95 civic turbo questions

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This sight should be full of mechanics..not someone who would tell me to get a different car.
I guess I will be doing I thread on the rebuild of this so called " headache" . last time I checked people who work on cars like to help people fix what they have.
If you were someone who actually had a clue, then yes, I'm sure you would get lots of help.
Fact of the matter is, you bought something you have 0 idea about, or even where to start.
You didn't research prior to buying, now you're going to throw money at it to attempt to get it to run correctly.
Over the past 17 yrs, I've seen how this goes, betting within a year, this ends up like so many other turbo Honda "projects".
Either parted out, sold as a whole, or left to sit for eternity because previous owners who ""thought" they knew what they were doing by slapping on a turbo with some cheap parts was going to make their honDuh fast without actually knowing what they were doing.

I was almost beating a brand EVO x with him having a intake and stock turbo.
I'll chalk that up to that Evo driver "playing" with you or that driver not knowing how to drive.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So no other suggestions except bashing on a car I bought this way?
Like I said yeah it has cheap parts.. But some not like the stage 2 clutch, ecu,.swapped engine. Its a good start to what I want.
I'll spend the extra money to get it right.
I want to stay Honda for all the Honda haters out there, its still great when I blow past people with my "cheap Japanese parts".
Just would like to make it faster, build up the engine and make it more reliable.
Yes I probably lifted the head without the ARP head studs.. Will turn boost back down to 10. Considering the tune.
And yes it was a Mexican guy. I bought his headache.
This sight should be full of mechanics..not someone who would tell me to get a different car.
What Honda comes with a stock turbo? Besides the new type r.. Your on a civic forum. I Dont want a car with a stock turbo.. If I did I would have gotten the Audi 2.7 bi turbo . those engines are like glass.
I have a nice shell if anything and a good d16z6 to work with non the less.
I guess I will be doing I thread on the rebuild of this so called " headache" . last time I checked people who work on cars like to help people fix what they have.
So I came to a civic forum and get told to buy a different car. Hm
Honestly, you shouldn't be driving the car past babying it until you're 100% SURE you have it properly tuned. I know you want to drive it, but if you REALLY want to built it right and get rid of the headaches, hold off until you get the issues resolved. If you warped the HG from having the boost too high, turning it down won't fix it. You'll need to replace it (get a Fel-pro head gasket).

Also, this site is NOT full of licensed mechanics, this site is full of VOLUNTEERS. Mechanics get paid. ;)

evan.larose1

If you were someone who actually had a clue, then yes, I'm sure you would get lots of help.
Fact of the matter is, you bought something you have 0 idea about, or even where to start.
You didn't research prior to buying, now you're going to throw money at it to attempt to get it to run correctly.
Over the past 17 yrs, I've seen how this goes, betting within a year, this ends up like so many other turbo Honda "projects".
Either parted out, sold as a whole, or left to sit for eternity because previous owners who ""thought" they knew what they were doing by slapping on a turbo with some cheap parts was going to make their honDuh fast without actually knowing what they were doing.

I'll chalk that up to that Evo driver "playing" with you or that driver not knowing how to drive.
Lol OK I'm not a person who has 0 knowledge about cars. I've been working with cars in and out of shops my whole life. My dream was to have a turbo car. I have had s/c in my buick park ave. I live in motor city that's all we do around here. 17 years of bad info you must have given people. And I'll take a video of me and the evo racing. I will bring him here to second that you can see on our Facebook. It was from a 2nd gear pull ..

Do you even own a Honda ? Im not a woman and yea I will be throwing money at it that's why I bought the car.
Came to this sight looking for help on new part suggestions and a build help. You are making this sight look bad. All these other people have been helpful. You are clearly not the person to help. Good day sir . I will be throwing money away ;)

uploadfromtaptalk1430412092490.jpg . Hahaha this guy thinks its crazyvfor a Honda to keep up with a EVO. Why are you on the civic forum buddy if you Dont support HONDA! Not however you spelled it.

