Subframe brace; Progress or ASR?

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Title is pretty self explanatory lol

Opinions?

Also, since I'm coming into some money soon, and know to stay away from Rokkor, Raceland, etc. What complete coilover do yall reccomend? Is Skunk2 still any good?

I'd like to stay at or under $750, so I've been looking at the Function Forms, or the Tein setups.

Opinions?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I cant speak from experience, but the F&Fs and Tein coilover set-ups both have great reputations within that price range. I'd lean toward trying the Tein set myself. Is there a reason you specifically want coilovers over a strut/spring set-ups?

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ASR > Progress. And Tein > Skunk2.

Tein's have a generally softer spring rate setup than Skunk2. So if you want to go low, head towards Skunk2, but if you're leaning more towards comfort/track then choose Tein.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hex: I bought the car with blown the eff out OE struts and what I can only assume are eBay coils. It's a little too low for my personal preference, and I'd like the ability to try different heights until I find what suits me best. If I get a strut/coil setup, I'm stuck, with no chance to change for a while.

Dominick: You're saying you'd get the ASR brace, and Tein coilovers, correct? As far as the low vs comfort, I want a happy median lol I do not want bouncy or harsh. My front struts bottom out any time they're dampened to quick, like going over RR tracks, etc. I don't ever want to feel that again.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Dominick: You're saying you'd get the ASR brace, and Tein coilovers, correct? As far as the low vs comfort, I want a happy median lol I do not want bouncy or harsh. My front struts bottom out any time they're dampened to quick, like going over RR tracks, etc. I don't ever want to feel that again.
Yep. Tein is a great company. They go low, but not as low as others. Function/Form go mad low from what I've seen, and I've heard mixed reviews about its comfort.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Awesome. Tein it is then. Now, basis, or street advance... Guess it depends if I want damper adjustability lol

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome. Tein it is then. Now, basis, or street advance... Guess it depends if I want damper adjustability lol
I'd go for the Advance. That's what I ordered. They are a revamp of the old Super Street model, which I had back in the day and loved. Basis' are good as well though.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Awesome, I'll update in 3 to 4 weeks when I get my settlement. The waiting is gonna kill me. Sigh.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yep. Tein is a great company. They go low, but not as low as others. Function/Form go mad low from what I've seen, and I've heard mixed reviews about its comfort.
This is the main problem...they go very low, but they are NOT meant to be set that low. They even come with a warning in the box to not set them any lower than how they arrive although there is plenty room to go further down. When you drop below that point, they ride much worse and that's where all the failures happen as well.

The vast majority that choose to buy that suspension, buys it for the low factor, so they are shooting themselves in the foot.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Chiming in to say I have Tein Street Advance on my RSX and I am VERY happy with them. Night and day difference compared to stock, and honestly not that harsh of a ride. Bumps are meh, but for the most part I never even notice.

I had Tein Street Basis on my Civic, and I did not like them one bit. One blew within a couple months of me owning. I was slammed, though.

I am set to recommended spec + 1/16" lower with my RSX.