Best Engine?

Millikin

Hey there =) I just recently bought a 95 civic Ex 1.6 V-tec for a project car. I've got the cash to blow and want to make this car fast, but yet reliable. So I started looking into turbo kits to buy and right away a friend told me I didn't want to do that! He recommended a B-16 type R Jdm engine swap rather than the turbo. So my question to you guys is whats the best thing to do and or best engine to get? How can I make this car fast, fast, fast and super reliable. Please help. Any advise is super appreciated :lol::lol: Thanks Guy's

James315

turbo cars can be reliable if you use quality parts and most important a great tune and its a honda they are all reliable. turbo that d man its gonna cost less than most swap and will be a fun little car.

emerican

Registered VIP
What is your actual hp goal besides saying you want it to be fast?
Also if the parts are good and the tune is good then a turbo car is very reliable.
If you do go turbo do your research on who you let tune it the tune is defintly the most imoprtant part of any turbo setup.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How can I make this car fast, fast, fast and super reliable. Please help. Any advise is super appreciated :lol::lol: Thanks Guy's
I hope you have DEEEEEP pockets because fast (and especially "fast, fast, fast") and reliable are going to take A LOT of money.

It all depends on what you would prefer to do. You can turbo any motor as long as it's built properly. But most importantly THE TUNE is what matters to seal the deal. A shitty tune can ruin any hella built motor. Read around. Not only here but other Honda forums. Use Google. Everyone has their own tastes. Turbo D, B, H, K....the info is all over the web at your fingertips.

E.Honda

What does "fast fast fast" mean lol. I think you should do some research before you start blowing money and realize you have no goal. There are a ton's of combinations on making a Honda go fast. You should set a goal of how much power you really want to make.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So my question to you guys is whats the best thing to do and or best engine to get?
A search engine....

There are literally a million threads out there for you to read research and consider.

This question "what should I do first/now?" comes up quite often. Read, research and read some more before jumping right in, not knowing what you're doing and hopefully keep you from wasting money, buying the wrong parts, then getting in over your head and having to sell the half done, hacked up "project".

The old saying, "Measure twice, cut once..." applies.

Since you may not know much about the car, get it running as best as possible in its current stage. A basic tune-up is in order.
Replace:
-Distributor cap and rotor
-Spark plugs & wires
-All filters (air, fuel, oil)

Fix anything broken, replace and maintain EVERYTHING as much as possible, spark plugs, brakes, bushings, belts, bearings, ball joints, & fluids. Replacing what needs to be maintained gives you a certain point of reference of what exactly has now been done and shouldn't have to be worried about for a while, instead of guessing or waiting for something to break unexpectedly. It also gets you to know and understand various parts of the car, knowledge that will help you for the rest of your life.

Get used to the way it drives, the way it handles, the way it performs... after you get used to it, then go for something bigger, IE; engine swap, rebuild, turbo, etc.
Be patient and start reading, searching, planning and saving for whatever project you come up with. Don't cut corners or cheap out. Most importantly, there is a lot of false information running around on the World wide web, be careful and do lots of searches to compare answers.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A search engine....

There are literally a million threads out there for you to read research and consider.

This question "what should I do first/now?" comes up quite often. Read, research and read some more before jumping right in, not knowing what you're doing and hopefully keep you from wasting money, buying the wrong parts, then getting in over your head and having to sell the half done, hacked up "project".

The old saying, "Measure twice, cut once..." applies.

Since you may not know much about the car, get it running as best as possible in its current stage. A basic tune-up is in order.
Replace:
-Distributor cap and rotor
-Spark plugs & wires
-All filters (air, fuel, oil)

Fix anything broken, replace and maintain EVERYTHING as much as possible, spark plugs, brakes, bushings, belts, bearings, ball joints, & fluids. Replacing what needs to be maintained gives you a certain point of reference of what exactly has now been done and shouldn't have to be worried about for a while, instead of guessing or waiting for something to break unexpectedly. It also gets you to know and understand various parts of the car, knowledge that will help you for the rest of your life.

Get used to the way it drives, the way it handles, the way it performs... after you get used to it, then go for something bigger, IE; engine swap, rebuild, turbo, etc.
Be patient and start reading, searching, planning and saving for whatever project you come up with. Don't cut corners or cheap out. Most importantly, there is a lot of false information running around on the World wide web, be careful and do lots of searches to compare answers.
He pretty much said it. lol

Good luck with the build and perhaps consider a build thread to share your newly found knowledge with the world :D

Be sure to include lots of pics lol

Millikin

Alright, I guess I was a little vague in the first post. I'd like to see an overall Hp gain of 80-120. With no more than $5000.00 invested. And still maintaining reliability of the car. I've got a full shop with all the equipment t to do about anything. So if a turbo kits a good start than any idea on which one and what else should be done to the engine so it can handle it safely ? Or should I just start out with a JDM B16 or B18 type R swap then slowly go from there?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you don't know anything about turbo's, start with a swap. If you don't know anything about swaps, stick to researching for now.

HondaEG

What i have heard is that boosting or turbo a SOHC is the easiest way and i bit cheaper too. I own a D16Z6 motor and plan on boosting it sometime soon.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
F20c swap. $5k and your own garage?...it can be done.

srs, just build and boost your D. :what:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What i have heard is that boosting or turbo a SOHC is the easiest way and i bit cheaper too.
But you STILL need to educate yourself and know what you are doing before diving in and shelling out the cash.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Build the d vitara pistons pick your rods either fj or eagle rods uograde fuel and engine management then buy you a nice turbo Kit and get your tune.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
b16's are over priced, go gsr with a mild build, but most of all LEARN THE CAR first otherwise you'll be maing changes without knowing if they are really doing anything... also, consider suspension before the motor...just my 2 cents

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
alot of ppl throwing out alot of advice or more or less opinions. I have a b16 and love it best b series transmission besides a itr lsd tranny. b16 has they best flowing b series head also just short of the itr. Im in the process of replacing my head gasket ,arp headstuds, and a wired tuck and will l8r be coupled with a 57 trim turbo. I believe/hope ill be faster than a b18b turbo which has long gears and supposedly weaks and cant rev very high

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
who give a f**k what b series it is if he's boosting it

if you want more power turn up the boost

want to rev faster get the right transmission

after that s**t is decided....its up to how much money you want to spend

clearly the OP has no idea what he wants or much about hondas period

so first order of business is to RESEARCH AND LEARN