Ex & Si OEM exhaust?

95jdmej1

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you knew, for a fact, if the OEM exhaust for a 99-00 Ex coupe and a 99-00 SI coupe are interchangeable, or are they the exact same? I have read various places that all (oem and aftermarket) catbacks are interchangeable for all 92-00 Civic coupes. I have read that the OEM exhaust for the 99-00 SI is different than the OEM 99-00 Ex, AND, have also read they are the exact same.

Can anyone shine some light on this? My stock exhaust has rust spots and holes in it, and a local guy is selling a low mileage good condition exhaust that he says is from a 99-00 SI. I just want to know, for a fact, if the SI exhaust is different in any way from the Ex exhaust.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any 92-00 coupe sedan, except for 96-00 HX/CX/LX/DX (non-v) should be interchangeable.

Look up honda part numbers to confirm if they are the exact though.

95jdmej1

I haven't a clue where to find oem part #'s, plus I'm a little weary that over the past 13 years Honda might have just said "screw it" and generalized them together (IF they were originally different).

I'm 99% sure the 99/00 Ex and Si exhaust's are interchangeable, I'm just trying to find out, from someone who knows for a 100% fact, if the B-pipe's are different (larger diameter, different resonator etc...) and/or if the mufflers are different, or if they are the exact same. I have read that the 99/00 Si Em1 OEM exhaust has slightly larger piping and slightly better flowing muffler than the 99/00 Ex Ej8, and have read they are the same. I just want to be 100% sure.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They are the exact same, the only difference was the Si came with a tip on the muffler.

CO671

Registered VIP
Only difference is the tip, it bolts right up to the manifold.
However, the manifolds are different because they're different series engines' so just know that.

95jdmej1

So all the thread's I've read saying that the Si/Em1 piping/muffler are bigger were wrong?
Does the b16 and different manifold make it sound "sportier" than the d16 then? All the videos I've heard make the Si seem a tiny bit louder and sportier while the Ex is dead quiet.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
SI and EX EJ8 exhausts are the same. As others have said, there's a tip on the muffler that gives the SI exhaust a "sportier" sound. Once again, the SI has a B16 in it, which is a B-series motor, so the manifolds are different. From the manifold back, they are near identical (I want to say the resonator in the Si exhaust is a tiny bit less restrictive, but not enough to make any sort of difference).

95jdmej1

So you are saying the the little add-on tip is what makes it sound different? I never thought a "tip" would make a difference in sound. Does anybody know 100% the inside diameter of the 99-00 OEM exhaust?

SI and EX EJ8 exhausts are the same. As others have said, there's a tip on the muffler that gives the SI exhaust a "sportier" sound. Once again, the SI has a B16 in it, which is a B-series motor, so the manifolds are different. From the manifold back, they are near identical (I want to say the resonator in the Si exhaust is a tiny bit less restrictive, but not enough to make any sort of difference).
This is why I am unsure. Some people say they are the exact same (same size pipe, same resonator, same muffler - just an add on tip), some say they are completely different (different size pipe, different resonator, different muffler), some say they are the same but have a different resonator or different muffler...

http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/4417610.gif

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13s0201_b02.png

From what I have gathered the top pic is the EX exhaust and the bottom half of the bottom pic is the SI exhaust (top half being lx/dx?)...OR...the top pic is 96-98 EX and the bottom half of the bottom pic is BOTH Ex AND Si in 99-00 ?

Are the 99/00 EX and SI exhaust different? Or is it that the 96-98 Ex is different from the 99/00 EX AND SI? I KNOW the exhaust manifold (on the EX) changed between 98 and 99 but did the entire catback change?

Last edited by a moderator:

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

The top half is the DX/LX. The bottom half is the EX/Si.

What are you actually trying to do? All 96-00 EX/Si exhausts are the same as stated many times above.

95jdmej1

The top half is the DX/LX. The bottom half is the EX/Si.

What are you actually trying to do? All 96-00 EX/Si exhausts are the same as stated many times above.
Did you see post #10 right above yours, and now right below this one? I posted that same picture, and another. Either http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/4417610.gif is the 96-00 EX and the pic you posted is the 99-00 SI, or this above photo is 96-98 EX and the one you posted is 99-00 EX AND SI.

http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/4417610.gif

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13s0201_b02.png

From what I have gathered the top pic is the EX exhaust and the bottom half of the bottom pic is the SI exhaust (top half being lx/dx?)...OR...the top pic is 96-98 EX and the bottom half of the bottom pic is BOTH Ex AND Si in 99-00 ?

Are the 99/00 EX and SI exhaust different? Or is it that the 96-98 Ex is different from the 99/00 EX AND SI? I KNOW the exhaust manifold (on the EX) changed between 98 and 99 but did the entire catback change?
Which is it? Is the first pic ALL EX and the bottom of the second pic 99-00 SI (top half lx/dx etc)? Or is the top pic 96-98 EX and the bottom pic BOTH 99/00 EX AND SI?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
If we knew what you were trying to do, we could probably point you in a much better direction as to what youre trying to get at.

95jdmej1

If we knew what you were trying to do, we could probably point you in a much better direction as to what youre trying to get at.
I am trying to figure out, for a 100% fact, if the 99/00 SI oem exhaust (catback) is different from the 99/00 Ex oem exhaust. I have read numerous threads stating they are different, and numerous threads stating they are the same.