Excuse my punctuation

How do I post videos on here I can't wait Smh. Lol

Honestly, you shouldn't be driving the car past babying it until you're 100% SURE you have it properly tuned. I know you want to drive it, but if you REALLY want to built it right and get rid of the headaches, hold off until you get the issues resolved. If you warped the HG from having the boost too high, turning it down won't fix it. You'll need to replace it (get a Fel-pro head gasket).

Also, this site is NOT full of licensed mechanics, this site is full of VOLUNTEERS. Mechanics get paid. ;)
Thank you bro well it does not overheat all the time.
I just took it out for a spin it didn't get hot. Only if I boost around 9 bringing it up to around 6 k for pulls 3-4 k for normal driving where I barely hit boost.
I Dont beat up on it I just drive it to work and back and put it in the garage.
Then wait for all my friends to bug me at the end of the week to go down and burn it up , but every since the last time I've been babying it.
In all honesty I knew I would get flamed for the parts on this car. Hence why I came for help on a build.
Eh I'm happy I can beat that red one in the pic he's n/a with built up pistons 98 ex d16y8. I got the car so me and him could tear the streets up and piss people off. Honda power✊

uploadfromtaptalk1430412908519.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can beat that red one in the pic he's n/a with built up pistons 98 ex d16y8.
What are "built up" pistons?

Why are you on the civic forum buddy if you Dont support HONDA!

There is a difference between supporting and being realistic.

I've been working with cars in and out of shops my whole life.
I have had s/c in my buick park ave.
All 18 yrs eh?
The Buick prob came stock with the S/C, I doubt it was an add on you did.

Came to this sight looking for help on new part suggestions and a build help. You are making this sight look bad.
The word, is site.

I got the car so me and him could tear the streets up and piss people off. Honda power✊
This high school fast and furious mentality is exactly the reason I dislike most Honda owners.

evan.larose1

Piston sleeves, rods ext. His was built to have a turbo.
This is why we Honda owners Dont like whatever you drive..*still not stated... And I'm 24 had my first car when I was 11 . 89 sunbird. Then a integra when I was 14 when i got my permit. Then a 97 Caddilac Deville on 20 inch Daytons. Lol back when I thought rims were cool.
.then an accord. Then a 93 3800 park ave 2.5 inch pully for replaced Eaton s/c.
Then a crown Vic p71 police interceptor with a Marauder kit.
Then a big ol 94 suburban . then I got the Chrysler cirrus and then my white civic. Then I decided to get a turbo Honda since I liked my na Honda soo much.
And that's my life story. So I'm not biased by all means. You are an ass trying to make me look young and dumb. Move on old man you are not helping.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Piston sleeves, rods ext. His was built to have a turbo.
This is why we Honda owners Dont like whatever you drive..*still not stated... And I'm 24 had my first car when I was 11 . 89 sunbird. Then a integra when I was 14 when i got my permit. Then a 97 Caddilac Deville on 20 inch Daytons. Lol back when I thought rims were cool.
.then an accord. Then a 93 3800 park ave 2.5 inch pully for replaced Eaton s/c.
Then a crown Vic p71 police interceptor with a Marauder kit.
Then a big ol 94 suburban . then I got the Chrysler cirrus and then my white civic. Then I decided to get a turbo Honda since I liked my na Honda soo much.
And that's my life story. So I'm not biased by all means. You are an ass trying to make me look young and dumb. Move on old man you are not helping.
Aaaaannnnnddd you are making yourself look like an ass by fighting back. Listing cars you have owned doesn't do anything towards your cause, nor does it help you get anywhere on this "build".

I would take all the advice XpL0d3r has given you. Turn the boost way down, get the leaks fixed, replace the head gasket because you lifted the head pushing it too hard, and get it tuned by a proper tuner that can work with Chrome. If none of that is taken, it is only a matter of time before this engine is fatally removed from the driving pool. Hopefully you racing "at the end of the week" hasn't done irreparable damage. There is no way a stock d16 should be running any kind of boost after lifting the head and leaking like yours is, especially not 10 lbs.

