K20 swap info 96 dx coupe

Chris'

Curious on what is needed for the swap. Parts, wiring, mounts, ect.. Any recommendations would be a big help thanks guys

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Engine, transmission, ecu w/immobilizer bypass or kpro/aem ems, wiring harness, conversion harness, axles, swap mounts, shifter mechanism, shifter cables, swap header, modified fuel setup, modified radiator and hoses, b series temp and fan switches.

Id recommend hybrid-racing.com because i basically own everything they offer.

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Might be useful to use the eg/dc subframe with the ek as well.

Leaves more room in the bay and much better angles for the axles.

Chris'

Any downside to sub Frame swap^^^.

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Any downside to sub Frame swap^^^.
There's limited room in the bay cause the motor sits so far forward. You can't run a larger intake manifold or larger radiator.

Like I said, the axles as well.. different angles. They don't tend the hold up as well with the ek subframe.

IMO, if you have the money for a k-swap.. you can do the subframe swap too. It's worth it IMHO.

Goodluck :D

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
With that subframe mentality you would end up upgrading tons of parts. Although beneficial, its not necessary for a plain swap.

If you do switch subframes, then you need eg/dc lca's, you may need a different U joint for the steering column depending on what subframe you start with and switch to.

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
With that subframe mentality you would end up upgrading tons of parts. Although beneficial, its not necessary for a plain swap.

If you do switch subframes, then you need eg/dc lca's, you may need a different U joint for the steering column depending on what subframe you start with and switch to.
It's not necessary but it''s worth it IMO

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Are you not swapping out your subframe?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you not swapping out your subframe?
I am, but that's just so i can stay low and to cover my future power plans with the k24. The higher torque output along with my performance plans will be hard on the axles with ekk1's. Otherwise I would have been saving a lot of time and money with leaving the stock subframe in place. A plain k20 is just fine with ekk1's. Think about all the years that k's have been around prior to the subframe and mounts upgrade. It never was aproblem, it's just better now....and more expensive.

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am, but that's just so i can stay low and to cover my future power plans with the k24. The higher torque output along with my performance plans will be hard on the axles with ekk1's. Otherwise I would have been saving a lot of time and money with leaving the stock subframe in place. A plain k20 is just fine with ekk1's. Think about all the years that k's have been around prior to the subframe and mounts upgrade. It never was aproblem, it's just better now....and more expensive.
Yeah I hear what your saying..

IMO I would still swap it out either way but I know what you mean. Defiantly more cheaper as well.

What axles would you go with though? Keeping the stock ek subframe with ekk1 mounts.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
An OEM combo. Base rsx with swapped inners. Stock ones are pretty durable and much cheaper to replace if that's ever needed. Some people are thrifty and use the warranty autozone base rsx axles so they can replace them with no issues

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hmm autozone warranties they're axles? That's a thought too.

Wouldn't ep3 axles work as well?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ep3 and base rsx are basically three same, so yes. Price changes between the two sometimes, so it's best to check the local pricing on each. Some places treat the ep3 like a "sports car" and raise prices

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ep3 and base rsx are basically three same, so yes. Price changes between the two sometimes, so it's best to check the local pricing on each. Some places treat the ep3 like a "sports car" and raise prices
Lol I have noticed that..

Thanks for the useful information though.