K20 Swap!!

SIRemy

How much am I looking at spending to swap in a k20? I found a k20 for $700 plus sh online but people tell me it costs boat loads of money! How much money am I looking at spending people??!!

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
At least 3k just to get it swapped correctly! Another 500 or more for a reliable tune! I would guestimate around 4,000 you'll have a full swap!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4 grand is one hell of a budgeted swap. It can be done, but its a lot of work done yourself and second hand parts. If you plan on getting it tuned, you can add 1000 for a tuning solution (aem, hondata) plus your tuners cost unless you so it yourself. Untuned, you can cut the cost a lot and run an immobilizer bypass. Your $700 price....does that include a transmission? If not, you can go ahead and at least double that price for a slow ep3/rsx base model transmission. A couple hundred for a clutch pressure plate and flywheel.

You can search for these necessary parts and get a rough estimate of expenses:

- TRANSMISSIOn
- ECU WITH IMMOBILIZER (or tuning solution)
- STOCK ENGINE HARNESS (should come with your swap)
- CHARGING HARNESS (or fan your own)
- MOTOR MOUNTS
- CONVERSION HARNESS (or do your own wiring)
- SWAP AXLES
- CLUTCH LINE
- K SWAP RADIATOR (fan stock radiator to work)
- RADIATOR HOSES (or fan your own)
- RADIATOR FAN
- RADIATOR BRACKET (or fan your own)
- COOLANT TEMP SENDER AND FAN SWITCH
- FUEL SYSTEM (RAIL, LINES, FILTER, REGULATOR)
- SHIFT BOX
- SHIFTER CABLES
- HEADER
- A/C-P/S DELETE or ep3 idler pulley setup
- OEM HONDA BRACKET #11910-PPA-000 (if using a k24}
- HEATER HOSES (if you keep heat)

SIRemy

Wow i didnt know so much was involved. It doesnt include the tranny just the motor. I think im gonna go with another swap haha thats too much for a 160hp k20. For all of that I migh as well go type r k20. I think tubro d16 is the route im going haha THANKS ALOT!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Classic thread. Love it!

... One thing I appreciate though is CHILD's response. I HATE searching for answers and only finding threads with other people's comments of "search" or "it's too much money" but no details. What's worse is then a Mod will come in and lock the thread, but not delete it. So it just becomes searchable trash, nothing more. Not specific to this thread, but if you're going to tell someone they're dumb.. At least explain why with facts to your argument... Then end it with "you're dumb"... LOL.. Props to CHILD for delivering more than useful information knowing the odds are 1/100 the OP would actually go through with it. :thumbs up

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Classic thread. Love it! ... One thing I appreciate though is CHILD's response. I HATE searching for answers and only finding threads with other people's comments of "search" or "it's too much money" but no details.
:thumbs up
Wow i didnt know so much was involved. It doesnt include the tranny just the motor. I think im gonna go with another swap haha thats too much for a 160hp k20. For all of that I migh as well go type r k20. I think tubro d16 is the route im going haha THANKS ALOT!
It is a very involved swap and 90% of people do opt for the higher output K series motors unless they want a large boost setup then they might use a cheap k24a4/a1 longblock. I don't discourage K swaps, but you do have to consider the bang for the buck before jumping into one

SIRemy

Thanks CHILD. Im gonna continue my research before jumping into projects like this. Im new to this so im learning day by day. You helped alot.