Idle problem, think its electrical related.

DavidR

5+ Year Member
This is probably talked about a lot in this forum but didn't find a related thread plus folks tend to not give any input on an older thread. I've been through 4 civics 6th gen models only and have had this annoying issue when ever im fully stopped like at a red light the idle will rise and fall, rise and fall not to mention the annoying bogging chatter sound that makes me want to drive the car off a bridge, coming from the front end when the rpms fall. This only happens when I have my foot on the brake and seems to be worse when I have my head lights on in addition to having my foot on the brake. If I cut the lights and use the e brake rather than hold the brake peddle down it idles fine so most likely its electrical. If I roll my window up rpms drop and the engine bogs down even windshield wipers working it causes it to bog down. What components can be causing this. This is my first time getting into electrical so I don't know where or what to start looking at but Im at the point where I need to get this sh*t resolved because it's driving me mad, I don't want to take it to a shop either, I'd like to fix the problem my self to learn and sense of joy after a job well done.

Last edited by a moderator:

RonJ

Banned
Clean the IACV and test or have the alternator tested.

DavidR

5+ Year Member
I cleaned it during the first few weeks after I bought it a couple months back at which the idle was still acting up prior to cleaning it, as for the alternator is there any maintenance besides changing belts that's derectlly related to the alternator like brushes? can I test it using a multimeter or do I need some special device?

RonJ

Banned
can I test it using a multimeter?
Yes

With the engine warm and idling normally with all accessories off, measure voltage across the 2 battery posts.

Next, turn the headlights to brights and again measure the voltage. You may need to press on the throttle pedal to keep the idle speed steady.

Post the two voltage readings.

MJcivicEJ8

Having the same problem here with my 2000 ex sedan. Plus, at cold start (overnight) the car will die on me unless I step on the gas pedal and rev it up till its warm. Me and my buddy with the help of a mechanic has been trying to figure out the problem. We start out by checking for vacuum leak. Turns out its coming from the injectors so we replaced all the o-ring gaskets. Problem still not fixed. Replaced the IACV. Results still the same. Now, just earlier, we discovered that by disconnecting the TPS, the car would idle smoothly. Need some serious help here before I start replacing more stuff with the same end result... =(

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
up until the part about the window, I was also thinking vacuum leak. Is the car at idle within spec? Possible that with too low idle, the alternator isn't working as efficiently. Or, maybe a weak ground? I'm curious as to what you find

MJcivicEJ8

UPDATE: Turns out my number 4 cyl compression is wayyy low. Only in the 90s. Im gonna need a slight rebuild but I guess ill just slap a b20 in it instead... gluck with yours DavidR. Have yours checked out too..

DavidR

5+ Year Member
up until the part about the window, I was also thinking vacuum leak. Is the car at idle within spec? Possible that with too low idle, the alternator isn't working as efficiently. Or, maybe a weak ground? I'm curious as to what you find
I actually have to go back and check my idle speed because the last time I adjusted the screw turned out that I had a vaccum leak from a torn cap when the previous owner deleted the cruise control. Found the vacuum leak a couple weeks later after installing another cruise control unit (like the Idea of having it) just forgot to go back and adjust the idle speed. As for testing the alternator I have to wait till I get back, I've been out for the holidays.