twin turbo with stock internals?

tjcharm

hey guys i have a 2003 honda civic lx 4dr with a d17a1(stock) engine and i was thinking about making a custom manifold set up for twin turbos and running each of them on a low psi for a combined 8 or 9 psi hoping to gain boost with a very quick spool. since this is low boost it shouldnt hurt the engine on this psi right? and yes im swapping the intake manifold to hold the pressure. and later on i plan on raising boost pressure after doing some internal engine uprgrades. i plan on using godspeed .63AR turbos. does this setup sound realistic or like a waste of time? and is this setup even posible without engine internal upgrades?

tjcharm

i forgot to mention its a auto tranny... sadly.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Idk too much about turbos so can't help you there, but does sound like a bit too much power for stock internals.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I think you're better off going with a single turbo setup.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^That

The fact you are looking to do this on a 01-05 will be another problem as I have come to know they are not mod friendly... especially the auto trans.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The engine might handle it but the transmission won't.

tjcharm

thanks guys. really changed my perspective. were could i purchase a manual trans? would a junkyard manual be safe if the front end looked fine? and what would i need to do the swap?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
It wont spool quick, you will have divided with amount of exhaust gas in two just to spool one turbo. Not to mention the piping nightmare and wastegate placement/ boost control.

Any turbo small enough for it to work correctly would probably overspin and you'll get compressor surge and probably destroy them. Not to mention they would have to be turbos off a snowmobile or chainsaw to work the way you are wanting to.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it will be much easier to do a single properly sized turbo. what kind of setup were you thinking: true twins, parallel ,sequential or compound?

sequential is where at a certain psi for the first smaller turbo the wastegate opens and feeds the bigger turbo. compound is where all exhaust gases go to one turbo to spool it up then you feed the compressed air from the first turbo to the intake of the second turbo. finally, parallel turbo's split the work of feeding the motor, which means half the exhaust goes to each turbo and they both are the same size turbos pushing the same psi into the manifold.

if i had the money i personally would go with sequential because you can use a really small turbo for the lower rpm range and a bigger turbo for higher rpm and more power. say you want to run 10 psi, you can use 5 psi spring in the wastegate for the small turbo and once you hit that psi it opens and feeds the larger turbo.

will this be easy no, will it be expensive yes because you need two wastegates,two turbos, two oil feed lines and two oil drain lines.another thing is i think your only option for tuning that em2 is hondata which is expensive as hell.

a junkyard manual trans will work but you have no way of knowing if its good or not unless you know how to take a tranny apart and check the internals or if you can drive the car before you buy the tranny. you will need the clutch master and slave plus the clutch pedal assembly

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
It wont spool quick, you will have divided with amount of exhaust gas in two just to spool one turbo. Not to mention the piping nightmare and wastegate placement/ boost control.

Any turbo small enough for it to work correctly would probably overspin and you'll get compressor surge and probably destroy them. Not to mention they would have to be turbos off a snowmobile or chainsaw to work the way you are wanting to.
OT, but do they make chainsaws with turbo's???! That's sweet!

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
What are your power goals and your purpose for the car? That should play the biggest factor in your plan of action with this build

tjcharm

sequential is what i was planning on. i know it will be a complicated challenge. but thats the point. i want it to be a lot of hard custom work to power this car down the road a little better. with a better sound. and really i just want some more power to run it around a track. a race track with more than a few different turns. my only other factor that's stopping me is that im thinking i might as well do a k20 swap with a small/medium turbocharger. what do you guys think. should be much easier to find turbo parts and accesories right?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
sequential is what i was planning on. i know it will be a complicated challenge. but thats the point. i want it to be a lot of hard custom work to power this car down the road a little better. with a better sound. and really i just want some more power to run it around a track. a race track with more than a few different turns. my only other factor that's stopping me is that im thinking i might as well do a k20 swap with a small/medium turbocharger. what do you guys think. should be much easier to find turbo parts and accesories right?
s**t a decent k swap will have more power then a stock internal d series can handle

tjcharm

haha thats what i was thinking. how much on cost? not cheap parts but i just want to get some lower end parts at first then slowly build it up with better parts once its already in the car. ill buy top line internals from the start though of i do choose to do a swap.

CivEX_00

5+ Year Member
hey guys i have a 2003 honda civic lx 4dr with a d17a1(stock) engine and i was thinking about making a custom manifold set up for twin turbos and running each of them on a low psi for a combined 8 or 9 psi hoping to gain boost with a very quick spool. since this is low boost it shouldnt hurt the engine on this psi right? and yes im swapping the intake manifold to hold the pressure. and later on i plan on raising boost pressure after doing some internal engine uprgrades. i plan on using godspeed .63AR turbos. does this setup sound realistic or like a waste of time? and is this setup even posible without engine internal upgrades?
.63AR is gonna be big plus you have 2 and half the exhaust/heat to spool them. But yes the engine should be fine.