Blown Head Gasket!!!

KyTom

i have a 00 Civic Si
would it be recommended to replace the head gasket on my own or get a shop to do it?
i bought a manual to maybe start repair on my engine but i dont really have a garage to do all the repairs.
how much would/should all the parts be to repair the engine

CO671

Registered VIP
When I first got my Civic 2 years ago as a 16 year old who didn't know much about cars, I threw out $3,000 and got it anyways.
1 week later, the headgasket and overheating started showing and I didn't have the cash or wanted to ask my parents so knowing nothing other than changing motor oil and coolant, I did research and in changed the headgasket myself.

I can't recall the overall price but you'll need essential tools:
Socket and wrench set (I got a $75 Craftsman set from Kmart)
Torque Wrench ($40)
Breaker Bar ($20)
Haynes Manual ($20)
Gasket set (headgasket, intake manifold gasket, exhaust manifold gasket) ~$100 around
Oil, filter, Coolant, etc; $100
Already had a jack and stands
Rough estimate of tools (that will always be used in other occasions) and parts: $400
Basically around $200 in parts

Align motor to TDC
Drained the oil, coolant, removed the manifolds off the head.
(put headbolts in certain order so you know which thread they came out of)
Using the correct cross pattern to remove the headbolts
Removed head, cleaned it thoroughly, took it to a machine shop that leveled/resurfaced it for $40 overnight.
Rough estimate of labor: $40

Put everything back together re-using the headbolts in the correct order w/ torque wrench, (DONT FORGET THE DOWEL PINS)
Coolant, oil put in, fired it up.

I'm pretty sure that's all that was necessary I mentioned, apologies if there's any misinformation.
The shop costs alone are averaged $600-$900 for a headgasket change.

There are many Headgasket DIY tutorials on Honda-Tech, ClubCivic, all over the internet so Google would be a great companion, check them out.

KyTom

i have majority of the tools to do this myself and just the head gasket so far.
how long did it take for you to do all of this?
cause i live in an apt area and dont really have a shop or place to do all of this.
dont really wanna leave stuff out over night

i went through alot of tutorials and forums from google kinda actually how i came to be on this site.

CO671

Registered VIP
Well I was still going to school at the time and it always rained (did it on my front lawn)
It took me about a week but in total man hours about 20 since i didnt know what i was doing at the time.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
It would be hard to get it done in a day since I would recommend taking it to a machine shop and having the head checked out while you have it off. You could get it pulled one day, clean up all your stuff, and start again the day you get the head back.

Cost will be a couple hundred for a valve job/deck the head, plus a couple hundred more for head gasket set, head bolts and fluids.

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would advise replacing your water pump and timing belt while you have it all apart, if it hasn't been mentioned already