To be honest, I would start building that "spare" motor you have. You are going to need it and if you do it right it will last longer than the one you have now that is probably too far gone.

evan.larose1

Aaaaannnnnddd you are making yourself look like an ass by fighting back. Listing cars you have owned doesn't do anything towards your cause, nor does it help you get anywhere on this "build".

I would take all the advice XpL0d3r has given you. Turn the boost way down, get the leaks fixed, replace the head gasket because you lifted the head pushing it too hard, and get it tuned by a proper tuner that can work with Chrome. If none of that is taken, it is only a matter of time before this engine is fatally removed from the driving pool. Hopefully you racing "at the end of the week" hasn't done irreparable damage. There is no way a stock d16 should be running any kind of boost after lifting the head and leaking like yours is, especially not 10 lbs.

To be honest, I would start building that "spare" motor you have. You are going to need it and if you do it right it will last longer than the one you have now that is probably too far gone.
Only stated what I had so I Dont look like some kid running his mouth. I was trying to stay humble. I know what I have.
My father was a transmission mechanic for 23 years . but back then they didn't use turbos lol.

thank you man you and x have helped the most. I will not push it you are right.
I just ordered the ARP studs and a Hg I will order .
OEM h.g or ..?
Once I get the head studs I have seen people running stock d16 on 15 psi. Of course I will be eventually building up the internals after all leaks are stopped.
First internal after studs would be...?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I just ordered the ARP studs and a Hg I will order .
OEM h.g or ..?
Once I get the head studs I have seen people running stock d16 on 15 psi. Of course I will be eventually building up the internals after all leaks are stopped.
First internal after studs would be...?
I previously recommended to you a Fel-Pro HG. This is still my recommendation.

Do NOT... let me make this a little larger for you because it's very important... do NOT turn the boost up to 15 after you get just the head studs in. If you do, I 110% agree with the below statement:

Just because the head doesn't lift with ARP studs still doesn't mean the motor itself can handle that amount of pressure... detonation will most likely surely occur. If that happens, then you WILL be taking the quoted above advice.

Build the internals, get it professionally tuned to whatever the TUNER thinks is safe. It's their job to get FI motors running properly -- leave it to them.

evan.larose1

OK I will not. The engine is still running great no lifter noise or anything.
Like I said I only brought this car to the rev limit once and my check engine light flickered as a shift light lol. I Dont beat on it like my friend does with his y8 he loves to slap the rev limit at least 3 or 4 times lol thats when I blow by him.
Anyhow the open downpipe makes it sound like a diesel truck I can have it welded to a full 4 in exhaust. Either way I have to move it I like the open for turbo spool and top speed but hate the raspy sound but sounds mean when I get on it.
So my question for that would be would I loose low end tq and high end tq by hooking the whole exhaust up?

I previously recommended to you a Fel-Pro HG. This is still my recommendation.

Do NOT... let me make this a little larger for you because it's very important... do NOT turn the boost up to 15 after you get just the head studs in. If you do, I 110% agree with the below statement:

Just because the head doesn't lift with ARP studs still doesn't mean the motor itself can handle that amount of pressure... detonation will most likely surely occur. If that happens, then you WILL be taking the quoted above advice.

Build the internals, get it professionally tuned to whatever the TUNER thinks is safe. It's their job to get FI motors running properly -- leave it to them.
And I Dont like to smell like fuel everywhere I go lol.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is why we Honda owners Dont like whatever you drive..*still not stated...
This is for you to figure out.....I will tell you, you're comment above will holds no water.

You are an ass trying to make me look young and dumb.
I haven't done any of that....you've done fine.
You're responses and the way you have presented yourself as a "Honda supporter", are embarrassing and only help support the stereotypes of what most ppl think in the car hobby when you tell them you drive a Honda.

Best of luck in your build, we'll see what happens in a year....

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You'd lose slight but very minimal power. I just left mine to vent to atmosphere. But I love the smell of fuel. My ex got sick from it once though. :lol:

evan.larose1

This is for you to figure out.....I will tell you, you're comment above will holds no water.

