Fuel gauge not working

ne0tas

Hey guys, got a 99 civic ex 4 door auto and the fuel gauge doesn't work. The previous owners told us it was the fuel sender unit so I bought the part and replaced it at my previous school and it ended up still not working right so I went to a Honda Stealership and got it inspected and they came up with this conclusion..

THE # 25 FUSE AT HTE UNDERDASH FUSEBOX WAS FOUND TO BE OK..PER SERVICE MANUAL FLOW CHART REMOVED COVER FROM UNDERNEATH REAR SEAT, CHECKED FOR VOLTAGE AT PINS 1 AND 2 AT THE THREE-PIN CONNECTOR, AND THE VOLTAGE WAS FOUND TO BE OK..ALSO ATTACHED A JUMPER WIRE ACROSS PINS 1 AND 2 AND FOUND THE POINTER AT THE FUEL GAGE NOT TO MOVE..PER SERVICE MANUAL THE FUEL GAUGE HAS FAILED..REPAIRS WERE ADVISED.

They quoted me 250 bucks to replace the cluster which to me is a ripoff..Anyone know how I can fix it myself? My dads mechanic said to just go to the junk yard and rip one out from another Civic and replace it with mine (since he's too lazy to do it himself) should I do that? Or can I try and fix it another way? i don't have the money to spend at the stealership since i'm a fulltime student and all my money goes towards gas getting to/from school. Thanks guys

Trekk

Registered VIP
You can probably find a used cluster on eBay for cheap. They pop apart easy and the 3 gauge clusters inside come out. So you could swap the fuel gauge into your cluster, or move your speed-o to the other to keep the correct miles on the car and or add a tach. Takes 5-10 min to do.

ne0tas

Well im wondering if theres anythning i can do to fix it without using money, like maybe moving the needle or replacing some wires or something? I dont want to go into the dash blind without knowing what to do and stuff

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Like the dealership said, you need a fuel gauge. I don't know how you plan on getting one without spending money though.

Trekk

Registered VIP
They dont use wires on clusters, they use ribbons, and you arent going to fix one of those. So you pretty much have to buy a cluster, or get an after market fuel gauge and tap into the wires leading to the cluster. If you want to be real cheap, top off the tank, and every 150 miles or so, fill it up again.

ne0tas

Ive been doing that for a year and a half already, it gets kinda old not knowing how much i have. I guess ill look on Ebay and see if i can find something reasonable. I wish i had alldata to see how to remove/replace it safely. Thanks guys

Trekk

Registered VIP
Its not hard the bezel has 2 screws holding it in on the top, then you pull it out and remove the 4 holding the cluster in. Here is a picture anyways

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
Ive been doing that for a year and a half already, it gets kinda old not knowing how much i have. I guess ill look on Ebay and see if i can find something reasonable. I wish i had alldata to see how to remove/replace it safely. Thanks guys
In a year and a half if you saved .50 cents a day you could of had it replaced already. Hit up the junk yard i'm sure you'll find one with a cheap cluster

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hit up a junk yard and bargain with them. Should be able to get one for $20 or so if ur good at haggling...