I have seen that this : http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/4417610.gif : is for all 96-00 Ex
and that this (bottom half) : http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13s0201_b02.png : is for 99/00 Si.
But also seen that the first pic is 96-98 EX and the bottom half of the second pic is for BOTH the 99/00 Ex AND the 99/00 Si. I'm just trying to figure out which scenario is correct.

I am trying to replace an old rusty catback on a 99 SI, with a new OEM (99-00 EM1 SI) Honda catback, but keep reading conflicting info, and seeing conflicting diagrams/pictures. Some stating the 99-00 EX and SI have different size piping, different resonator, different muffler. Some stating they are the "same" but with different resonator, or they are the "same" with a different muffler. Some stating they are 100% the exact same.

1.) http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/4417610.gif
2.) http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13s0201_b02.png

-Some saying the picture in link 1 (directly above this sentence) is every 96-00 EX.
-Some saying the (bottom half of the) picture in link 2 (above) is 99-00 SI. (top half being lx/dx)
-Some saying the picture in link 1 is just 96-98 EX, while the (bottom half of the) picture in link 2 is BOTH the 00-00 Ex AND Si (meaning the EX changed exhaust when going from 98 model to 99 model, like I KNOW the exhaust manifolds did).

Also just came across a thread where a (supposedly trusted veteran) member of a big Honda forum posted:

> Crap.. I just compared the part numbers for all piping plus muffler and no part number for the piping or muffler matches up between the EX coupe and Si coupe.

I just closed that window too.

Here's a comparision of part numbers of piping anf muffler.

PIPE A, EX.
96-98 EX - 18210-S01-A81
99-00 EX - 18210-S01-A72
99-00 Si - 18210-S04-A91

CONVERTER
96-98 EX - 18160-P2R-A00 (5MT) / 18160-P2R-A50 (4AT)
99-00 EX - 18160-P2P-A00
99-00 Si - 18160-P2P-A00

PIPE B, EX.
96-98 EX - 18220-S01-C81
99-00 EX - 18220-S01-A81
99-00 Si - 18220-S04-A92

MUFFLER SET, EX.
96-98 EX - 18030-S01-C80 / 18030-S01-C81
99-00 EX - 18030-S01-C81
99-00 Si - 18030-S04-C90 <

So, even though most online suppliers provide the same part and part number for all 3 vehicles (96-98 EX, 99-00 EX and 99-00 SI), they apparently came with different parts/part numbers from factory, other than the catalytic converter. So I guess I was right that they were different B-pipes and muffler sections, and that most places offer the same part for all of them even though they didn't have the same parts leaving the factory. Now to just find the legit OEM EM1 SI parts, instead of the Ej8 EX parts most people are selling as EM1 SI parts.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sometimes part numbers change over the years. If Honda changes a supplier or something like that, the part number can change even though it's the exact same part. There is no difference between a 96-98 and 99-00 EX exhaust regardless of the part number. I've seen a couple of posts mentioning a larger diameter exhaust for the Si but nothing conclusive so I'm not convinced. Call your local dealership.

95jdmej1

Sometimes part numbers change over the years. If Honda changes a supplier or something like that, the part number can change even though it's the exact same part. There is no difference between a 96-98 and 99-00 EX exhaust regardless of the part number. I've seen a couple of posts mentioning a larger diameter exhaust for the Si but nothing conclusive so I'm not convinced. Call your local dealership.
Then how come I've seen diagrams showing that they physically look different? Are you going to tell me the 96-98 and 99/00 EX have the same exhaust manifold and a-pipe too?

Apparently the only thing that is the same between 96-98 Ex, 99/00 Ex and 99/00 Si are the catalytic converters. The exhaust manifold, a-pipe, b-pipe and muffler section are all different.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can't go off the diagrams. In no way are they EVER accurate depictions. They are a reference only. You do realize you would have saved yourself all this time if you would have just called a dealership.

95jdmej1

You can't go off the diagrams. In no way are they EVER accurate depictions. They are a reference only. You do realize you would have saved yourself all this time if you would have just called a dealership.
I did call the local Honda dealership and it was a waste of time. They gave me the part number for an Ex instead of the Si. Do you guys just read the title and post stuff (seems like it), or do you thoroughly read each individual post, comprehend said post's, and then post stuff? (doubt it)

I provided the diagram and part numbers for the 96-98 EX, and the diagrams and part numbers for the 99/00 Ex and the 99/00 Si. All which are different.

From my research they all have different exhaust manifolds, different a-pipes, different b-pipes and different muffler sections. The only thing they share are catalytic converters, oh and the (optional on EX and standard on Si) chrome tip.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like you answered your own question.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good luck finding a solution to this complicated, non-existent problem. If you find out the difference between "legit Si parts", please tell me. I'll be waiting. :popcorn:

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I did call the local Honda dealership and it was a waste of time. They gave me the part number for an Ex instead of the Si. Do you guys just read the title and post stuff (seems like it), or do you thoroughly read each individual post, comprehend said post's, and then post stuff? (doubt it)

I provided the diagram and part numbers for the 96-98 EX, and the diagrams and part numbers for the 99/00 Ex and the 99/00 Si. All which are different.

From my research they all have different exhaust manifolds, different a-pipes, different b-pipes and different muffler sections. The only thing they share are catalytic converters, oh and the (optional on EX and standard on Si) chrome tip.
If you're going to come in here and flame people like that, you'll get no help. We've told you the answer to your question over and over again. The bottom diagram you had originally posted shows an SI exhaust setup. The difference is the stupid tip on the end of the exhaust. They are the same otherwise. Now, stop being ignorant, and understand you've found your answer, or go ask another board for reference.