Car Shaking When Accelerating

MLC

Unfortunately I'm back with some more problems with my car. Had two new tires put onto my car a few weeks back and also an alignment. Been experiencing some shaking and couldn't figure out what it was. Thought it could be cupped tires/alignment. Drove smooth for about 2 days, then went back to shaking. Before I had the alignment and tires put on, it was shaking for about a month or so. Had someone look at it and said it sounded like my rack and pinion. Clicking (or knocking noise) when I move my steering wheel back and forth.

Went to a wedding this weekend, and every time I accelerate, it shakes badly and feels like it has no power. Isn't any worse when I'm going uphill. About the same. Can't exactly go over 75 without it shaking pretty badly. When I tested it around town the today, I accelerated pretty quickly at the stop sign to find out what's going on.. and yep.. didn't have much power until I was in 2nd gear. Didn't shake much. Seems like it gets worse when I drive it for a long period of time. Can't figure it out. When tires were put on.. they didn't balance and rotate. But I don't know if that's my problem, because it was there before I had that work done.

Advice? Steps on what to look at first and what to replace? Work my way up from the easiest to the more expensive/harder stuff?

Thanks
-Michelle

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Have you checked your motor mounts?

My Accord shakes on acceleration because my front and rear mounts are cracked.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm leaning towards motor mounts as well.

gugiey

Registered VIP
I would check tie rod end and sway bars .

95lxsedan

Check your axles as the gease can dry out and cause a acceleration shake and bind.. hope this helps and u find the issue

MLC

Thanks for the replies.. Wasn't able to look today.. but will look at everything you all suggested. One other thing that might help.. Even when I'm slowly driving.. lets say 5-10mph, my steering wheel with gently move back and forth. Like something is lose. But yeah.. will keep you all updated. Thanks again!

MLC

So it looks like both right and left motor mounts are cracked. Not much engine movement when I rev the engine in drive with the brake or in reverse. There's a little.. but not too too much. Was told that the mounts will probably need to be replaced.. Also was told that the transmission mount needs to be replaced ASAP. Not entirely sure how this guy figured that out without looking underneath.. but, yeah. That's about as much as I could get looked at today. The other stuff.. I don't have the proper tools to use to diagnose.

Could the transmission mount cause shaking? I heard it's about 20$ to replace, which isn't bad at all. Was thinking I was gonna have to dump more money into my car.

HondaP_wer

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So the faster you go the faster the vibration? Bent wheel? You can't always trust the guy balancing. They don't always look at the tire when they balance cause the guard. Jack it up and check em out. While you have it up wiggle the top and bottom of the tire to check wheel bearing play (don't put your fingers underneath the tire either lol). You should feel no play at all (i think honda actually says .002" max but you can't feel that) Also try everything else everyone here mentioned. Good luck.

MLC

Possibly! I'm so badly uneducated about cars, but I'm a quick learner when people give me instructions. lol. I'll jack it up and check it out. I was having this issue before the new tires were put on in the back. Front 2 are... at least 5-6 months old. Back tires were badly cupped. I figured an alignment would fix the shaking.. Didn't last long. And yeah, the shaking is consistent throughout driving the entire time, but gets worse when I drive faster. Also, when I'm driving the car for a long period of time.. for example, drove 4 hours home this last weekend and it got worse the longer I was driving it. Then when I accelerate, it'll feel like it doesn't have much power and it'll shake pretty badly. But when I'm not driving for that long.. the car won't shake as bad when I accelerate. Not just the steering wheel.. but the entire car. The faster I go, the worse it gets. The more I slow down, the less severe it is. It's like a wobble. Also, I don't even think they did a balance.. They didn't rotate my tires. Didn't put the two brand new ones on the front and the two older ones on the back. I've always had that done, except with these guys.. But again, this has been a problem even before I had an alignment and new tires. Grrr. I've had enough of this car... :???:

HondaP_wer

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your brake rotors too. If for some reason the caliper is grabbing and letting go making it feel like loss of power? Don't worry about being uneducated. We were all there before we became obsessed about our cars. =)

gugiey

Registered VIP
Check your brake rotors too. If for some reason the caliper is grabbing and letting go making it feel like loss of power? Don't worry about being uneducated. We were all there before we became obsessed about our cars. =)
brake calipers done just compress and decompress on there own. And
I'f he had a stuck caliber it would cause more of a pull .

and you said they didnt balance your tires ?? this could be your problem right there . I would make sure all are balanced . then I would jack the car up and check for play in your tie rod or ball joints .

to check this lift your car up . and grab a tire at 3 and 9 and wiggle back and forth . there should be no play . don't
mistaken your wheel turning as play .
then grab your wheel at 12 and 6 and do the same thing .

