Suspension Noise: What Needs Replacing?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For some time, my suspension makes noise when parked when I jump inside roughly or when I shake the car in different angles. Im pretty certain its the rubber ring at the upper strut mount because I cant imagine how the mount itself would go bad. Ive tried to locate the part online, but the descriptions dont seem clear on whether its the mount or the rubber ring or both. Ive come up with the part numbers listed below. Someone please clarify this for me or suggest exactly what the part I need is called.

KYB SM5538 (front)
KYB SM5516 (rear)

FYI, I have Tein S.Tech Springs & Koni STR.T Shocks.

emerican

Registered VIP
why are you certain thats what it is?
what all have you checked?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why are you certain thats what it is?
what all have you checked?
I say certain because I hear it from that area of the suspension. It doesnt sound like its from below that. I also suspect that because I noticed the car doesnt sit evenly from driver to passenger side so I assume its also in part from those "seats" being worn out.

On a side note, when I take hard turns, one side sounds like it rubs inside, but Im beginning to think its the mud guards rubbing on the pavement. That might be part of the audible issue at least. So ill be removing them this weekend and testing it out.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If anything I'd say those rubber bushings for the springs would be the last item to make the noise.

The noise could be the top mount bushings where the shaft of the shock goes though. Or it could be the shock itself that has internal damage and is causing noise. It could also be the spring itself. It could be something slightly different like a bad inner tie rod which I've personally heard squeaking/creaking noises come from. Could even be as stupid as the brake shield rubbing the rotor..

Just about all Civics I've seen on lowering springs sit uneven from left to right side. This is due to weight distribution of the car. Don't base it off of that.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If anything I'd say those rubber bushings for the springs would be the last item to make the noise.

The noise could be the top mount bushings where the shaft of the shock goes though. Or it could be the shock itself that has internal damage and is causing noise. It could also be the spring itself. It could be something slightly different like a bad inner tie rod which I've personally heard squeaking/creaking noises come from. Could even be as stupid as the brake shield rubbing the rotor..

Just about all Civics I've seen on lowering springs sit uneven from left to right side. This is due to weight distribution of the car. Don't base it off of that.
The top mount bushing is what I referred to. I couldnt recall its proper name. Im really leaning towards that being the culprit. Can anyone tell me roughly how long before those should usually be replaced?

Also, would worn tie rods make noise even when the car is parked and you rock it?

The shocks& springs are less than a year old and just fine, and I know the sound bad shocks make so its not that. My camber is also perfectly aligned, so I dont see an issue there. No warped brake shield either. Thats a different sound.