New Member 1st Ever Honda

sjonesd3

So I've always wanted a manual transmission and cars in general growing up partly due to Fast & Furious (not a ricer) but never had the chance to get one due to no one that I know having one. As I grew older I began to appreciate cars more and how they run. Well my transmission on my previous car was going out so I traded it in for a 2000 EX. First ever stick shift car and luckily I've had some good teachers to help me.
No ideas for mods so far just trying to master the driving part. I know that I do want to get rid of the hubcaps and get either some alloy rims or something. Eventually a double din w/ GPS and bluetooth after I get an alarm installed.

Happy to join you guys,
Stephan

[URL=http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/sjonesd3/media/20150610_173753_zps2qndh8ja.jpg.html][/URL]

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Good choice for a first car. Looks pretty clean in the engine bay, and it even came with mudguards and upgraded plug wires.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
White 6th gens are good looking cars.
Underhood looks very clean, how many miles on this?

sjonesd3

White 6th gens are good looking cars.
Underhood looks very clean, how many miles on this?
Thanks and about 139,xxx. What's some advice on 1st mods after I fully get the driving down?

sjonesd3

Also I'm looking up alarm systems & kill switch. I've read on here that Clifford & Viper are pretty good ones to go with. I'll probably get one within the next week. Which one would you go with and what features?

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's a very clean base to start with. With all the general maintenance taken care of, you might want to start with the suspension.

sjonesd3

That's a very clean base to start with. With all the general maintenance taken care of, you might want to start with the suspension.
What would you suggest? Since I'm in Florida and our roads are messed up I'm thinking about getting it dropped. What other mods could improve the suspension/handling?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Clifford,viper,python and I'm sure others are all made by dei so just get which ever model you think has the best options and looks good to you. Also I would stay away from the alarms that have an antenna on the fob, the break off over time

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What would you suggest? Since I'm in Florida and our roads are messed up I'm thinking about getting it dropped. What other mods could improve the suspension/handling?
I would browse this forum and others to see what different drops look like with different set ups. The CC store offers many different spring/shock or coil over options at competitive prices. I purchased my Koni STR.T shocks & Tein S Tech springs from the store and at the time they had the best prices I could find.

sjonesd3

I pretty much found out the order I want to go.
1. Alarm *Most definitely important. Still doing research. Only requirements; 2-way, kill switch, and possibly a cell phone compatibility.

2. Upgrade Headunit. *Looking at double din w/ heavy emphasis on GPS & Bluetooth. Tired of looking down at my phone for turn by turn.*

3. Speakers *Don't really care about subs yet. Definitely don't want to draw attention. Looking more towards door & rear speakers*

4. Rims *Not sure which brand yet just looking around. Trying to see what colors go well with a white car.*

5. Fog Lights *Had them on my previous car loved them.*

6. HIDs *Definitely don't want anything blinding just brighter/clearer

7. Suspension *Wanting to lower a bit but not sure if I should go rims or suspension first. Had a typo earlier I meant that, "Our streets aren't messed up down here"

8. Exterior * Just a Type R grill. Get car repainted not sure about what kind of lip researching that as well.*

9. Performance *Not sure yet still researching. Don't really have any goals for that part. Just trying to keep my car fuel efficient for now & running in tip top shape before I even look at that.
10. Discs Brakes *Plan to upgrade my drums to discs

Last edited:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Careful with the HID's. Simply installing HID's in a factory halogen housing won't suffice. The light will scatter and blind other drivers, plus you'll actually have less useable light. Look into retrofitting if you want HID's.

There are actually a few DIY's on here for that.

Anyways, looks like a clean start and congrats on getting a stick! Stick shifts are the best!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

sjonesd3

Careful with the HID's. Simply installing HID's in a factory halogen housing won't suffice. The light will scatter and blind other drivers, plus you'll actually have less useable light. Look into retrofitting if you want HID's.

There are actually a few DIY's on here for that.

Anyways, looks like a clean start and congrats on getting a stick! Stick shifts are the best!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Yup that's was my idea too, retrofitting because I've heard about the bad & dangerous output. Thanks, and yea I'm slowly getting good. Just working on my taking offs, reversing, and smoother shifting.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Discs Brakes *Plan to upgrade my drums to discs
Unless you want it for the looks or for ease of changing pads, I wouldn't bother with it.
You're not gaining anything else over drums.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I love my alpine ine-w940, gps works great and the sound quality with stock speakers is pretty amazing, only thing I wished it has was either a Web browser or a screen mirror feature. Mine cost 750 because I didn't look anywhere else, on ebay they run for $500 though.

If your going to get hids I recommend the morimoto hid retrofit kit, it runs about $320 but you get the projectors and hid kit. I think some jdm ctr headlights would look fantastic on your white car but if you want some headlight like them look up inline4 on facebook and go to their store, they have some good quality knockoffs for cheap.

Oh and drums blow, if I ever have spare money and see a disk brake setup I'm going to switch over

sjonesd3

I love my alpine ine-w940, gps works great and the sound quality with stock speakers is pretty amazing, only thing I wished it has was either a Web browser or a screen mirror feature. Mine cost 750 because I didn't look anywhere else, on ebay they run for $500 though.

If your going to get hids I recommend the morimoto hid retrofit kit, it runs about $320 but you get the projectors and hid kit. I think some jdm ctr headlights would look fantastic on your white car but if you want some headlight like them look up inline4 on facebook and go to their store, they have some good quality knockoffs for cheap.

Oh and drums blow, if I ever have spare money and see a disk brake setup I'm going to switch over
Thanks I'll look into that model. I always hear good reviews about Alpine.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea I just heard that they're a PITA to change drum brakes
They're not bad, but not as easy as discs brakes.
But really, how often are you going to need to change them, not nearly as often as the fronts.

sjonesd3

I was able to find the Alpine radio I definitely like the reviews . I found the Morimoto kit which output would you go with that isn't blinding bright? I'm trying to look up the inline4 on facebook but not having to much luck. I found their website but I'm having trouble finding the jdm center lights. Are these the ones? http://www.inlinefour.com/jdmcivhead.html