Fog light wiring question

mkvldc4

can you hook up fog lights directly to head lights with out any problems?
i installed mine and thry caused a short and car wouldnt start now relay is blown!

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no you cannot install it to your headlights, that would cause and overload. thus what happen to your car. i have mine connnected to the battery and the fog lights has its own fuse.

RonJ

Banned
OP, in the future, please create a thread title that informs members about your tech question/problem.

mkvldc4

can i get a pic or diagram , when you mean fuse do you mean an inline fuse or the interior fuse box.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its a separate fuse and normally when you purchase the fog lights it comes with a diagram and the wiring along with the fuse.

mkvldc4

i rather not use the switch i want them on when i turn my headlights on with out the use of the relay or switch if possible.

THEDARKONE

Registered VIP
^^ are you realy that lazy??

this is what you can do conect it to the headlights over and over and keep buying relays

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wat else do u suggest?
Hooking them up correctly with their own fuse and relay. There is a reason that the headlights, turn signals, brake lights, etc are on THEIR OWN FUSES.

mkvldc4

Okay so I have everything hooked up once again according to the instruction from the manufacture. There's a 30a inline fuse from the battery to the relay and I have the switch wired to my parking lights.,the relay is 40amp 12v .now the problem,they turn on but soon after the wires start melting but lights remain on what's going on.?

mkvldc4

I did same thing happened second relay ive been through even tried a smaller in line fuse 15a.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
No need to bump a thread after 20 minutes. This is a forum, not instant messenger.

Also, as Ron stated, create an accurate title when you have a tech question. It will give other members a good idea of what you need help with, and will in turn result in your question being answered quicker.

RonJ

Banned
What exactly is melting? Does a fuse blow when things get hot? Post pictures.
Also post pictures showing how you wired up the lights.

What car do you have?

The stock fog lights are wired to the light switch and have an inline 15A fuse.

mkvldc4

i can't get the URL to post my picture of the harness my TV and tablet wont let me.I purchased a new relay an rewired harness with new wires and reinstalled everything according to the instructions at Spyderauto.com that's the manufacturer of my fogs.so the switch lights up, but I heard no click from relay, and the wires dint smoke or melt. so I bought another relay same thing.. is there a different method of wiring with out the relay .And its 95 eg6

RonJ

Banned
How can anybody help you if we don't know exactly how you wired the lights, switch, and relay? Provide detailed information. No one here is a mind reader.