99 Civic Ex Tranny or Electrical Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimfantasy

99 Honda Civic Ex. Automatic Transmission. I was going down the interstate when all of a sudden the car acted like it was in neutral. I wasn't far from home so I limped home. I would be able to go a few minutes then have to pull over and turn the key on and off and the car would go back to normal for another few minutes. I replaced the transmission fluid with Honda ATF. The fluid did look darker red/black but it didn't smell burnt. Also I did the OBD1 code with how you count the engine light blinks. It came up to 7 short blinks indicating it was the Throttle Positioning Sensor. We then ended up replacing it and calibrating it + resetting the ECU. We took it for a test drive and everything worked fine for a few minutes again. I even had it up to 90mph I turned around and headed back home when it happened again. The check engine light came on. It went into what seemed like neutral and then I pulled over turn the key off and on and It worked until I got home. Help please ? :???:

grimfantasy

Alright so I went through the OBD1 code again and figured out its actually 70 because it was 7 long blinks and 0 short blinks meaning Automatic transmission problem -.-

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright so I went through the OBD1 code again and figured out its actually 70 because it was 7 long blinks and 0 short blinks meaning Automatic transmission problem -.-
Answered your own question. Transmission is shot, man.

grimfantasy

So thats a for sure on the trashed transmission? I'll give it a ride tomorrow to see how it fairs. I checked the shift solenoid screens today and they were clean. Shitty thing is I wasn't even the one driving it that day when it s**t the bucket it was my brother. I'm am aware that he beat the living hell out of it. I was in the back seat when the transmission went. We just merged into a lane and got on it at about 60 when it just popped out of gear. He put it in neutral then put it in gear and it went again for awhile then we had to pull over turn the key on and off and it worked again until we got home. The main thing that made me think the transmission wasn't trashed was the fact that you could after it popped out of gear, pull over, turn the key on and off a few times, and then it would work normally for awhile so I figured it was something electrical.

Status
Not open for further replies.