Transmission leak?

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey guys I have a 99 civic ex coupe 5 speed and I put it on the ramps today and I checked the underside and I saw the bottom wet with some liquid which I don't know what it could be maybe a tranny leak? Any ideas?

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a picture but Idk how to put it on here since I'm such a noob

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That looks more like oil. More than likely your oil pan gasket is shot.

RonJ

Banned
Is the MTF in the transmission or the oil in the engine low?

Leaking fluid is pulled downward by gravity. Carefully inspect the engine and transmission surfaces to locate/trace the highest point on the transmission or engine where you find oil. Post pictures.

FYI -- MTF leaks most commonly come from the axle seals. Engine oil leaks commonly come from the oil pan, distributor, valve cover, or VTEC solenoid.

UNLV23

1st post. lol, but anyways seen something about axle seals. Does any one have a how to, on replacing? (98dx) Thanks!

RonJ

Banned
1st post. lol, but anyways seen something about axle seals. Does any one have a how to, on replacing? (98dx) Thanks!
1) Buy Honda axle seals (driver and passenger seals are different) and Honda MTF.
2) Drain MTF from transmission.
3) Remove axles.
4) Pry out old seals from differential.
5) Tap and press new seals in just until flush with outside of differential.
6) Refill transmission with MTF.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is the MTF in the transmission or the oil in the engine low?

Leaking fluid is pulled downward by gravity. Carefully inspect the engine and transmission surfaces to locate/trace the highest point on the transmission or engine where you find oil. Post pictures.

FYI -- MTF leaks most commonly come from the axle seals. Engine oil leaks commonly come from the oil pan, distributor, valve cover, or VTEC solenoid.

How do I check the MTF and the oil level is fine hasn't dropped since I bought it so it can't be an oil leak. Besides the color of the fluid is reddish. Ill post more pics of the leak.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

The first one is facing towards the back of the car and the 2nd is the one facing towards the right front wheel of the car. My dad is driving this car from San Antonio to Houston tomorrow which is a 4 hour rive would you recommend not to let him? Even if its seeping like this?

khmernese

you should clean it all off first. go drive it for 5 min and come back and inspect it. that'll help you find where its concentrating from

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Try to wipe off as much as you can, wherever you see oil. Then check on it daily to see where the leak starts from. My moneys on oil pan gasket but it could've been leaking for a while now and started somewhere else.

How does the oil pan look? Under the distributor? Around the edge of the valve cover on the block side?

Zedicous

Very possible its the pan but in the twenty years i've had my ex it's never happened. But i have fixed many leaks at the dist seal.

RonJ

Banned
How do I check the MTF and the oil level is fine hasn't dropped since I bought it so it can't be an oil leak. Besides the color of the fluid is reddish. Ill post more pics of the leak.
MTF is not reddish in color. Remove the MTF fill bolt and stick your finger in the hole to feel whether it is low.

But also don't discard the idea of an engine oil leak. If you can't distinguish whether the fluid is engine or transmission oil, add a leak detecting dye to the engine oil. If the leaking fluid contains the dye or does not, you know the source.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well my dad gets back from Houston tomorrow and ill update you guys on the vtec solenoid or the oil pan gasket, or valve cover gasket.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well my dad gets back from Houston tomorrow and ill update you guys on the vtec solenoid or the oil pan gasket, or valve cover gasket.
It could also be the distributor o-ring. I've replaced mine. There are plenty of gaskets that are known to have to be replaced at times. Which one it is can vary car to car. My oil pan gasket was solid as a rock at ~219k miles.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
One quick question if I can't find honda mtf what other one could I use like synchromesh?/

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Those are bad pictures... You need to look underneath the parts. Not above them lol. Gravity pulls stuff down, not up ;). Plus multiple angles help. 1 straight on shot doesn't do much.