapped before he bought it.

milagro33 said:
Ok guys so i just bought a used 96' EX coupe with a d16y7 swap

Also, it's vtec. V-tech is a brand/type of house phone.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U can tell if u have vtec by driving the car also...

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ vtec is best bro LOL

op if you don't see that solenoid. then you have no vtec

mr.nieto

told u 2 look for the v-tec solenoid -.- oh jst make sure that solenoid is good and the gaskets too...it has "2" small gaskets in ther...for me one of em cost $35 (bout 2in big) and the other $30(bout 1in big)...and i had to order em kinda suxd but got my baby running///if ther not on..oil starts coming out...

mr.nieto

oh wow i didn't know that. On my 2001 ex civic it says VTEC so I thought it has it but maybe the previous owner changed the cover =o
older models dont say _vtec_ on the cover it jst has the "h"....thats y u look for the solenoid or the green plug and thats ur vtec....if not drive it and let the tec kick in (wich is bout 4000-5000 rpm)....ull feel a tug and burst of speed....jst dnt over rev it(higher than 6500 rpm) cuz then u can blow up sensors and ur screwd