I haven't done any of that....you've done fine.
You're responses and the way you have presented yourself as a "Honda supporter", are embarrassing and only help support the stereotypes of what most ppl think in the car hobby when you tell them you drive a Honda.

Best of luck in your build, we'll see what happens in a year....
So you drive a crx.. You probably know everything there is to know. You are right. You win. I'll give you that buddy I have some learning to do.
If I didn't we would not be talking. I respect peoples opinions and disregard any negative comments since as stated, I'm relatively new into the forced induction turbo aspect. So forgive me if I come off childish. That's really not how I wanted my thread to be.
But I appreciate you and will think about the things you say. you will be motivation for me to see what happens in a year.

I am here to learn not to argue have a good day buddy.

evan.larose1

You'd lose slight but very minimal power. I just left mine to vent to atmosphere. But I love the smell of fuel. My ex got sick from it once though. [emoji38]
I just would kind of like to hear the turbo a little better and the blow off valve. I feel like if I ran the full exhaust I would be able to hear it better and it would not be as annoying. Well to other people.. I. myself enjoy it.lol
And don't get me wrong I love the smell of that fuel. My bro can't stand it hurts his eyes and whatnot . meh lol. And sorry I'm using speech to text have to keep correcting myself

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I just would kind of like to hear the turbo a little better and the blow off valve. I feel like I thought I ran the full exhaust I would be able to hear it better and would not be as annoying. Well tell other people I. myself enjoy it.
And don't get me wrong I love the smell of that fuel. My bro can't stand it hurts his eyes and whatnot . meh lol
Short video of my Civic venting to atmosphere; you can definitely hear the turbo spooling up.

I had a 3" catless exhaust. 4" is a little large for a Civic IMO.

https://instagram.com/p/z3Tuzpyzgq/?taken-by=xpl0d3r

Let me know if you can't see that for some reason. Also this video is the last one ever taken of the Civic. Literally a minute after this snapchat in which I yell "she lives!"... she died. :(

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would look to a cast manifold. Custom manifold will eventually crack. (Unless you have welding skills and can fix the cracks every month)

FOr turbo, the 50 trim is a proven turbo for single jingle D's

If the car was tuned for 9lbs, then leave the boost at 9lbs. Adding more air causes a lean condition, more heat and finally, detonaton.

If your unsure of what is going on with it, have the head surfaced, get the ARP studs, cast manifold, and whatever turbo you want to use, then tow it to a reputable tuner.

Now of course all this cost money.. so quit driving the s**t out of it if you have no idea what the AFR is or if the engine has sustained damage!

evan.larose1

Short video of my Civic venting to atmosphere; you can definitely hear the turbo spooling up.

I had a 3" catless exhaust. 4" is a little large for a Civic IMO.

https://instagram.com/p/z3Tuzpyzgq/?taken-by=xpl0d3r

Let me know if you can't see that for some reason. Also this video is the last one ever taken of the Civic. Literally a minute after this snapchat in which I yell "she lives!"... she died. :(
Yes yours sounded nice I like the whistle I dont get that..

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
WTF is that AFR gauge doing? I couldnt see the AFR readout.

Im not familiar with AEM's gauge..

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So you drive a crx.. You probably know everything there is to know. You are right. You win. I'll give you that buddy I have some learning to do.
If I didn't we would not be talking. I respect peoples opinions and disregard any negative comments since as stated, I'm relatively new into the forced induction turbo aspect. So forgive me if I come off childish. That's really not how I wanted my thread to be.
But I appreciate you and will think about the things you say. you will be motivation for me to see what happens in a year.

I am here to learn not to argue have a good day buddy.
I'm harsh, but realistic.
I don't know everything and am not looking to "win".
But, what I do know is what I have learned from 1st hand experiences throughout the years as well as reading up on builds, both good and bad, to kind of give me a gauge of what to do, what not to do and how to troubleshoot.
It really burns me to see folks who don't know what they're doing, buy something with their hard earned money, then not know what to do with it, nor do it correctly.
I appreciate everything else you said otherwise.
Good luck, and will try to help where i can.