Chris is back.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'm talking about where exactly on the fender the side marker will be cut. Not the shape of the side marker. I found a link anyway, so if I decide to get them I have all the info I need...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Word.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know a little more expensive, but why not get the pre-stamped fenders? no issues with placement, and don't have to cut into your perfectly good fenders. Although would likely then have to get the new ones painted. Ok, even more expensive than when I started typing this.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Worse comes to worse, take both off, put them side to side (longways) and do equal measurements right then and there.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I know a little more expensive, but why not get the pre-stamped fenders? no issues with placement, and don't have to cut into your perfectly good fenders. Although would likely then have to get the new ones painted. Ok, even more expensive than when I started typing this.
Eh, I'm pretty confident I can do the cut correctly. I have a dremel with about 20 different bits...I've used my dremel many different times on all sorts of things.

Worse comes to worse, take both off, put them side to side (longways) and do equal measurements right then and there.
I just printed a template =)

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, I just saw you revived that old thread. Good luck with the cutting, you're a braver man than I (and my car needs a repaint, no less)

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Alright guys, I told you I was confident I was going to do this correctly. Face it, cutting fenders is a BIG deal. Mess up and you're f*cked. So what did it do? Check it out...

First I got a piece of paper and measured a bunch of square inch lines even with the paper so I can have the side marker sit even.

I then cut out the template I printed last night, and traced it on the piece of paper. Then I cut the side marker shape out of the paper.

Done! Absolutely perfect.

So how did I know where to place the side marker on the fender? EASY.

I have owned a hatchback which had OEM Civic Type-R fenders which I then had painted to match my car. I took some measurements from my computer screen and then drew them up on the paper.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
*****I will be going on all DIY side marker threads and posting my correct numbers I came up with. The other DIY threads have incorrect numbers when it comes to where to mount the side marker on the fender. These measurements are to install your side markers in the SAME EXACT location as on OEM Civic Type-R fenders.*****

Well, I used to own a 98 CX Hatchback and I purchased OEM Civic Type-R fenders for the car. I had them painted and put them on along with OEM side markers from a Type-R.

DSC_0155 by chris.sabatini, on Flickr

I made my OWN template today. Here's what I did.

First, I took a 8.5 x 11 sheet of printer paper and drew a bunch of square inch lines so I knew the side marker would sit even and not crooked. I then lined the paper up with the edge of the fender trim and taped it to the fender.

I trimmed the top edge of the paper to go with the OEM body line on the fender.

I then, printed out a template I found online.

The tape measure is there to show you the template is 100% scale and accurate.

After I printed out the template, I cut it out of the paper, and traced the side marker shape onto the 8.5 x 11 piece of paper. I then cut out the shape of the side marker on the 8.5 x 11 paper as seen here.

Here it is mocked up on my 2000 Si. If you look at the above picture of the red hatchback with the OEM Civic Type-R fenders, you can see they are both in the same exact place.

Here are the REAL measurements to have your side marker in the SAME EXACT spot as on the OEM Civic Type-R fender.

So the middle of the side marker is a little more than 130mm from the top edge of the fender trim, and about 145mm from the edge of the fender.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'm really proud of myself for making this template like I did. I think once I am done fully installing the side markers I will do a complete write-up on club civic, honda-tech, and maybe NWP too. Do you guys think I should? This is the best template/location for EK9 side markers I have ever seen LOL.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Great to hear man, I will be definitely doing one then. I ordered the side markers last night so they should be here in a few days. Once they come in I will write up a DIY. Glad to see I have support of a moderator :thumbup:

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Great work man. I wish this DIY was around when I did my side markers. They are too high and it bugs me every time I look at my car haha

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I know how you feel man. When I had that red EK hatch, I originally cut the fenders for side markers and it was pretty far off. It always bothered me and that's the reason I ended up buying the OEM CTR fenders. Best decision I made back then. This time around though, it'll be done right the first time!

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have owned a hatchback which had OEM Civic Type-R fenders which I then had painted to match my car. I took some measurements from my computer screen and then drew them up on the paper.
Nice dude! how did you scale your picture to 1:1?

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Dominick.

Nice dude! how did you scale your picture to 1:1?
Well it might sound weird, but I zoomed in on the picture a little bit and just measured the distance from the side marker to the top of the fender trim and then from the side marker to the body line on the fender. When I measured, I then discovered the side marker is pretty much (a few mm's off) halfway in between the fender trim and the body line.

From that point it was pretty easy to measure the real life distance between the fender trim and the body line and pick a center point...the square inch lines I drew on the paper made it easier.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Picking up right where I left off yesterday....taped up the template on the car and put some painters tape where I will cut so it's cleaner.

Traced out the shape onto the tape.

Time for some cutting!!!

Weapon of choice.

All done! I don't think it could have came out any nicer....

I also got the wiring done today. I ran the wires on the passenger side through the frame so there would be no chance of them rubbing on anything.

On the drivers side, I just zip tied the wires right to the hood release cable.

Now I just have to wait for the side markers to arrive LOL

Also, because my intake will be here tomorrow I removed the factory intake so I don't have to do it tomorrow and can just throw the new one right in.

The passenger side roof molding had a broken clip at the rear and it was sticking up and looked retarded, so I ordered a new one from Honda a few days ago. I removed the one that was on there, still need to clean up the rail before I install the new one.