Just a small update :)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I feel fancy. And I want to show off :lol:. For anyone that has a plug and play HID kit in stock halogen headlamps, please PLEASE stop what you are doing and get projectors. The light is SO MUCH MORE concentrated where it should be. I cannot emphasize how bright it is.

I can't even tell my fog lights are on anymore. BARELY. All I see is a little bit of yellow on the VERY outer edges on the side of the road. The only downside now is when I'm going down a hill or something, I have no idea what is ahead of me haha. The cut off is SO sharp, I literally see nothing ahead of me. I have yet to wire the high beams but I can't wait to get them working.

8-16-11 edit:
I just finished writing a how to =):
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=206263

Here are 2 pics for now:

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
very nice, i've been wanting to buy another set of lights to do a retro-fit

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks good. it stands out a little to much for my tastes I just really like how the stocklights look

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It takes a little getting used to. But these projectors are actually small. I didn't have to cut the headlight at all. I literally took them apart, locked them in, put the headlight back together, and was done.

As far as light output is concerned, nothing beats this. I had Philips Xtreme Power halogen bulbs which are rated +80%. They've got NOTHING on this retrofit. Like I said, I can't tell that my fog lights are on anymore. Before with the halogens, I could easily tell.

I actually bought a used driver side OEM headlight off someone on here. But in shipping, one tab broke. So I may end up buying another driver side headlight and transferring the retrofit. Only because stuff like that bugs the crap out of me =).

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks good man. where did you get your retrofit supplies at? any chance youd be willing to do it for others on here?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I got the projectors off www.theretrofitsource.com. I bought JUST the projectors. Mini H1 4.0's. Then I bought a raptor plug & play H1 HID kit from ddm tuning. I know the stock bulbs are H4, which is where the wiring gets tricky. Instead of using ghetto electrical connectors, I just cut the headlight plug off and soldered the HID kit to the factory headlight wires for good connections.

It's actually very easy to do =). I should've written a How-To but I was so excited about having a proper cut off line, all I could think about was getting it done.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn i love that cutoff youve got going there, i do need to open up and reseal my headlights maybe its time for this lol

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think you need some hid's in your fog lights because if your fogs are on in that picture then its crappy lighting. (see sig below for example)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that looks amazing. nice job
Thanks!

damn i love that cutoff youve got going there, i do need to open up and reseal my headlights maybe its time for this lol
There really isn't no reason you shouldn't. Like I said, you don't have to cut the headlight at all. The projectors literaly just slide in and lock in.

I think you need some hid's in your fog lights because if your fogs are on in that picture then its crappy lighting. (see sig below for example)
My fog lights are on. The reason you can't see them is because the HID light is now concentrated where it should be: on the ground. Not off to the side, not up in the air, no random scattering or lines going whatever which way. It's ALL below the cut off point. Which means it's going to be brighter.

Do you have a P&P kit in your head lights without projectors? I know back when I had a P&P kit without projectors, I could tell when my fog lights were on because the HID light was so scattered and up in the air, not much was focused on the ground. Which appears to be what your sig looks like.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could you post some pics of the projects on the backside. I had been checking out the retrofit source for a few weeks now. Seeing you post on it makes me a lil less nervous to open up a set of headlights. Drop as much info on this setup as you can....

...i'd appreciate it at least lol =)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
could you post some pics of the projects on the backside. I had been checking out the retrofit source for a few weeks now. Seeing you post on it makes me a lil less nervous to open up a set of headlights. Drop as much info on this setup as you can....

...i'd appreciate it at least lol =)
I really should have taken pictures during the install. That's one thing I really regret right now about these. But like I said before, I was too excited and wanted to get it done :D.

The projectors are small and on the back of them is a threaded bit of metal (essentially a giant bolt). Basically you open the headlights, use an included white rubber washer, put it on the back of the projector (to help it seat better), put the projector in through the front, pull the wire through the back, then use an included H4 washer plate, put that into the stock headlight bulb seat, put the other smaller white rubber washer on, then use the included nut and tighten it down. So it's:

Projector - Rubber washer - Stock headlight - H4 washer plate - Smaller and thinner white rubber washer - Locking nut.

So unlike doing a retrofit with TSX projectors or something where you actually have to cut the headlight opening more and screw the projectors INTO the headlight, these just lock in. You can spin them in the headlight. That's how I adjusted my cut off horizontally. Then I put the cover back on and used the adjusters to adjust the cut off up/down & left/right.

I'm going to talk to my brother and see if he wants me to do this for him. If I end up doing it for another car, I'll definitely take detailed pictures.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Unfortunately he doesn't want a retrofit :(.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im not talking about the headlights. Your fogs are very dim compared to mine. They need to be upgraded.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They're not dim. I can drive with just them. But with my HID's on, you can't even tell they're on. My retrofit overpowers them.

I don't feel like putting in an HID kit into stock halogen reflectors and blinding people ;).

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dang JohnS. you really got my wheels turning!! Im checking out TRS site right now!! I really like how that turned out!! If you get the time can you take a couple pics of the backside of the light install? I have plenty of room on the passenger side but of coarse as u know its a bit tight on the drivers. You did an awesome job man!! :rocker::thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Maybe its your camera then? Because it DOES look dim.
You telling me that putting hids in your foglights will blind people?

It kind of looks like your sig is a little big btw. Might want to fix that before you get an infraction ;)