Javier.San1993

It's pretty funny that I read this about now. I just got back from my mechanic with the same problem. I had a long drive yesterday (2 hours) and today in the morning my car started to shake with the simplest of accelerations! I went to go get my tires aligned and balanced and then went to my mechanic who showed me a giant problem right away. Apparently when I bought my car a few months ago, the guy who had put in the motor didn't mount the engine properly; there was NO mount on the driver's side.... (I felt like such an idiot when he told me, it made me realize that I was horrible at buying cars!)

My point here is:
-Balance/Align Tires
-Get motor mounts done

I believe the latter would be the most common solution to this...

Zedicous

Unfortunately I'm back with some more problems with my car. Had two new tires put onto my car a few weeks back and also an alignment. Been experiencing some shaking and couldn't figure out what it was. Thought it could be cupped tires/alignment. Drove smooth for about 2 days, then went back to shaking. Before I had the alignment and tires put on, it was shaking for about a month or so. Had someone look at it and said it sounded like my rack and pinion. Clicking (or knocking noise) when I move my steering wheel back and forth.

Went to a wedding this weekend, and every time I accelerate, it shakes badly and feels like it has no power. Isn't any worse when I'm going uphill. About the same. Can't exactly go over 75 without it shaking pretty badly. When I tested it around town the today, I accelerated pretty quickly at the stop sign to find out what's going on.. and yep.. didn't have much power until I was in 2nd gear. Didn't shake much. Seems like it gets worse when I drive it for a long period of time. Can't figure it out. When tires were put on.. they didn't balance and rotate. But I don't know if that's my problem, because it was there before I had that work done.

Advice? Steps on what to look at first and what to replace? Work my way up from the easiest to the more expensive/harder stuff?

Thanks
-Michelle
If you have a vibration thats noticed below 60mph it's your wheels, above 60mph it's your axels.
Go and have your tires balanced.

If they are not oem rims you may need hub centric rings also.

If they are new tires get an alignment too while you are there.

reg_lus

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Could be axle because when I had my Eg with a GS-R in it, my axle will always go out because it's too low and can cause it to shake.

Or it could be a bad tie rod. Lift up your car in the front and get a good grip on your wheel and rock it.
If it rock, could be a tie rod. Tie rod shouldn't have any play, mostly outer tie rod && cost about $15 at autozone.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could the transmission mount cause shaking? I heard it's about 20$ to replace, which isn't bad at all. Was thinking I was gonna have to dump more money into my car.
Yes.

Think about it. The motor twists when under power. The mounts dampen the vibration caused from this twisting action. If ANY of them are bad, there is going to be no dampening thus you are going to feel the vibration. The more that are broken the worse the vibration is going to get.

Replace the broken mounts.

MLC

Hey guys.. sorry for the delay. So, I took my car to the shop to have a professional take a look at it. Everything looked good, except my front right tire was very out of balance.. left tire is slightly bent. I think he meant the rim? Not sure. This must have happened when I wasn't paying attention and hit a dip pretty hard.

So it looks like I need an axle replacement in the front. The boots are broken and there's some shimmy (?) in the axles, apparently. The guy said it's gonna cost me around 290$ for axle replacement.. but I'm curious if this is a job that can be done at home? Not by me, of course. lol. Trying to save some money so I don't keep throwing money into my car for labor, etc; So, is there any type of brand I should be looking for? I did find a 92-00 axle replacement at Auto parts warehouse for $59.60. It's only the left, so I assume it'll range somewhere from $120.

Thanks!

vtac_ej6

that is something you can do at home. i would buy a new rim or at the very least move the back rim to tge rear.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Javier.San1993

I got my CV Axle and installed for $90. If you live in Southern California, PM me. (Ontario, Chino, Pomona, etc... that's the part of SoCal I'm talking about.)

Using Tapatalk/SGH-1897